List of cities in Malta
This is a list of cities in Malta. By the usual standards that most other countries use when designating a city, Malta's cities would be too small to be considered such, and in fact Malta is sometimes regarded as a single city-state. Malta's cities are regarded as such because they received the designation of "città" at some point during their history. In Maltese law, no distinction is made between cities, towns, and villages; and city status is purely honorary. Malta is divided into 68 local councils. The local councils which have city status all feature a mural crown on the crest of their coat of arms. The table shows historical cities:
|Local council||Historical city name||Year granted||Region||Image||Population
|Birgu||Città Vittoriosa||1530||South Eastern Region||2629||Capital city from 1530 to 1571, and one of the Three Cities. City status confirmed following the Great Siege of Malta in 1565.|
|Bormla||Città Cospicua||1722||South Eastern Region||5395||One of the Three Cities. City status granted in 1722 by Grand Master Marc'Antonio Zondadari.|
|Northern Region||292||Capital city from antiquity to 1530.|
|Qormi||Città Pinto||1743||Southern Region||16779||City status granted on 25 May 1743 by Grand Master Manuel Pinto da Fonseca, following a request made by Don Giuseppe Vella.|
|Rabat||Città Victoria||1887||Gozo Region||6901||Capital city of Gozo. City status granted on 10 June 1887 by Queen Victoria, following a petition made by Bishop Pietro Pace and Chief Justice Adrian Dingli on occasion of Victoria's Golden Jubilee.|
|Senglea||Città Invicta||1565||South Eastern Region||2784||One of the Three Cities. City status granted following the Great Siege of Malta in 1565.|
|Siġġiewi||Città Ferdinand||1797||Southern Region||8367||City status granted on 30 December 1797 by Grand Master Ferdinand von Hompesch zu Bolheim, following a petition made by Don Salvatore Corso and the inhabitants.|
|Valletta||Città Umilissima||1571||South Eastern Region||6444||Capital city since 18 March 1571.|
|Żabbar||Città Hompesch||1797||South Eastern Region||15404||City status granted on 14 September 1797 by Grand Master Ferdinand von Hompesch zu Bolheim, following a request made by Don Carlo Caruana and the inhabitants. In 1801, the Hompesch Gate was built to commemorate this event.|
|Żebbuġ||Città Rohan||1777||Southern Region||11903||City status granted on 21 June 1777 by Grand Master Emmanuel de Rohan-Polduc, following a petition made by the inhabitants. In 1798, the De Rohan Arch was built to commemorate this event.|
|Żejtun||Città Beland||1797||South Eastern Region||11508||City status granted on 30 December 1797 by Grand Master Ferdinand von Hompesch zu Bolheim, following a petition made by Don Giacomo Michele Tortella and the inhabitants.|
Birkirkara Birżebbuġa Cospicua (Bormla) Fgura Floriana Fontana Għasri Għarb Gudja Għajnsielem Gżira Ħad-Dingli Ħal Kirkop Ħal Għaxaq Ħal Balzan Ħal Qormi Ħal Luqa Ħal Lija Ħal Tarxien Ħal Safi Ħal Għargħur Ħamrun Ħaż-Żabbar Ħ'Attard Ħaż-Żebbuġ Iklin Manikata Kalkara Marsa Imsida Imqabba Marsaskala Marsalforn Marsaxlokk Mellieħa Mdina Mġarr Mġarr Harbour Mosta Mtarfa Munxar Nadur Naxxar Nigret Pembroke Paola Paceville Qala Qrendi Qawra San Ġwann Rabat San Lawrenz Santa Venera Santa Luċija Senglea (L-Isla) SmartCity Malta Siġġiewi St. Julian's St. Paul's Bay Swieqi Ta' Kerċem Ta' Qali Ta' Sannat Ta’ Xbiex Tal-Pietà Tas-Sliema Valletta Victoria Vittoriosa (Birgu) Xagħra Xewkija Xlendi Żebbuġ Żejtun Żurrieq
- "Flags, Symbols and their uses". gov.mt. Government of Malta. Archived from the original on 29 June 2015.
- "Estimated Population by Locality 31st March, 2014". Government of Malta. 16 May 2014. Archived from the original on 21 June 2015.
- Guillaumier, Alfie (1987). Bliet u Rħula Maltin (in Maltese). Valletta: Valletta Publishing & Promotion Co. Ltd. p. 41.
- "Bormla (Città Cospicua)". lc.gov.mt. Archived from the original on 31 October 2015.
- Zammit, Vincent (1992). Il-Gran Mastri - Ġabra ta' Tagħrif dwar l-Istorja ta' Malta fi Żmienhom - It-Tieni Volum 1680–1798 (in Maltese). Valletta: Valletta Publishing & Promotion Co. Ltd. pp. 427–428.
- "The Conferment of The Title of City". Victoria Local Council. Archived from the original on 8 July 2015.
- Guillaumier (1987), p. 324
- Zammit (1992), pp. 513–516
- Gaul, Simon (2007). Malta, Gozo & Comino. New Holland Publishers. p. 100. ISBN 9781860113659.
- "The De Rohan Arch". Haz-Zebbug.com. Archived from the original on 31 October 2015.