Rani Durgavati Vishwavidyalaya
|Chancellor||Governor Om Prakash Kohli|
|Vice-Chancellor||Kapil Dev Mishra|
|Location||Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|Other names||University of Jabalpur|
Rani Durgavati Vishwavidyalaya (Rani Durgavati University), also known as University of Jabalpur, is a government university in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, India. It was named after the queen Rani Durgavati. It is the main university of this city and has been graded as B++ by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
The university was constituted and established on 12 June 1956 under the Jabalpur University Act, 1956 (Act No. 22 of 1956) with territorial jurisdiction over Jabalpur revenue district. It shifted to its present location at Saraswati Vihar, Pachpedi, Jabalpur in 1961.
The university was renamed Rani Durgavati Vishwavidyalaya on 7 June 1983 by Act No. 23 of 1983 to honour the well-known valorous Gond Queen of Garha Mandla. It was reconstituted under M.P. Vishwavidyalaya Adhiniyam, 1973 and given jurisdiction over Jabalpur, Mandla, Seoni, Balaghat and Narsinghpur, Katni, Dindori, Chindwara.
The university campus is spread over 99.63 acres (403,200 m2) of scenic beauty and environment-friendly surroundings. It accommodates an Administrative Block, Art Faculty building, Teaching and Research buildings of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Bio-Science, System Science and Physical education departments. It has a Central Library, Computer Center, USIC, University Institute of Management, University Law Department and other facilities like one boys' and one girls' hostels, University Health Center, University Guest House, Canteen and residential quarters. Other facilities like post office, bank and printing press are on the campus. It is, therefore, possible to say that the university campus is a city within the city of Jabalpur.
The UGC-Academic Staff College (Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma Bhawan) is one of the best in the country. It has so far conducted 73 orientation programmes and 195 refresher courses. Over 7600 teachers have been benefited by these courses.
Notable faculty and academics
Dr. Kunji Lal Dubey, who subsequently became the speaker, Vidhan Sabha of M.P., was the first vice-chancellor of the university. Subsequently, distinguished academicians like Dr. Dhirendra Verma, Dr. Raj Bali Pandey and Dr. H. P. Dikshit adorned the post. Prof. H. P. Dikshit is the vice-chancellor of Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi.
Prof. T. Pati, who later on became the vice-chancellor of Allahabad University, taught Mathematics with distinction. Prof. T. S. Murty was founder professor of Physics, who became the Vice-Chancellor of Sagar University and later the founder Director General of M.P. Council of Science and Technology Bhopal; Prof. S. C. Datt (Physics), Dr. C. D. Sharma (Philosophy), Prof. Baijnath Sharma (History), Prof. Hiralal Jain (Sanskrit) and Prof. S. Swaminathan (English) were teachers. Dr. Baijnath Sharma became the vice-chancellor of Barkatullah University. Prof. Mahesh Datt Mishra, a prominent Gandhian thinker, was a professor of political science. He now heads the Gandhi Srijan Peeth of the University.
Rani Durgavati University has produced many internationally acclaimed academicians and scientists. 25 distinctions and awards have been given to its teachers and students and 24 international fellowships have been won by faculty members. In the past five years, 292 research scholars have won Ph.D. degrees and have earned D.Sc. and D. Litt. degrees. 62 research projects, with an outlay of Rs. 4.32 Crores have been completed during this period. Currently 39 research projects with a budgetary provision of Rs. 1.89 Crores are in progress.
Following institutes are affiliated with the university:
- Lakshmi Narain College of Technology, Jabalpur
- Vivek Jyoti College of Education, Balaghat
- Satpura College of Technology, Balaghat
- Rana Hanuman Singh College, Balaghat
- Shri Laxmikanta college of Technology, Balaghat
- Balaghat Snatak Mahavidyalaya, Balaghat
- Lokmanya College of Education, Balaghat
- Balaghat Paramedical College, Balaghat
- Shivam College of Kannagi, Balaghat
- Agrasen Institute Of Paramedical Science, Balaghat
- Syum Shri Institute of Paramedical Technology, Balaghat
- Satya Sai College of Shiksha Mahavidyalaya, Balaghat
- Smt. S.M. Deo Homeopathic and Biochemic Medical College & Hospital, Balaghat.
- Gracious College of Nursing, Balaghat
- Oriental B.Ed College, Lalburra
- Mekhlasutta Mahavidyalaya, Dindori
- Gyaneshwari B.Ed College, Dindori
- St. Aloysius College, Jabalpur
- Mata Gujri Mahila Mahavidyalaya
- "President Patil gives away awards to Sanskrit, Persian, Arabic, Pali Prakrit scholars". WebIndia123. June 20, 2012. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
- "List of colleges affiliated with RDVV" (PDF). rdunijbpin.org (in Hindi). Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "Madhya Pradesh Council Of Homoeopathy". mpschbhopal.nic.in. Retrieved 15 August 2014.