List of colleges and universities in Rhode Island
This is a list of colleges and universities in the U.S. state of Rhode Island. There are currently 12 accredited, degree-granting institutions operating in the state, including two research universities, a community college, and a school of art.
The state's three public institutions are administered by the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education. The state operates two public universities, the University of Rhode Island and Rhode Island College, as well as the Community College of Rhode Island, which offers degrees at six locations. The Naval War College, operated by the federal United States Navy, is located in Newport. The oldest school in the state is Brown University, a member of the Ivy League and the only Rhode Island institution founded before the American Revolution. The newest is the Community College of Rhode Island, founded in 1964 in Providence as Rhode Island Junior College. Enrollment sizes range from the Naval War College at 550 students to the University of Rhode Island, the state's flagship public university, which serves over 15,000 students.
Hope College and Manning Hall at Brown University
The George E. Bello Center at Bryant University
Quadrangle at the University of Rhode Island
Clock tower of University Library at Roger Williams University
|Mount Saint Joseph College||Wakefield||1975|
|Rhode Island College of Pharmacy and Allied Sciences||Providence||1902||1957|
|Seminary of Our Lady of Providence||Warwick||1939||1975|
^a The types listed here are as categorized in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
^b Enrollment is the total enrollment listed by IPEDS for fall 2016.
^d The enrollment count for Johnson & Wales University does not include 799 students in their distance learning programs.
^e The enrollment count for the Naval War College does not include 5,116 students in their distance learning programs.
- "Roster of Institutions". New England Association of Schools and Colleges. Retrieved 2017-08-30.
- "The Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)". U.S. Department of Education National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2017-08-30.
- "History of Brown". Brown University. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Quick Facts About Bryant". Bryant University. Archived from the original on 2007-12-23. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Our History". Community College of Rhode Island. Archived from the original on 2007-05-02. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- "The History of Johnson & Wales". Johnson & Wales University. Archived from the original on 2007-08-22. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Fast Facts". U.S. Naval War College. September 2016. Retrieved 2017-08-30.
- Naval War College. "NWC History". Retrieved 2007-10-06.
- Eltsworth, Peter (2006-05-10). "NEIT trains tomorrow's auto pros". The Providence Journal. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- "College History". Providence College. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "About RIC - History". Rhode Island College. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "RISD: About RISD". Rhode Island School of Design. Archived from the original on 2007-06-08. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "History & Traditions". Roger Williams University. Archived from the original on 2007-12-27. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Quick Facts". Salve Regina University. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "History of the University". University of Rhode Island. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Closed School List". Colleges & Universities (CIHE) / Commission on Institutions of Higher Education. 2012-10-03. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Page 123, Rhode Island: A Guide to the Smallest State (Federal Writers' Program, 1937)
- Page 244, The Civic and Architectural Development of Providence, 1636-1950 (John Hutchins Cady, 1957)
- "History: The Beginnings of Catholicism in Rhode Island". Roman Catholic Diocense of Providence. Retrieved 2007-12-19.