List of colleges and universities in Rhode Island
This is a list of colleges and universities in the U.S. state of Rhode Island. There are currently 13 accredited, degree-granting institutions operating in the state, including two research universities, a community college, and a school of art.
Two of the state's public institutions are administered by the Rhode Island Board Board of Education. The other, the University of Rhode Island, is overseen by its own Board of Trustees. The state operates two public universities, the University of Rhode Island and Rhode Island College, as well as the Community College of Rhode Island, which offers degrees at six locations. The Naval War College, operated by the federal United States Navy, is located in Newport. The oldest school in the state is Brown University, a member of the Ivy League and the only Rhode Island institution founded before the American Revolution. The newest college is College Unbound in Providence. Enrollment sizes range from the College Unbound at 163 students to the University of Rhode Island, the state's flagship public university, which serves over 17,000 students.
The institutions included on this list are all accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE).
The Academic Innovation Center at Bryant University
Community College of Rhode Island, Knight Campus
Snowden Hall at Johnson & Wales University
The Ruane Center at Providence College
The Student Union at Rhode Island College
The Waterman Building at the Rhode Island School of Design
The Commons at Roger Williams University
The gates of Salve Regina University
East Hall and Washburn Hall at the University of Rhode Island
The entrance to the New England Institute of Technology
|Mount Saint Joseph College||Wakefield||1975|
|Rhode Island College of Pharmacy and Allied Sciences||Providence||1902||1957|
|Scholfield's Commercial College||Providence||1846||?|
|Seminary of Our Lady of Providence||Warwick||1939||1975|
^a The types listed here are as categorized in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
^b Enrollment is the total enrollment listed by IPEDS for fall 2019.
^c The enrollment count for Johnson & Wales University does not include 1,752 students in its distance learning programs.
^e The enrollment count for the Naval War College does not include 5,116 students in their distance learning programs.
- "RIOPC Mission & Responsibilities". Rhode Island Office of Postsecondary Commissioner. Retrieved 11 February 2021.
- Parker, Paul (24 January 2020). "Raimondo announces nominees for new URI board of trustees". The Providence Journal. Retrieved 11 February 2021.
- Phillips, Jason (6 February 2020). "New board of trustees to govern URI". The Good Five Cent Cigar. Retrieved 11 February 2021.
- "Board of Trustees". University of Rhode Island. Retrieved 11 February 2021.
- St. Amour, Madeline (2 December 2020). "College Unbound Receives Accreditation". Inside Higher Ed. Retrieved 11 February 2021.
- "Rhode Island Institutions". NECHE. Retrieved 11 February 2021.
- "The Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)". U.S. Department of Education National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2017-08-30.
- "History of Brown". Brown University. Archived from the original on 2007-12-04. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Quick Facts About Bryant". Bryant University. Archived from the original on 2007-12-23. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Our History". Community College of Rhode Island. Archived from the original on 2007-05-02. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- "The History of Johnson & Wales". Johnson & Wales University. Archived from the original on 2007-08-22. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Fast Facts". U.S. Naval War College. September 2016. Retrieved 2017-08-30.
- Naval War College. "NWC History". Archived from the original on 2007-10-18. Retrieved 2007-10-06.
- Eltsworth, Peter (2006-05-10). "NEIT trains tomorrow's auto pros". The Providence Journal. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- "College History". Providence College. Archived from the original on 2003-10-09. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "About RIC - History". Rhode Island College. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "RISD: About RISD". Rhode Island School of Design. Archived from the original on 2007-06-08. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "History & Traditions". Roger Williams University. Archived from the original on 2007-12-27. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "University Facts". Salve Regina University. Retrieved 2020-12-05.
- "History - University of Rhode Island". University of Rhode Island. Retrieved 2007-12-05.
- "Closed School List". Colleges & Universities (CIHE) / Commission on Institutions of Higher Education. 2012-10-03. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Page 123, Rhode Island: A Guide to the Smallest State (Federal Writers' Program, 1937)
- Page 244, The Civic and Architectural Development of Providence, 1636-1950 (John Hutchins Cady, 1957)
- Greene, Welcome Arnold (1886). The Providence Plantations for Two Hundred and Fifty Years. Providence, RI: J. A. & R. A. Reid. p. 174. Retrieved 15 January 2016.
- "History: The Beginnings of Catholicism in Rhode Island". Roman Catholic Diocense of Providence. Retrieved 2007-12-19.