List of colleges and universities in Virginia
This is a list of colleges and universities in the U.S. state of Virginia. The oldest college or university in Virginia is The College of William and Mary, founded in 1693. In 2010, the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine became the newest. The largest institution is Liberty University, with over 110,000 students. The smallest is the graduate-only Institute for the Psychological Sciences.
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia defines four categories of degree-granting institutions of postsecondary education: public institutions, established private institutions in good standing with a nationally recognized accrediting organization, private and out-of-state institutions requiring certification and institutions exempt from state oversight for religious reasons. Also exempt from certification are vocational institutions supervised by other state agencies, and institutions supervised by the federal government. All public institutions and most traditional private institutions are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Other state-certified private non-religious institutions are accredited by a national organization, though a few do not have any accreditation. Some small religious institutions do not have accreditation.
Public and established private institutions
Private and out-of-state institutions
Primarily religious institutions
|Baptist Theological Seminary at Richmond||Richmond||Private||Special focus||ATS||1991||Unknown|
|Washington Bible College and Capital Bible Seminary (Springfield Extension)||Springfield||Private||Uncategorized||none||1958||Unknown|
|John Leland Center for Theological Studies||Falls Church||Private||Uncategorized||none||1998||Unknown|
|Virginia Theological Seminary||Alexandria||Private||Uncategorized||none||1818||Unknown|
|William Samson University||Alexandria||Private||Doctoral university||None||2012||Unknown|
|Union Presbyterian Seminary||Richmond||Private||Special focus||ATS||2012||Unknown|
|Saint Paul's College||Lawrenceville||1888||2013|
|University of Northern Virginia||Annandale||1998||2014|
|Virginia Intermont College||Bristol||1884||2014|
- Higher education in the United States
- List of American institutions of higher education
- List of recognized higher education accreditation organizations
- List of colleges and universities
- List of colleges and universities by country
References and notes
- Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. "The Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education". Archived from the original on 2008-08-22. Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- National Center for Education Statistics. "Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System". Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- "Liberty University Quick Facts - About Liberty - Liberty University". www.liberty.edu. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- State Council of Higher Education for Virginia. "Public Colleges & Universities Authorized to Operate in Virginia". Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- State Council of Higher Education for Virginia. "Private Institutions exempt from certification". Archived from the original on 2011-10-03. Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- State Council of Higher Education for Virginia. "Explanation of Certification". Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- State Council of Higher Education for Virginia. "Private & Out-of-State Colleges & Universities Certified to Operate in Virginia". Archived from the original on 2011-09-29. Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- State Council of Higher Education for Virginia. "Private Institutions that Confer Religious Degrees". Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- Primary campus for Virginia-based institutions.
- School types are based on the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. "Uncategorized" indicates they are not listed by Carnegie.
- Enrollment as of 2009; data is from IPEDS unless otherwise noted.
- IPEDS lists multiple locations in Virginia; enrollment numbers are combined here.
- SCHEV lists multiple locations.
- Averett University's non-traditional programs are listed separately in IPEDS; enrollment numbers are combined here.
- Not supervised by SCHEV Archived 2012-04-07 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Stratford University". Stratford.edu.
- "Sweet Briar College". Sbc.edu. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- "Advanced Technology Institute". Auto.edu. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "ACCT: American College of Commerce and Technology". Acct2day.org. 2011-01-17. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "American College for Commerce and Technology August 2017" (PDF). Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- APUS is an online university. The Manassas office is administrative.
- "Aviation Institute Of Maintenance". Aviationmaintenance.edu. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Home". Bethel-college.com. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Bon Secours Memorial College of Nursing". Bsmcon.edu. 2012-09-25. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Centura College Career School". Centuracollege.edu. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Columbia College Washington D.C". Ccdc.edu. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Welcome to Global Health College! - Global Health College | Global Health College". Ghnts.com. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Computer training and certification center in Virginia Beach - Hyperlearning Technologies". Hyperlearn.com. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "IGlobal University". IGlobal University. Archived from the original on 2012-10-23. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "International College of Washington". Intcw.com. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Kings Park University | School of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine". Kpu.us. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "NGS | The National Graduate School of Quality Management | National Graduate School". Ngs.edu. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Massage Therapy Training | School of Massage Therapy | NMTI". Studymassage.com. 2012-05-21. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Patrick Henry College Essentials". Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- "Home". Rsht.edu. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "index". Stmichaelcollegeva.us. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Southeast Culinary & Hospitality College". Southeastculinary.edu. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "srmconline.org". srmconline.org. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "University of North America". Uona.edu. Retrieved 2014-10-21.
- "Associate Degree, College Degrees - Virginia College". Vc.edu. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Virginia School of Massage - Massage Therapy Schools". VASOM. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- "Virginia University of Oriental Medicine | VUOM Site". Vuom.org. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-09-16. Retrieved 2011-10-12.
- "Virginia Intermont closes after 130 years". Retrieved 2016-05-05.