List of companies of Iceland
Iceland is a Nordic island country in the North Atlantic Ocean. It has a population of 348,580 and an area of 103,000 km2 (40,000 sq mi), making it the most sparsely populated country in Europe. The capital and largest city is Reykjavík. Reykjavík and the surrounding areas in the southwest of the country are home to over two-thirds of the population. Iceland is volcanically and geologically active.
Iceland has a market economy with relatively low taxes compared to other OECD countries. It maintains a Nordic social welfare system that provides universal health care and tertiary education for its citizens. Iceland ranks high in economic, political and social stability and equality. In 2013, it was ranked as the 13th most-developed country in the world by the United Nations' Human Development Index. Iceland runs almost completely on renewable energy. Affected by the ongoing worldwide financial crisis, the nation's entire banking system systemically failed in October 2008, leading to a severe depression, substantial political unrest, the Icesave dispute, and the institution of capital controls. Many bankers were jailed, and the economy has made a significant recovery, in large part due to a surge in tourism.
As of 2011, there are approximately 32,500 companies registered in Iceland of which 14,500 (45%) are active.
This list includes notable companies with primary headquarters located in the country. The industry and sector follow the Industry Classification Benchmark taxonomy. Organizations which have ceased operations are included and noted as defunct.
|365||365 - miðlar ehf||Consumer services||Media||Reykjavík||1986||Broadcaster|
|Advania||Advania ehf||Technology||Software||Reykjavík||2012||Information technology|
|Air Iceland||Flugfélag Íslands ehf||Consumer services||Travel & leisure||Reykjavík||1997||Airline|
|Arctic Trucks||Arctic Trucks Ísland ehf||Industrials||Commercial vehicles & trucks||Reykjavík||1990||Exploration and commercial vehicles|
|ÁTVR||Áfengis- og tóbaksverslun ríkisins||Consumer services||Retail||Reykjavík||1998||Alcohol/tobacco state monopoly|
|Bónus||Bónus||Consumer services||Retail||Reykjavík||1989||No-frills supermarket|
|Carbon Recycling International (CRI)||Carbon Recycling International||Oil & gas||Alternative energy||Reykjavík||2006||Renewable methanol|
|CCP Games||CCP hf||Technology||Software||Reykjavík||1997||Video game developer|
|Dagsbrún||Dagsbrún ehf||Conglomerates||Reykjavík||2003||Telecommunications, media, security|
|deCODE genetics||Íslensk erfðagreining ehf||Health care||Biotechnology||Reykjavík||1996||Gene research|
|Egill Skallagrímsson Brewery||Ölgerðin Egils Skallagrímsson||Consumer goods||Food & beverage||Reykjavík||1913||Brewery|
|Eimskipafélag Íslands||Eimskipafélag Íslands hf||Industrials||Marine transportation||Reykjavík||1914||Nasdaq Iceland: HFEIM, The Icelandic Steamship Company|
|FRISK Software International||Friðrik Skúlason ehf||Technology||Software||Reykjavík||1993||Antivirus software|
|Hagar||Hagar ehf||Consumer goods||Food & beverage||Reykjavík||2003||Food holding, includes Hagkaup and Bónus|
|Hagkaup||Hagkaup||Consumer services||Retail||Reykjavík||1959||Hypermarket chain|
|HB Grandi||HB Grandi hf||Consumer goods||Food & beverage||Reykjavík||2004||Fishing|
|Icelandair||Icelandair ehf||Consumer services||Travel & leisure||Reykjavík||1937||Airline|
|Icelandair Group||Icelandair Group hf||Consumer services||Travel & leisure||Reykjavík||1937||Travel and tourism group|
|Íslandsbanki||Íslandsbanki hf||Financials||Banks||Reykjavík||2008||State-owned bank|
|Íslandspóstur||Íslandspóstur hf||Industrials||Industrial transportation||Reykjavík||1776||Postal services/shipping|
|Landsbankinn||NBI hf||Financials||Banks||Reykjavík||2008||State-owned bank|
|Mannvit Engineering||Mannvit hf||Industrials||Industrial engineering||Reykjavík||1963||Engineering and consulting|
|Marel||Marel hf||Industrials||Industrial machinery||Garðabær||1983||Nasdaq Iceland: MARL|
|Marorka||Marorka ehf||Technology||Software||Reykjavík||2002||Energy management software and research|
|MP Bank||MP Banki hf||Financials||Banks||Reykjavík||2003||Investment/commercial bank|
|Nói Síríus||Nói-Siríus hf||Consumer goods||Food & beverage||Reykjavík||1920||Chocolates|
|Nyherji||Nýherji hf||Technology||Computer services||Reykjavík||1992||Computer services, software consulting|
|Ossur||Össur hf||Health care||Medical Equipment||Reykjavík||1971||Nasdaq Iceland: OSSR|
|Promens||Promens hf||Industrials||General industrials||Kópavogur||1984||Packaging, plastics|
|RÚV||Ríkisútvarpið ohf||Consumer services||Media||Reykjavík||1930||The Icelandic National Broadcasting Service|
|Síminn||Síminn hf||Telecommunications||Fixed line telecommunications||Reykjavík||1906||Also provide mobile telecom|
|Sláturfélag Suðurlands||Sláturfélag Suðurlands svf||Consumer goods||Food & beverage||Reykjavík||1907||Food producer co-op|
|Vodafone Iceland||Fjarskipti hf||Telecommunications||Mobile Telecommunications||Reykjavík||2003||Vodafone (UK) branded firm|
|WOW air||Wow Air ehf.||Consumer services||Travel & leisure||Reykjavík||2011||Low-cost airline|
- "Statistics Iceland". Government. The National Statistical Institute of Iceland. 14 September 2008. Retrieved 14 September 2008.
- "OECD Tax Database". Oecd.org. Archived from the original on 25 January 2010. Retrieved 26 January 2010.
- Ólafsson, Stefán (12 May 2004). "The Icelandic Welfare State and the Conditions of Children". borg.hi.is. Archived from the original on 18 August 2005. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- "2015 Human Development Report" (PDF). United Nations Development Programme. 2015. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- Worstall, Tim. "If Iceland Can Jail Bankers For The Crash Then Why Can't America?". forbes.com.
- Greenstein, Tracey (20 February 2013). "Iceland's Stabilized Economy Is A Surprising Success Story". Forbes. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- Mingels, Guido (10 January 2014). "Out of the Abyss: Looking for Lessons in Iceland's Recovery". Der Spiegel. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- Bowers, Simon (6 November 2013). "Iceland rises from the ashes of banking collapse". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- "Áttundi hver Íslendingur situr í stjórn fyrirtækis" [One of every eight Icelanders is a member of a board of directors] (in Icelandic). 11 May 2011. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
Viðskiptaráð tekur fram að samkvæmt fyrirtækjaskrá eru starfrækt 32.500 fyrirtæki en af þeim áætlar Creditinfo að um 14.500 séu virk.
- HAGA.IS Company Profile & Executives - Hagar Hf. - Wall Street Journal
- GRND.IS Company Profile & Executives - HB Grandi hf. - Wall Street Journal