List of converts to Buddhism from Hinduism
This is a list of notable converts to Buddhism from Hinduism.
- B. R. Ambedkar (1891–1956), Indian polymath, father of modern India, founder of Navayana Buddhism.
- Ashoka the Great (277–232 BCE), Indian emperor and early convert to Buddhism.
- Balachandran Chullikkadu (born 1957), Malayalam language poet from Kerala
- Jagdish Kashyap (1908–1976), Buddhist monk
- Laxman Mane (born 1949), Dalit author and social worker.
- Udit Raj (born 1958), prominent Indian social activist and Buddhist polemicist
- Rahul Sankrityayan (1893–1963), Hindi author and translator
- Iyothee Thass (1845–1914), Siddha practitioner and leader of the Dravidian movement
- Lenin Raghuvanshi (born 1970), born in upper Hindu claste, activist, one of the founding members of People's Vigilance Committee on Human Rights (PVCHR)
- Columbia University
- "Bodhisattva that the Brahman," see Chap. xvi
- History of Library Development by B. D. Panda, page 9
- Malayalam poet embraces Buddhism Rediff – January 24, 2000
- Revival of the Buddha Dhamma in India Sunday Observer – April 14, 2002
- "One lakh people convert to Buddhism". The Hindu. May 28, 2007. Retrieved April 26, 2010.
- 50,000 DALITS EMBRACE BUDDHISM – Buddhism Today
- Existential dilemmas The Hindus – June 6, 2010
- Kaveree Bamzai (April 10, 2009). "'The young surge'". India Today.