List of countries by antidepressant consumption
This is a list of countries by antidepressant consumption according to data published by the OECD.
The source for the data below is the OECD Health Statistics 2018, released by the OECD in June 2018 and updated on 8 November 2018.
The unit of measurement used by the OECD is defined daily dose (DDD), defined as "the assumed average maintenance dose per day for a drug used on its main indication in adults". The sources used by the OECD are primarily national health authorities. Definitions, sources and methodology per country is explained further in a document available on the OECD website.
|Country||Defined daily dosage
per 1 000 inhabitants per day
|Year||Data include drugs
dispensed in hospitals
|Data include non-
|Data include OTC
|Portugal||103.6||2017||No||Yes[note 1]||Yes[note 2]|
|Canada||99.6||2017||No||No||See note[note 3]||[note 4]|
|New Zealand||72.8||2014||N/A||N/A||N/A||[note 6]|
|Austria||60.5||2016||No[note 8]||See note[note 9]||No|
|Slovenia||58.6||2016||No||See note[note 10]||See note[note 11]|
|Germany||56.5||2016||No||See note[note 12]||No|
|Turkey||41||2016||No||Yes||See note[note 14]|
- Data include both reimbursed and non-reimbursed products.
- Yes, but only OTC products sold in pharmacies.
- Generally, claims for OTC drugs are not reimbursed, but OTC drugs are not explicitly excluded.
- Provisional value.
- Data include OTC drugs both from pharmacies and from other retailers.
- Difference in methodology.
- Data are based on wholesale of pharmaceuticals.
- Drug consumption in hospitals and in hospital ambulances is excluded.
- Data cover only drugs reimbursed by the sickness funds within the statutory health insurance.
- Data include all medicines with a medical prescription – compulsory health insurance, regardless of the reimbursement.
- Only OTC drugs with a medical prescription.
- Data contain exclusively the drug consumption debited to the statutory health insurance (i.e. drugs reimbursed by German Statutory Health Insurance).
- Data include drug consumption both in hospitals and in pharmacies.
- Data include drugs dispensed in pharmacies and non-reimbursed drugs.
- Estimated value.
- "OECD Health Statistics 2018". OECD. 28 June 2018. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- "OECD Health Statistics 2018: Definitions, Sources and Methods". OECD. June 2018. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- Gould, Skye; Friedman, Lauren F. (6 October 2016). "Antidepressant use is rising sharply around the world". Business Insider. Retrieved 11 May 2019.