List of countries with coalition governments
A coalition government is a cabinet of a parliamentary government in which several parties cooperate. The usual reason given for this arrangement is that no party on its own can achieve a majority in the parliament. A coalition government might also be created in a time of national difficulty or crisis, for example during wartime, to give a government the high degree of perceived political legitimacy it desires whilst also playing a role in diminishing internal political strife. In such times, parties have formed all-party coalitions (national unity governments, grand coalitions). If a coalition collapses, a confidence vote is held or a motion of no confidence is taken.
For the purposes of this list, coalitions can come in two forms. The first is produced by two or more parties joining forces after fighting elections separately to form a majority government. However, some coalitions (or alliances) are already decided before elections to give the parties the best chance of immediate government after the election.
- Albania: Socialist Party of Albania, Socialist Movement for Integration, Unity for Human Rights Party, Christian Democratic Party of Albania.
- Austria: Social Democratic Party of Austria, Austrian People's Party.
- Belgium: Christian Democratic and Flemish, Reformist Movement, Open Flemish Liberals and Democrats, New Flemish Alliance.
- Bulgaria: GERB, Reformist Bloc, Alternative for Bulgarian Revival, Patriotic Front.
- Croatia: Social Democratic Party, Croatian People's Party – Liberal Democrats, Croatian Party of Pensioners, Istrian Democratic Assembly.
- Cyprus: Democratic Rally, European Party, Ecological and Environmental Movement.
- Czech Republic: Czech Social Democratic Party, ANO 2011, Christian and Democratic Union – Czechoslovak People's Party.
- Denmark: Social Democrats, Danish Social Liberal Party.
- Estonia: Estonian Reform Party, Social Democratic Party.
- Finland: National Coalition Party, Social Democratic Party, Swedish People's Party, Christian Democrats.
- France: Socialist Party, Écologistes !, Radical Party of the Left.
- Germany: Christian Democratic Union, Christian Social Union, Social Democratic Party.
- Greece: Coalition of the Radical Left, Independent Greeks.
- Iceland: Progressive Party, Independence Party.
- Italy: Democratic Party, Civic Choice, Union of the Centre, New Centre-Right, Italian Socialist Party, Populars for Italy, Independents
- Kosovo: Democratic Party of Kosovo, New Kosovo Alliance, Turkish Democratic Party of Kosovo, Independent Liberal Party.
- Latvia: Unity, Reform Party, National Alliance, Union of Greens and Farmers.
- Lithuania: Social Democratic Party, Labour Party, Order and Justice.
- Luxembourg: Democratic Party, Luxembourg Socialist Workers' Party, The Greens.
- Macedonia: Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization-Democratic Party for Macedonian National Unity, Democratic Union for Integration, Socialist Party of Macedonia, Party for the Movement of Turks in Macedonia.
- Moldova: Liberal Democratic Party, Democratic Party.
- Monaco: Union for the Principality, National Union for the Future of Monaco, Promotion of the Monegasque Family.
- Montenegro: Democratic Party of Socialists of Montenegro, Social Democratic Party of Montenegro, Democratic Union of Albanians, Bosniak Party.
- Netherlands: People's Party for Freedom and Democracy, Labour Party
- Norway: Conservative Party, Progress Party.
- Poland: Civic Platform, Polish People's Party.
- Romania: Social Democratic Party, National Union for the Progress of Romania, Conservative Party, Liberal Reformist Party, Romanian ethnic minorities parties.
- San Marino: Sammarinese Christian Democratic Party, Popular Alliance, Freedom List, Sammarinese Union of Moderates.
- Serbia: Democratic Party, Socialist Party of Serbia, G17 Plus, Party of United Pensioners of Serbia, Social Democratic Party of Serbia, Party of Democratic Action of Sandžak, Serbian Renewal Movement.
- Slovenia: Modern Centre Party, Democratic Party of Pensioners of Slovenia, Social Democrats.
- Sweden: Swedish Social Democratic Party, Green Party (Sweden).
- Switzerland: Social Democratic Party of Switzerland, Free Democratic Party of Switzerland, Christian Democratic People's Party of Switzerland, Conservative Democratic Party of Switzerland, Swiss People's Party.
- Ukraine: Batkivshchyna, Svoboda.
- Åland: Liberals for Åland, Åland Centre.
- Faroe Islands: Union Party, People's Party, Social Democratic Party.
- Brazil: Workers' Party, Brazilian Democratic Movement Party, Progressive Party, Democratic Labour Party, Brazilian Socialist Party, Communist Party of Brazil, Republic Party.
- Chile: National Renewal, Independent Democratic Union, ChileFirst.
- Dominican Republic: Dominican Liberation Party, Institutional Social Democratic Bloc, Alliance for Democracy, Christian Democratic Union, Dominican Workers' Party, Liberal Party of the Dominican Republic.
- Panama: Democratic Change, Panameñista Party, Patriotic Union, Nationalist Republican Liberal Movement.
- Trinidad and Tobago: United National Congress, Congress of the People, Tobago Organization of the People, National Joint Action Committee,
- Guyana: A Partnership for National Unity plus Alliance for Change,
- Curaçao: Movementu Futuro Kòrsou, Partido MAN, Sovereign People.
- Greenland: Community of the People, Democrats.
- Sint Maarten: Democratic Party, United People.
- Algeria: National Liberation Front, National Rally for Democracy, Movement of Society for Peace.
- Democratic Republic of the Congo: Union of Mobutuist Democrats, People's Party for Reconstruction and Democracy, Unified Lumumbist Party, Social Movement for Renewal, Coalition of Congolese Democrats, Federalist Christian Democracy-Convention of Federalists for Christian Democracy, Christian Democrat Party (Democratic Republic of the Congo), United Congolese Convention, National Alliance Party for Unity, Union for Federalist Nationalists of Congo, Alliance for the Renewal of Congo.
- Gabon: Gabonese Democratic Party, National Woodcutters' Rally – Rally for Gabon, Democratic and Republican Alliance, Circle of Reformist Liberals, Social Democratic Party, Rally of Republican Democrats, African Development Movement.
- Guinea-Bissau: African Independence Party of Guinea and Cape Verde, Party for Social Renewal.
- Kenya: Party of National Unity, Orange Democratic Movement, Kenya African National Union, Forum for the Restoration of Democracy – Kenya, United Democratic Movement, National Rainbow Coalition – Kenya.
- Mali: Alliance for Democracy in Mali, Union for the Republic and Democracy, Patriotic Movement for Renewal, National Congress for Democratic Initiative, Union for Democracy and Development, Movement for the Independence, Renaissance, and Integration of Africa, Party for Solidarity and Progress, Alternation Bloc for Renewal, Integration, and African Cooperation, Bloc for Democracy and African Integration, Citizens' Party for Revival, National Rally for Democracy, Sudanese Union-African Democratic Rally.
- Mauritania: Rally of Democratic Forces, Union of Forces of Progress, Independents.
- Mauritius: Mauritian Labour Party, Militant Socialist Movement, Mauritian Social Democrat Party.
- Morocco: Justice and Development Party, Popular Movement, Party of Progress and Socialism.[when?]
- Senegal: Senegalese Democratic Party, Union for Democratic Renewal.
- Zimbabwe: Zimbabwe African National Union – Patriotic Front, Movement for Democratic Change – Tsvangirai.
- ((Politics of Rwanda) Rwanda)); (Rwandan patriotic Front-RPF), ((Socialist Democratic Party -PSD)), (( Liberal Party- PL))
- Armenia: Republican Party of Armenia, Prosperous Armenia, Rule of Law, Independents.
- Bangladesh: Bangladesh Awami League, Jatiya Party, Jatiyo Samajtantrik Dal, Workers Party of Bangladesh, Liberal Democratic Party.
- Cambodia: Cambodian People's Party, Funcinpec Party.
- India: Bharatiya Janata Party, Shivsena, Telegu Desam Party, Lok Janshakti Party, Shiromani Akali Dal, Rashtriya Lok Samata Party, Apna Dal.
- Indonesia: National Mandate Party, Golkar, Democratic Party, Prosperous Justice Party, National Awakening Party, United Development Party, Independents, Professionals.
- Iraq: Islamic Dawa Party, Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, Iraqi Islamic Party, Kurdistan Democratic Party, Supreme Islamic Iraqi Council, Islamic Dawa Party - Iraq Organisation, Sadrist Movement, Iraqi National Accord, National Democratic Party, Iraqi Communist Party, Islamic Action Organisation, Kurdistan Islamic Union, Independents.
- Israel: Likud, Shas, The Jewish Home, United Torah Judaism, Kulanu
- Kyrgyzstan: Ata-Zhurt, Social Democratic Party, Respublika.
- Japan: Democratic Party of Japan, Social Democratic Party, People's New Party, New Party Nippon, New Party Daichi.
- Lebanon: Future Movement, Lebanese Forces, Tripoli Bloc, Kataeb Party, Progressive Socialist Party, Free Patriotic Movement, Armenian Revolutionary Federation in Lebanon, Marada Movement, Amal Movement, Hezbollah, Independents.
- Malaysia: United Malays National Organisation, Malaysian Chinese Association, Malaysian Indian Congress, Malaysian People's Movement Party, People's Progressive Party, Parti Pesaka Bumiputera Bersatu, Sarawak United People's Party, Parti Bersatu Sabah, Liberal Democratic Party, Parti Bersatu Rakyat Sabah, United Pasokmomogun Kadazandusun Murut Organisation, Sarawak Progressive Democratic Party, Sarawak People's Party.
- Maldives: Maldivian Democratic Party, Gaumee Itthihaad, Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party, Republican Party, Social Liberal Party, Adhaalath Party.
- Nepal: Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist-Leninist), Unified Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist).
- Pakistan: Pakistan Muslim League (N), Pakistan Muslim League (F) and Sunni Tehreek
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas.
- Philippines: PDP-Laban, Lakas-CMD, Laban ng Demokratikong Pilipino, Nacionalista Party, Nationalist People's Coalition, National Unity Party.
- Sri Lanka: All Ceylon Muslim Congress, Ceylon Workers' Congress, Communist Party of Sri Lanka, Eelam People's Democratic Party, Jathika Hela Urumaya, Lanka Sama Samaja Party, Mahajana Eksath Peramuna, National Freedom Front, Sri Lanka Freedom Party, Up-Country People's Front.
- Thailand: Pheu Thai Party, Chartthaipattana Party, Rum Chart Pattana Party, Mahachon, Phalang Chon Party.
- Timor-Leste: National Congress for Timorese Reconstruction, Timorese Social Democratic Association, Social Democratic Party, Democratic Party.
- Australia: Liberal Party of Australia, National Party of Australia, Liberal National Party of Queensland, Country Liberal Party
- New Zealand: National Party, ACT New Zealand, United Future, Māori Party.
- Papua New Guinea: National Alliance Party, People's Action Party, People's National Congress Party, People's Democratic Movement, United Resources Party, Pangu Party, United Party (Papua New Guinea), Melanesian Alliance Party.
- Solomon Islands: Reform Democratic Party, Democratic Party, Ownership, Unity and Responsibility Party, Rural and Urban Political Party, People's Congress Party, Rural Development Party, People's Federation Party, Independent Democratic Party, Independents.
- Tonga: Democratic Party of the Friendly Islands, People's Democratic Party, Independents.
- Vanuatu: Union of Moderate Parties, Labour Party, Our Land Party, Republican Party, National United Party, Namangi Aute, Family First Party.