List of countries without an airport
Countries (sovereign states)
Of the world's independent states, only the five European microstates have no airport within their boundaries, though all have at least one heliport. All apart from Monaco are landlocked, one of which, Liechtenstein, is doubly landlocked.
|Andorra||Andorra does not have an airport, but does have three heliports. By both population and by land area, it is the largest country not to have an airport. The nearest airports in Spain are Andorra–La Seu d'Urgell Airport (12 km away), Lleida-Alguaire Airport, Barcelona-El Prat Airport, and Girona-Costa Brava Airport. The nearest airports in France are Carcassonne Airport, Perpignan–Rivesaltes Airport and Toulouse-Blagnac Airport.|
|Liechtenstein||Liechtenstein does not have an airport, but does have a heliport in the southern town of Balzers. The nearest international airports are St. Gallen-Altenrhein Airport in Switzerland and Friedrichshafen Airport in Germany, which have few scheduled flights. The nearest major airport is Zurich Airport in Switzerland, which has rail services to Buchs and Sargans. From these towns, it is possible to catch a Postal Bus or a train to Liechtenstein.|
|Monaco||Monaco does not have an airport, but does have Monaco Heliport in the Monégasque district of Fontvieille. The nearest airport is Nice Côte d'Azur Airport in France.|
|San Marino||San Marino does not have an airport,but does have one heliport in Borgo Maggiore and a small airfield in Torraccia with a 680-metre (2,230-foot) grass runway. The nearest airport is Rimini's Federico Fellini Airport in Italy.|
|Vatican City||Vatican City does not have an airport, but does have Vatican City Heliport in the western corner, which is used for visiting heads and officials of the city-state. It would be physically impossible to fit an airport into the 0.44 km2 (0.17 sq mi) land area of the Holy See. The nearest airport is Rome Ciampino Airport in Italy.|
States with limited recognition
- Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. While there is an airport in Stepanakert, this has seen no air traffic movements since 1992.
- Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic
- South Ossetia
- State of Palestine. While there are four airports within the Palestinian territories, none have been operational since 2004.
Of the world's 17 non-self-governing territories, two have no airport within their boundaries: Tokelau and the Pitcairn Islands. Both are islands without land connection, so fairly long boat trips are the only transportation.
|Tokelau||New Zealand||Tokelau[note 1] does not have an airport, so boats are the only means of travel and transport.|
|Pitcairn Islands||United Kingdom||The Pitcairn Islands[note 2] do not have an airport or seaport; the islanders rely on longboats to ferry people and goods between ship and shore through Bounty Bay.|
- Tokelau is a territory of New Zealand in the southern Pacific Ocean consisting of the atolls of Atafu, Nukunonu, and Fakaofo. A referendum held in 2006 and 2007 to change the status of the islands to one of free association with New Zealand did not meet the needed threshold for approval.
- Pitcairn Islands is a British Overseas Territory in the southern Pacific Ocean consisting of four islands: Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie, and Oeno.
- "The Number of Countries in the World – Number of Countries Worldwide". Geography.About.com. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- Andorra. CIA World Factbook. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "Andorra flight information and best airport for Andorra flights". YourAndorra.com. 2008-10-05. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- Thomas Schmid. "Heliport Balzers FL LSXB". Tsis.ch. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- Matthias Vogt. "Heliport Balzers LSXB". Heli.li. Archived from the original on 2010-02-18. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- Liechtenstein Archived 2015-09-08 at the Wayback Machine.. Europe for Visitors.
- "Fontvieille Heliport Airport (MCM) Details – Monaco". World-Airport-Codes.com. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "Getting To Monaco". Insurance.EssentialTravel.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2010-03-24. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- San Marino. CIA World Factbook. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- Vatican City Archived 2005-12-22 at the Wayback Machine.. Tiscali. Retrieved 2006-11-27.
- Holy See (Vatican City). CIA World Factbook.
- Tokelau. CIA World Factbook. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- Pitcairn. CIA World Factbook. Retrieved 2014-07-13.