List of country names in various languages
Most countries of the world have different names in different languages. Some countries have also undergone name changes for political or other reasons. This article attempts to give all known alternative names for all nations, countries and sovereign states. It does not offer any opinion about what the "original", "official", "real", or "correct" name of any country is or was.
Countries are listed alphabetically by their current best-known name in English. Each English name is followed by its currently best-known equivalents in other languages, listed in English alphabetical order (ignoring accents) by name and by language. Historical and/or alternative versions, where included, are noted as such. Foreign names that are the same as their English equivalents are listed, to provide an answer to the question "What is that name in..."?. See also: List of alternative country names
Please format entries as follows: for languages written in the Latin alphabet, write "Name (language)", for example, "Afeganistão (Portuguese)", and add it to the list according to English rules of alphabetical order. For languages written in other writing systems, write "Romanization - native script (language)", for example "Argentine - אַרגענטינע (Yiddish)", and alphabetize it in the list by the romanized form.
For reasons of size, this article is broken into four parts:
- List of country names in various languages (A–C)
- List of country names in various languages (D–I)
- List of country names in various languages (J–P)
- List of country names in various languages (Q–Z)
- List of countries and dependencies and their capitals in native languages
- List of sovereign states
- List of Latin place names in Europe
- Names of European cities in different languages
- List of European regions with alternative names
- List of European rivers with alternative names
- Names of Asian cities in different languages
- Geographical renaming
- Endonym (internal name) and Exonym (external name) of a geographical place
- Slovene Governmental Commission for the Standardisation of Geographical Names - in the first column are names as proposed by the commission, in the second column are short official names, in the third column are long official names. Accessed on 7 October 2005.
- GEONAMES - Countries of the World - The countries of the world in their own languages and scripts, with official names, capitals, flags, coats of arms, administrative divisions, national anthems, and translations of the countries and capitals into many languages.
- CLDR - Unicode Common Locale Data Repository - provides developer-friendly XML files with a lot of language/locale specific data, including country names in over 50 different languages. Download the latest data file, core.zip file, find file common/main/[language code].xml, and ldml/localeDisplayNames/territories/territory tags from it