List of country subdivisions by population
This article contains lists of the most populous administrative country subdivisions in the world. Excluded are regions defined for convenience that do not have their own single government: e.g. Calabarzon, East China, Kantō region and Northeastern United States.
List of first-level administrative subdivisions by population
The following is a ranked list of the 62 first-level administrative subdivisions worldwide with populations that are, as of the latest government data (including projections), over 20 million, along with a country of comparable population size, the country that the subdivision belongs to, the date the population statistic is taken from, its capital, its area, population density, and its largest metro area. The latest data issued by the country's government is used, and those subdivisions which are the largest in their respective countries are shown in bold. Countries which have a high proportion of their population enumerated in the largest subdivision include the United Kingdom (80.3% in England) and Pakistan (53.7% in Punjab). England appears on this list but does not have a single government because it is a constituent country.
|1||Uttar Pradesh||India||Lucknow||230,907,000||243,290||949.102||Pakistan||1 Mar 2021|||
|2||Maharashtra||India||Mumbai||124,437,000||307,713||404.393||Japan||1 Mar 2021|||
|3||Bihar||India||Patna||123,083,000||94,163||1,307.1||Japan||1 Mar 2021|||
|4||Guangdong||China||Guangzhou||115,210,000||179,800||640.768||Ethiopia||31 Dec 2019|||
|5||Punjab||Pakistan||Lahore||110,012,442||205,344||535.747||Philippines||15 Apr 2017|||
|6||Shandong||China||Jinan||100,700,000||157,100||640.993||Vietnam||31 Dec 2019|||
|7||West Bengal||India||Kolkata||98,125,000||88,752||1,105.6||Vietnam||1 Mar 2021|||
|8||Henan||China||Zhengzhou||96,400,000||167,000||577.246||Vietnam||31 Dec 2019|||
|9||Madhya Pradesh||India||Bhopal||84,516,000||308,252||274.178||Turkey||1 Mar 2021|||
|10||Sichuan||China||Chengdu||83,750,000||485,000||172.680||Germany||31 Dec 2019|||
|11||Jiangsu||China||Nanjing||80,700,000||102,600||786.550||Germany||31 Dec 2019|||
|12||Rajasthan||India||Jaipur||79,281,000||342,239||231.654||Germany||1 Mar 2021|||
|13||Tamil Nadu||India||Chennai||76,402,000||130,058||587.446||Thailand||1 Mar 2021|||
|14||Hebei||China||Shijiazhuang||75,920,000||188,800||402.119||Thailand||31 Dec 2019|||
|15||Gujarat||India||Gandhinagar||Ahmedabad||69,788,000||196,024||356.018||Thailand||1 Mar 2021|||
|16||Hunan||China||Changsha||69,180,000||210,000||329.429||Thailand||31 Dec 2019|||
|17||Karnataka||India||Bengaluru||66,845,000||191,791||348.530||United Kingdom||1 Mar 2021|||
|18||Anhui||China||Hefei||63,660,000||140,200||454.066||France||31 Dec 2019|||
|19||Hubei||China||Wuhan||59,270,000||185,900||318.827||South Africa||31 Dec 2019|||
|20||Zhejiang||China||Hangzhou||58,500,000||101,800||574.656||South Africa||31 Dec 2019|||
|21||England||United Kingdom||London||56,286,961||130,279||432.049||Kenya||30 Jun 2019|||
|22||Andhra Pradesh||India||Amaravati||Visakhapatnam||52,787,000||162,975||323.896||South Korea||1 Mar 2021|||
|23||West Java||Indonesia||Bandung||Bekasi||50,103,300||35,378||1,416.2||Colombia||1 Jul 2021|||
|24||Guangxi||China||Nanning||49,600,000||237,600||208.754||Colombia||31 Dec 2019|||
|25||Yunnan||China||Kunming||48,580,000||394,000||123.299||Uganda||31 Dec 2019|||
|26||Sindh||Pakistan||Karachi||47,886,051||140,914||339.825||Uganda||15 Apr 2017|||
|27||Jiangxi||China||Nanchang||46,660,000||166,900||279.579||Spain||31 Dec 2019|||
|28||São Paulo||Brazil||São Paulo||46,649,132||248,223||187.932||Spain||1 Jul 2021|||
|29||Odisha||India||Bhubaneswar||44,033,000||155,707||282.794||Ukraine||1 Mar 2021|||
|30||Liaoning||China||Shenyang||43,520,000||145,900||298.286||Ukraine||31 Dec 2019|||
|31||Dhaka Division||Bangladesh||Dhaka||42,607,000||20,551||2,073.2||Ukraine||15 Mar 2021|||
|32||East Java||Indonesia||Surabaya||40,156,700||47,800||840.10||Afghanistan||1 Jul 2021|||
|33||Fujian||China||Fuzhou||Xiamen||39,730,000||121,400||327.265||Afghanistan||31 Dec 2019|||
|34||California||United States||Sacramento||Los Angeles||39,368,078||423,970||92.8558||Afghanistan||1 Jul 2020|||
|35||Shaanxi||China||Xi'an||38,760,000||205,800||188.338||Canada||31 Dec 2019|||
|36||Jharkhand||India||Ranchi||Jamshedpur||38,471,000||79,714||482.61||Canada||1 Mar 2021|||
|37||Telangana||India||Hyderabad||37,725,000||112,077||336.599||Poland||1 Mar 2021|||
|38||Heilongjiang||China||Harbin||37,510,000||454,800||82.4758||Morocco||31 Dec 2019|||
|39||Shanxi||China||Taiyuan||37,290,000||156,000||239.038||Morocco||31 Dec 2019|||
|40||Guizhou||China||Guiyang||36,230,000||176,200||205.619||Saudi Arabia||31 Dec 2019|||
|41||Khyber Pakhtunkhwa||Pakistan||Peshawar||35,525,047||101,741||349.171||Saudi Arabia||15 Apr 2017|||
|42||Kerala||India||Thiruvananthapuram||35,489,000||38,863||913.18||Saudi Arabia||1 Mar 2021|||
|43||Oromia||Ethiopia||Addis Ababa||35,467,001||286,612||123.746||Saudi Arabia||1 Jul 2017|||
|44||Assam||India||Dispur||Guwahati||35,043,000||78,438||446.76||Saudi Arabia||1 Mar 2021|||
|45||Central Java||Indonesia||Semarang||34,917,000||32,801||1,064.5||Saudi Arabia||1 Jul 2021|||
|46||Chittagong Division||Bangladesh||Chittagong||34,747,000||33,771||1,028.9||Saudi Arabia||15 Mar 2021|||
|47||Chongqing||China||Chongqing||31,240,000||82,403||379.11||Ghana||31 Dec 2019|||
|48||Punjab||India||Chandigarh||Ludhiana||30,339,000||50,362||602.42||Yemen||1 Mar 2021|||
|49||Chhattisgarh||India||Raipur||29,493,000||135,191||218.158||Nepal||1 Mar 2021|||
|50||Haryana||India||Chandigarh||Faridabad||29,483,000||44,212||666.86||Nepal||1 Mar 2021|||
|51||Texas||United States||Austin||Dallas-Fort Worth||29,360,759||695,662||42.2055||Nepal||1 Jul 2020|||
|52||Jilin||China||Changchun||26,910,000||187,400||143.597||Côte d'Ivoire||31 Dec 2019|||
|53||Gansu||China||Lanzhou||26,470,000||453,700||58.3425||North Korea||31 Dec 2019|||
|54||Inner Mongolia||China||Hohhot||Baotou||25,400,000||1,183,000||21.47084||Niger||31 Dec 2019|||
|55||Xinjiang||China||Ürümqi||25,230,000||1,664,900||15.15406||Niger||31 Dec 2019|||
|56||Shanghai||China||Shanghai||24,280,000||6,341||3,829||Taiwan||31 Dec 2019|||
|57||Florida||United States||Tallahassee||Miami||21,733,312||170,312||127.609||Sri Lanka||1 Jul 2020|||
|58||Rajshahi Division||Bangladesh||Rajshahi||21,607,000||18,174||1,188.9||Sri Lanka||15 Mar 2021|||
|59||Beijing||China||Beijing||21,540,000||16,411||1,312.5||Sri Lanka||31 Dec 2019|||
|60||Minas Gerais||Brazil||Belo Horizonte||21,411,923||586,528||36.5062||Burkina Faso||1 Jul 2021|||
|61||Amhara||Ethiopia||Bahir Dar||21,134,988||154,709||136.611||Mali||1 Jul 2017|||
|62||Delhi||India||New Delhi||Delhi||20,571,000||1,484||13,860||Mali||1 Mar 2021|||
Former first-level subdivisions
Some large former first level subdivisions with former populations (split-off areas):
- Ukrainian SSR peak of 53 million, now is the country Ukraine (including Russian-annexed Crimea).
- Russian SFSR peak of 149 million, now is the country Russia (not including the annexed peninsula of Crimea).
- Sichuan Province peak of 114.73 million before Chongqing Municipality separated in 1997
- Huabei Area peak of 61.8 million, now split into Beijing, Tianjin, Hebei, Shanxi, and Inner Mongolia
- Dongbei Area peak of 46.8 million, now split into Liaoning, Jilin, and Heilongjiang
- Huadong Area peak of 162.6 million, now split into Shanghai, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Anhui, Fujian, Jiangxi, and Shandong
- Zhongnan Area peak of 176.3 million, now split into Henan, Hubei, Hunan, Guangdong, Hainan, and Guangxi
- Xibei Area peak of 35.3 million, now split into Shaanxi, Gansu, Qinghai, Ningxia, and Xinjiang
- Xinan Area peak of 98.4 million, now split into Chongqing, Sichuan, Guizhou, Yunnan, and Tibet
- West Java, Indonesia had Banten split off in October 2000, and had a figure over 43.8 million (Jun 2000 Census) shortly before it split off
- Rajshahi, Bangladesh had Rangpur split off in January 2010, and had a figure of 30.2 million before it split off
- Andhra Pradesh, India: peak of 84.7 million before Telangana split off
- East Bengal, a province of Pakistan is now an independent Bangladesh had 67.8 million people in 1971.
List of second-level administrative subdivisions by population
Second-level divisions are those subdivisions that are under the first level of administration (states, provinces, etc...) and they go by many names, such as counties, districts, divisions, and regions, but these names vary by country. The list below displays every single second-level subnational division in the world with a population over 10 million, as well as what they are called (a district, county, region?), area, density, the country and first-level subdivision they belong to, the date the population figure dates from, and a country of comparable population size. Only districts and divisions that have a unified administration or government of any kind are listed, so for example, non-governmental statistical regions, such as Media Markets or Combined Statistical Areas in the U.S. are excluded, but Indian Divisions, as they involve some form of administration (mostly concerning revenue), are included.
- List of countries and dependencies by area
- List of country subdivisions by area
- List of political and geographic subdivisions by total area
- List of country subdivisions by GDP
- List of first-level administrative country subdivisions
- List of country second level subdivisions by area
- List of country third-level subdivisions by area
- United Nations. "World Population Prospects 2019".
- "POPULATION PROJECTIONS FOR INDIA AND STATES 2011 – 2036 REPORT OF THE TECHNICAL GROUP ON POPULATION PROJECTIONS November, 2019" (PDF). Report_Population_Projection_2019.pdf. NATIONAL COMMISSION ON POPULATION MINISTRY OF HEALTH & FAMILY WELFARE NIRMAN BHAWAN, NEW DELHI – 110011. Retrieved 1 January 2021.
- "National Data; National Bureau of Statistics of China". National Data. National Bureau of Statistics of China. Retrieved 24 May 2020.
- "PROVINCE WISE PROVISIONAL RESULTS OF CENSUS - 2017" (PDF). PAKISTAN TEHSIL WISE FOR WEB CENSUS_2017.pdf. Pakistan Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 June 2020. Retrieved 9 October 2020.
- "Population estimates for the UK, England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland - Office for National Statistics". Population estimates for the UK, England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland: mid-2019. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 15 July 2020.
- "Proyeksi Penduduk Indonesia/Indonesia Population Projection 2015-2045" (PDF). Proyeksi Penduduk 2015-2045_.pdf. Badan Pusat Statistik & UNFPA. 19 October 2018. Archived (PDF) from the original on 30 July 2020. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "Projeção da população do Brasil e das Unidades da Federação". IBGE | Projeção da população. Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatistica. Retrieved 1 January 2021.
- "BANGLADESH: Divisions and Urban Areas". Bangladesh: Divisions and Urban Areas with population statistics, maps, charts, weather and web information. citypopulation.de. Retrieved 1 January 2021.
- "Population, Population Change, and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to 1 Jul 2020 (NST-EST2020-alldata)". Census.gov. United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on December 22, 2020. Retrieved 22 Dec ember 2020. Check date values in:
- "Population projection of Ethiopia for all Regions at wereda level from 2014 - 2017.pdf". Archive of Central Statistical Agency. Central Statistical Agency of Ethiopia. Archived from the original on 15 November 2019. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- "National Statistics Agency Tables:4-3 Total Population and Birth Rate, Death Rate and Natural Growth Rate by Region (1997)". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Citypopulation.de:Indonesia". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "India: Administrative Division". India: Administrative Division (States, Union Territories and Districts) with population statistics, charts and maps. citypopulation.de. Retrieved 9 January 2021.
- "CHINA: Administrative Division". China: Administrative Division (Provinces and Prefectures) with population statistics, charts and maps. citypopulation.de. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "BANGLADESH: Districts and Cities". Bangladesh: Divisions and Cities - Population Statistics, Maps, Charts, Weather and Web Information. citypopulation.de. Retrieved 10 January 2021.
- "SÃO PAULO". São Paulo (State, Brazil) - Population Statistics, Charts, Map and Location. citypopulation.de. Retrieved 10 January 2021.
- "QuickFacts". U.S. Census Bureau QuickFacts: United States. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 4 June 2020.