List of current Canadian first ministers
Canada is a federation that comprises ten provinces and three territories. Its government is structured as a parliamentary democracy, with a Prime Minister as its head of government; and a constitutional monarchy, with Queen Elizabeth II as its sovereign. Each of the country's provinces and territories has a head of government, called premier by anglophones and premier ministre - the same term used for the federal leader - by francophones. Collectively, the federal Prime Minister and provincial and territorial premiers are referred to as first ministers.
Of the fourteen current first ministers, only one (Rachel Notley) is a woman, two (Bob McLeod and Joe Savikataaq) are indigenous, and none are from a visible minority.[note 1] The longest-serving first minister is Bob McLeod of the Northwest Territories, who has held the position since October 26, 2011; the newest first minister is Blaine Higgs of New Brunswick, who assumed office on November 9, 2018. The oldest first minister, Bob McLeod of Northwest Territories, was born in 1952, while the youngest, Scott Moe of Saskatchewan, was born in 1973. Of the current first ministers, five are from a Liberal Party, two are from a New Democratic Party, three are from a Progressive Conservative Party, one is from the Coalition Avenir Quebec, one is from the Saskatchewan Party, and two are non-partisan. Provincial parties are not, however, necessarily affiliated with or politically analogous to their federal counterparts.
Current Canadian first ministers
Premiers are listed in accordance with the provincial order of precedence: provinces before territories, and by order of joining confederation within those categories; where multiple jurisdictions joined confederation in the same year, they are ordered by population at the time of joining. Incumbency is current as of December 10, 2018.
- Lists of Canadian senators
- Lists of Members of the Canadian House of Commons
- Timeline of Canadian elections
- List of Asian-Canadian First Ministers
- List of female first ministers in Canada
- "Prime Minister of Canada". Government of Canada. Retrieved November 14, 2015.
- "Office of the Premier". Government of Ontario. Archived from the original on February 9, 2013. Retrieved February 11, 2013.
- "Honourable Stephen McNeil". Government of Nova Scotia. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- "Higgs sworn in as 34th premier of New Brunswick". Government of New Brunswick. November 9, 2018. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- "Office of the Premier". Government of Manitoba. Retrieved May 11, 2016.
- "Office of the Premier". Government of British Columbia. Retrieved July 18, 2017.
- "Office of the Premier of Prince Edward Island". Government of Prince Edward Island. Retrieved February 23, 2015.
- "SCOTT MOE SWORN IN AS PREMIER OF SASKATCHEWAN, APPOINTS FIRST CABINET". Government of Saskatchewan. Retrieved February 2, 2018.
- "Premier". Government of Alberta. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- "Office of the Premier". Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "Premier Bob McLeod – Biography". Government of the Northwest Territories. Archived from the original on 2012-07-21. Retrieved February 11, 2013.
- "Office of the Premier". Government of Yukon. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
- "Longtime politician Paul Quassa chosen new premier of Nunavut". CTV News, November 17, 2017.