List of current United States first spouses
|This article is part of a series on the|
|Politics of the
United States of America
In the United States, the first spouse (first lady for women, first gentleman for men) is the term used to refer to the spouse of a chief executive - that is, of the spouse of the President of the United States (the First Lady of the United States and the First Gentleman of the United States) and the spouses of the governors of the 50 U.S. states and U.S. territories (Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, and the United States Virgin Islands) and the spouse of the mayor of the District of Columbia. (The spouses of many mayors are often called the "first lady" or "first gentleman" of the city as well, and the use of the terms sometimes extends even to the spouses of college presidents).
Since 1985, the National Governors Association has encouraged state First Ladies and Gentlemen to pursue their own, distinct causes and public agendas. The public role of the first spouse is traditionally ceremonial. Like the First Ladies of the United States, state and territorial first spouses are not elected and earn no government salary. However, traditionally first spouses also champion important causes either nationally or within their individual states or territories, such as charitable and humanitarian work. First spouses are often seen as high profile individuals who can direct public awareness towards a particular cause or campaign. For example, the nation's first spouses launched a nationwide national breast cancer awareness campaign in conjunction with the National Governors Association in 1994. In collaboration with the breast cancer initiative, some First Spouses participated in media campaigns, public relations, chaired statewide breast cancer awareness committees, and even spearheaded the creation of a specific women's departments within state health departments. Diverse initiatives championed by individual current First Spouses have included advocacy against drunk driving, heart disease in women, the Special Olympics, and development assistance projects in Rwanda.
Most first spouses have pursued their own careers before entering the public arena when their husbands or wives assumed the governor's mansion. For example, Lou Rell, former first gentleman of Connecticut, is a former naval pilot and commercial airline pilot with TWA.
Current First Ladies and Gentlemen
|Current First Lady||President||Past||First Spouse since|
|Melania Trump||Donald Trump||List||January 20, 2017|
|Current Second Lady||Vice President||Past||Second Spouse since|
|Karen Pence||Mike Pence||List||January 20, 2017|
|Current First Lady or First Gentleman||Territory||Governor||Past||First Spouse since|
|Malala Moliga, CynthiaCynthia Malala Moliga||American Samoa||Matalasi Moliga, Lolo LetaluLolo Letalu Matalasi Moliga||List||January 3, 2013|
|never married||District of Columbia||Bowser, MurielMuriel Bowser||List|
|Calvo, ChristineChristine Calvo||Guam||Calvo, EddieEddie Calvo||List||January 3, 2011|
|Mendiola Tudela, DiannaDianna Mendiola Tudela||Northern Mariana Islands||Torres, RalphRalph Torres||List||December 29, 2015|
|Rosselló, BeatrizBeatriz Rosselló||Puerto Rico||Rosselló, RicardoRicardo Rosselló||List||January 2, 2013|
|never married||U.S. Virgin Islands||Mapp, KennethKenneth Mapp||List|
- Miller, John (2006-10-27). "Beauty queen, civil rights marcher could be first lady". Moscow-Pullman Daily News. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- "More About Governors' Spouses: A Tradition of Helping Others" (PDF). National Governors Association. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- "First Lady Maryann Tulafono appeals to the general public". Government of American Samoa. Archived from the original on November 27, 2008. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- "Learn More about First Lady Cheri Daniels". State of Indiana. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- "Rwanda Project: Who We Are: Cecile de Jongh - Vice President and Co-Founder". Rwanda Project USVI. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- Leigh Cowen, Alison (2004-06-22). "Connecticut's Governor steps down: A New Leader Carrying Hope -- M. Jodi Rell". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- Divorce between Robert, Dianne Bentley finalized (Montgomery Advertiser article-September 29, 2015)
- Few, Jenel (6 November 2013). "Georgia's First Lady Sandra Deal promotes Governor Nathan Deal's grade level reading initiative". savannahnow.com. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- "Dawn Amano-Ige". nga.org. National Governors Association.
- "Donna Edwards". nga.org. National Governors Association. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- "Susanne Shore". nga.org. National Governors Association. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- Doughman, Andrew (2 October 2013). "First lady Kathleen Sandoval to speak at mental health walk". lasvegassun.com. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- "First Lady Kathryn Helgaas Burgum". North Dakota Office of the Governor. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- Jett, Tyler (17 August 2013). "Tennessee first lady Crissy Haslam christens new ferry". timesfreepress.com. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- Sullivan, Heather (9 January 2014). "Meet Virginia's new First Lady Dorothy McAuliffe". nbc12.com. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- Vozzella, Laura; Weiner, Rachel; Berman, Mark (11 January 2014). "McAuliffe sworn in as Virginia governor". washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 13 January 2014.