List of dams and reservoirs in Sri Lanka
The following page lists most dams in Sri Lanka. Most of these dams are governed by the Mahaweli Authority, while the Ceylon Electricity Board operates dams used for hydroelectric power generation. Hydroelectric dams, including small hydros accounts for nearly half of the installed power capacity of Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka is pockmarked with a large number of irrigation dams with its water resource distributed across nearly the entirety of the island for agricultural purposes via artificial canals and streams. Utilization of hydro resources for agricultural production dates back pre-Colonial era, with current crop productions now largely dependand on these water resources.
Dams in Sri Lanka
Irrigation dams with a length and height of more than 100 m (330 ft) and 10 m (33 ft) are listed, including all the state-run hydroelectric power stations. Privately owned "small-hydro" facilities (which are limited to a maximum nameplate capacity of 10 MW), are not included in this list. Nearly all hydroelectric dams are also used for providing water resource for irrigation purposes, hence for the sake of identifying the hydroelectric dams, any dam with hydroelectric involvement is stated as such in the below table, even if the primary purpose of building the dam is to retain water for irrigation.
A gallery of the largest dams in Sri Lanka, based on the above table. Bold names are dams that are made for, or is also capable of, hydroelectric power generation.
- "About the Broadlands Hydropower Project". BHPCEB.lk. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- P. Krishnaswamy (12 January 2014). "Deduru Oya Reservoir Project commissioning, a landmark event". Sunday Observer. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- Principal project features of the Moragahakanda Dam and appurtenant structures, retrieved 2010-09-22
- Moragahakanda & Kaluganga Development Project, retrieved 2010-09-22
- Saudi gives Rs.5,332M for Kaluganga Project, retrieved 2010-09-22
- Ratkinda/Ulhitiya Dam
- Upper Kotmale Dam, retrieved 2010-08-08
- Upper Kotmale power project to be completed soon, retrieved 2010-08-08
- Victoria Dam, retrieved 2010-08-08