List of deadliest animals to humans
This is a list of the deadliest animals to humans worldwide, measured by the number of humans killed per year. Different lists have varying criteria and definitions, so lists from different sources disagree and can be contentious.[clarification needed] This article contains a compilation of lists from several reliable sources.
The number for humans include those who are victims of murder only. Adding in the some 1.25 million who die from road traffic accidents every year, along with suicide, an additional 800,000 per year, would bring humans to the top of the list, without considering other human causes, such as war, other accidents, drug abuse, smoking, alcohol, abortions, and human-mediated disease.
|Source: CNET||Source: Business Insider||Source: BBC News|
|2||Humans (murder only)||475,000||Humans||437,000||Snakes||50,000|
|5||Tsetse flies||10,000||Freshwater snails||>20,000||Crocodiles||1,000|
|6||Assassin bugs||10,000||Assassin bugs||12,000||Hippopotamuses||500|
|7||Freshwater snails||10,000||Tsetse flies||10,000|
|Animal||Humans killed per year|
- Mosquitoes kill an average of 1,000,000 humans per year mostly from bites
- Humans kill an average of 475,000 humans per year
- Snakes kill an average of 50,000 humans per year from snakebite
- Dogs kill an average of 25,000 humans per year from dog bites causing rabies
- Tsetse flies kill an average of 10,000 humans per year from African trypanosomiasis
- Assassin bugs kill an average of 10,000 humans per year from Chagas disease
- Freshwater snails kill an average of 10,000 humans per year from schistosomiasis
- Scorpions kill an average of 3,250 humans per year from venom
- Ascaris roundworms kill an average of 2,500 humans per year from malnutrition, tissue problems, and bowel obstruction
- Tapeworms kill an average of 2,000 humans per year from infection
- Crocodiles kill an average of 1,000 humans per year from crocodile attack[B]
- Mosquitoes do not kill humans directly. Rather, they are a vector that transmits mosquito-borne diseases.
- Another source goes in a different direction, and lists the 15 deadliest animals by species (deadliest first) as: hippopotamus, saltwater crocodile, polar bear, Indian cobra. lion, box jellyfish, elephant, blue-ringed octopus, African buffalo, Komodo dragon, black mamba, fat-tailed scorpion, poison dart frog ("An interesting fact about these frogs is that they are only poisonous in the wild, once they are held in captivity; they are no longer a threat. Scientists believe that these frogs gain their poison from a specific arthropod and other insects that they eat in the wild."), leopard, great white shark. Another list comes up with the top 25, only some of which share commonality.
- Learish, Jessica (October 15, 2016). "The 24 deadliest animals on Earth, ranked". CNET. Retrieved March 24, 2019.
- Ramsey, Lydia (September 4, 2016). "These are the world's deadliest animals". Business Insider. Retrieved March 24, 2019.
- "What are the world's deadliest animals?". BBC News. June 15, 2016. Retrieved March 24, 2019.
- Nuwer, Rachel. Dogs-kill-more-humans-human-murderers-do-180951272/ "Prairie Dogs Kill More Humans Than Human Murderers Do" Check
|url=value (help). Smithsonian Magazine.
- MacNevin, Lindsay. "Inspiration: The Most Dangerous Animals of the World and Where to Find Them". EscapeHere. Retrieved March 24, 2019.
- List25 Team. "The 25 Most Dangerous Animals In The World". Retrieved March 27, 2019.
- What Animals Kill The Most Humans Each Year?, World Atlas
- Malaria, World Health Organization
- Animal bites, World Health Organization
- West Niles virus, World Health Organization
- Forrester, Joseph D.; Weiser, Thomas G.; Forrester, Jared A. (March 1, 2018). "An Update on Fatalities Due to Venomous and Nonvenomous Animals in the United States (2008–2015)". Wilderness & Environmental Medicine. 29 (1): 36–44. doi:10.1016/j.wem.2017.10.004. ISSN 1080-6032.
- The Deadliest Animal in the World, Gates Notes
- These Are The Top 15 Deadliest Animals on Earth, Science Alert
- Top 10 Deadliest Animals To Humans In The World, Toptenia
- The 25 Most Dangerous Animals In The World, List 25
- The Most Dangerous Animals in the World, Animal Danger
- Top 10 Most Dangerous Animals In The World, Conservation Institute