List of democratic schools
|Part of the Politics series on|
This is a list of some of the current and former democratic schools around the world. This list also includes sub-branches of democratic schools such as Sudbury schools inspired by the Sudbury Valley School and certain anarchistic free schools that align with the broad principles of democratic education.
New South Wales:
- Currambena School Lane Cove, Sydney NSW
- Brisbane Independent School Pullenvale, Brisbane QLD
- Escola Lumiar (São Paulo)
- ALPHA Alternative School (Toronto)
- Walden's Path (Hyderabad)
- Democratic School of Hadera (Hadera)
- Makom Ligdol - Democratic school in Hakfar Hayarok (Ramat HsSharon)
- The Keshet School (Zichron Yaakov)
- Auckland Metropolitan College, Mt. Eden, Auckland--(closed December 2001)
- Ao Tawhiti Unlimited Discovery, Christchurch (This is NOT a democratic school but it is a special character school. Their educational principles are very democratic, but they still have grades, exams and a curriculum. The difference between a traditional and Ao Tawhiti school is that kids at Ao Tawhiti school choose the subjects they want to attend.)
- Tamariki School, Christchurch
- Escola da Ponte (Vila Das AVES)
- Sands School (Ashburton, Devon)
- Summerhill School (Leiston, Suffolk)
- Alexandra Park Learning Community (Manchester)
Former democratic schools now closed
- Dartington Hall School (Devon)
- Kilquhanity School (Kirkcudbright)
- Kirkdale School (SE London)
- Malting House School (Cambridge)
- Rowen House School (Belper)
- Risinghill School (London)
- Scotland Road Free School (Liverpool)
- The Small School (Hartland, Devon)
- The Family School (SW London)
- Small Acres School (London)
- Deep Springs College (Deep Springs)
- The Group School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Mission Hill School
- Sudbury Valley School (Framingham)
- Warehouse Cooperative School
- Brooklyn Free School, Brooklyn, f. 2004
- Albany Free School (Albany)
- Fifteenth Street School, (Manhattan), (associated with Orson Bean) f. 1964  (closed)
- Lehman Alternative Community School (Ithaca)
- Arthur Morgan School (Burnsville)
- The Circle School (Harrisburg)
- The Delta Program, a program within State College Area High School (State College)
- Philadelphia Free School
- The Sphere College Project (Phoenixville)
- Upattinas School and Resource Center (Glenmoore) (closed)
- The New School of Northern Virginia (Fairfax)
- The Clearwater School (Bothell)
- The Highland School (Highland)
- Democratic education
- List of Sudbury schools
- Collaborative learning
- Constructionist learning
- Rouge Forum
- Lists of schools
- List of Montessori schools
- "מקום לגדול - גן ובית ספר דמוקרטי בכפר הירוק". Makomligdol.org.il. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- Etiel, Yoav (23 January 2007). "Keshet, The Democratic School in Zichron Yaacov". 30900.com/eng/. BarEl Properties. Archived from the original on 2 November 2014. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- Leue 2000, p. 65.
- "The Shimer College Assembly". Blog.shimer.edu. 2010-02-08. Archived from the original on 2012-05-17. Retrieved 2012-09-22.
- Franks, Lucinda; Powers, Thomas (September 17, 1970). "Diana Oughton Was Embittered by Establishment". Times-News. 95 (215). United Press International.
- Gell, Aaron (May 7, 2006). "Land of the Free". The New York Times. Archived from the original on December 7, 2013. Retrieved December 7, 2013.
- Kavner, Lucas (November 30, 2012). "At Brooklyn Free School, A Movement Reborn With Liberty And No Testing For All". The Huffington Post. AOL. Archived from the original on December 7, 2013. Retrieved December 7, 2013.
Leue, Mary M., ed. (2000). Challenging the Giant: The best of [SKOLE], the Journal of Alternative Education. 4. Down-to-Earth Books. ISBN 1-878115-13-8. OCLC 250561130.