List of design awards
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This list of design awards is an index to articles about notable awards given for design. It excludes architecture, fashion and motor vehicle design, but includes industrial design.
|Canada||Award for Excellence in Book Design||Alcuin Society||Excellence in book design|
|Canada||Graphex||Society of Graphic Designers of Canada||Best examples of visual communication design|
|United States||Good Design Award||Museum of Modern Art||Good Design (from 1950 to 1955)|
|United States||Graphis International Design Awards||Graphis Inc.||Honoring creative excellence in Graphic Design and visual communications since 1944|
|United States||Graphis International New Talent Awards||Graphis Inc.||Honoring creative excellence of university students in design, advertising, photography, product design, and illustration art|
|United States||Miller Prize||Exhibit Columbus||Exploration of architecture, art, design, and community|
|United States||Cased||American Institute of Graphic Arts||Celebrating the best in contemporary design through case studies|
|United States||Type Design Awards||Type Directors Club||Excellence in typeface design|
|United States||American Prize for Design||Chicago Athenaeum||Distinguished designer in the fields of industrial design, visual communication and graphic design|
|United States||Andrea M. Bronfman Prize for the Arts||Charles Bronfman||Israeli decorative artist working in ceramics, glass, textiles or jewellery|
|United States||Apple Design Awards||Apple Inc.||Best and most innovative Macintosh and iOS software and hardware produced by independent developers|
|United States||Art Directors Club Hall of Fame||Art Directors Club of New York||Significant contributions to art direction and visual communications|
|United States||Chrysler Design Award||Chrysler||Achievements of individuals in innovative works of architecture and design which significantly influenced modern American culture|
|United States||Coin of the Year Award||Krause Publications||Numismatic design, artistic vision and craftsmanship|
|United States||Curry Stone Design Prize||Curry Stone Foundation||Innovative excellence in humanitarian design|
|United States||Design Icon Award||World Market Center Las Vegas||Interior or furniture designer who has made a significant contribution to the industry|
|United States||Edison Award||Edison Awards||Honoring excellence in innovation|
|United States||Frederic W. Goudy Award||Rochester Institute of Technology||Outstanding practitioner in the field of typography|
|United States||Good Design Award||Chicago Athenaeum||various categories|
|United States||Housewares Design Awards||HomeWorld Business||Recognize design innovation as one of the major drivers for housewares industry growth|
|United States||International Design Awards||Farmani Group||Visionaries and emerging talent in architecture, interior, product, graphic and fashion design|
|United States||International Design Excellence Awards||Industrial Designers Society of America||Fostering business and public understanding of the importance of industrial design excellence to the quality of life and economy|
|United States||L Prize||United States Department of Energy||Spur lighting manufacturers to develop high-quality, high-efficiency solid-state lighting products to replace the common incandescent light bulb|
|United States||National Design Awards||Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum||Recognizing design in USA to educate and promote excellence, innovation, and lasting achievement|
|United States||Phil Kaufman Award||Electronic System Design Alliance||Recognize individuals for their impact on electronic design by their contributions to electronic design automation (EDA)|
|United States||The Earth Awards||Earth Awards||Global search for creative solutions designed for the 21st century|
Asia and Oceania
|Australia||Australian Good Design Awards||Industrial Design Council of Australia||National design awards for industrial design|
|Australia||Greenpeace Design Awards||Greenpeace Australia Pacific||Innovative and creative individuals whose work best reflects environmental concerns in a visually striking and iconic way|
|Australia||Australian Furniture Design Award||The National Gallery of Victoria and Stylecraft||The award is part of Melbourne Design Week. The Award celebrates the most interesting furniture and lighting design being created in Australia today, with a particular emphasis on new design ideas, critical and creative thinking, sustainability, material development and research that explores innovative production processes.|
|Australia||Clarence Prize for Furniture Design||Clarence City Council, Rosny Farm Arts Centre, Hobart Tasmania||The Clarence Prize is a biennial exhibition that has found its niche within Australia’s art community celebrating innovative furniture design.|
|India||NCPEDP MphasiS Universal Design Awards||National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People / Mphasis||Individuals and organisations doing exemplary work towards the cause of accessibility and thus ensuring a life of equality and dignity for persons with disabilities|
|Japan||Good Design Award||Japan Institute of Design Promotion||Product that can bless and enrich society and people's lives through its design|
|Japan||Mainichi Design Prize||Mainichi Shimbun||Outstanding Japanese designers (since 1952)|
|Singapore||Singapore Jewellery Design Award||Singapore Jewellery association||Competition among art school students|
|South Korea||Good Design Korea||Ministry of Trade Industry and Energy / Korea Institute of Design Promotion||Korea Institute of Design Promotion is in accordance with the Industrial Design Promotion Act. It has been implemented every year since 1985.|
|South Korea||Korea International Design Award||Ministry of Trade Industry and Energy / Korea Institute of Design Promotion||The Korea Design Exhibition is the most prestigious design award in Korea. (since 1966)|
|South Korea||Korea International Design Award(Youth)||Ministry of Trade Industry and Energy / Korea Institute of Design Promotion||The Korea Design Exhibition(Youth) is the most prestigious design award in Korea. (since 1966)|
|Europe||Design Management Europe Award||Design Management Europe||Management and successful implementation of design in processes and strategies to achieve business goals|
|Europe||European Design Award||15 Magazines||Outstanding work in the communication design field|
|Denmark||Danish Design Award||Danish Design Centre||All design disciplines, with focus on form, function and value creation|
|Denmark||Finn Juhl Prize||Wilhelm Hansen Foundation||Special effort in the field of furniture design–with special reference to chairs|
|Denmark||The Index Project||The Index Project||Improvement of life worldwide, both in developed and developing countries|
|Finland||Kaj Franck Prize||Design Forum Finland||Finnish design|
|Finland||Fennia Prize||Design Forum Finland, Fennia Group||Good design grows global competition|
|France||Observeur du Design||Agence pour la promotion de la création industrielle||Design as a key factor in business competitiveness as well as economic, social and cultural innovation (from 1999 to 2019)|
|France||Peugeot Concours Design||Peugeot||Designs for a car (2001 to 2008)|
|Germany||German Design Award||Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy||Innovative products and projects, their manufacturers and designers in the German and international design sector|
|Germany||IF Product Design Award||International Forum Design||Multiple disciplines|
|Germany||Kind + Jugend Innovation Award||Kind + Jugend trade fair||Best overall baby product in the areas of design, safety, user-friendliness, degree of innovation, and quality of workmanship|
|Germany||Red Dot||Red Dot GmbH||Product design, brand and communication design as well as design concepts|
|Italy||Compasso d'Oro||Associazione per il Disegno Industriale||Acknowledge and promote quality in the field of industrial designs made in Italy|
|Italy||A' Design Award||A' Design Award & Competition SRL||Create a global appreciation and understanding of good design in fields of design, art and architecture.|
|Netherlands||Benno Premsela Prize||Mondriaan Fonds||A person who has played a stimulating role in the field of visual arts, design or architecture (from 2000 to 2012)|
|Netherlands||Dutch Design Awards||Dutch Design Award Foundation||Honor design initiatives and designers in the Netherlands|
|Netherlands||Dutch Furniture Awards||Dutch Furniture Awards||Dutch furniture design (from 1985 to 1998)|
|Netherlands||Gerrit Noordzij Prize||Royal Academy of Art, The Hague||Extraordinary contributions to the fields of type design, typography and type education|
|Netherlands||Rotterdam Design Award||Rotterdam Design Award||Conceptual vision and performance in the field of the designer (from 1993 to 2013)|
|Nordic countries||Forum AID Award||Forum AID||Architecture, Interiors, Design and Best Student Work (from 2006 to 2009)|
|Norway||Visuelt||Grafill||Professionals working with visual communication in Norway (since 1993)|
|Poland||Design Educates Awards||Laka Foundation||Awards for architects and designers who educate, provide an informative layer, and added value through their projects.|
|Scandinavia||Lunning Prize||Frederik Lunning||Eminent Scandinavian designers (from 1951 to 1970)|
|Spain||IED Design Awards||Istituto Europeo di Design||People and projects that stand out within the design world|
|Sweden||Excellent Swedish Design||Swedish Society of Crafts and Design||Professional design organizations and their producers (from 1983 to 2002)|
|Sweden||Torsten and Wanja Söderberg Prize||Röhsska Museum||Active Nordic designer or craftsman (from 1994 to 2018)|
|United Kingdom||Agency Design Awards||World Brand Design Society||Excellence in Craft, Design and Business - Agencies and Studios|
|United Kingdom||British Inspiration Awards||British Inspiration Awards||Achievement in the creative industries of Britain|
|United Kingdom||Bicentenary Medal of the Royal Society of Arts||Royal Society of Arts||A person who, in a manner other than as an industrial designer, has applied art and design in great effect as instruments of civic innovation|
|United Kingdom||Brunel Award||The Watford Group||Visual design in railway architecture, graphics, industrial design and art, etc.|
|United Kingdom||Creative Design Awards||World Brand Design Society||Excellence in Craft, Design and Business - Freelance Creatives and Freelance Creative Teams|
|United Kingdom||D&AD Awards||D&AD||Excellence in design and advertising|
|United Kingdom||Craft and design gold medal||National Eisteddfod of Wales||Excellence in Craft and Design|
|United Kingdom||In-House Design Awards||World Brand Design Society||Excellence in Craft, Design and Business - In-House Design Teams|
|United Kingdom||ISTD International Typographic Awards||International Society of Typographic Designers||Current standards in typographic design|
|United Kingdom||James Dyson Award||James Dyson Foundation||Challenges young people to design something that solves a problem|
|United Kingdom||Kent Design Awards||Kent County Council||Design excellence in Kent|
|United Kingdom||Loo of the Year Awards||Loo of the Year Awards||Best toilets in Britain, Ireland and the Channel Islands|
|United Kingdom||Millennium product||Design Council||British products and companies which show "imagination, ingenuity and inspiration" as well as "innovation, creativity and design"|
|United Kingdom||Phillips Gold Medal||Phillips Gold Medal||Person who has contributed the most to British postage stamp design in recent years|
|United Kingdom||Prince Philip Designers Prize||Chartered Society of Designers||Design career which has upheld the highest standards and broken new ground|
|United Kingdom||Pub Design Awards||Campaign for Real Ale||Exceptional pubs in the UK that have been newly built/converted or have recently undergone building/conservation work|
|United Kingdom||Royal Designers for Industry||Royal Society of Arts||Encourage a high standard of industrial design and enhance the status of designers|
|United Kingdom||Student Design Awards||World Brand Design Society||Excellence in Craft, Design and Business - In-House Design Teams|
|United Kingdom||The Sir Misha Black Awards||Design and Industries Association etc.||Individuals and institutions, to honour them in their role within design education|
|United Kingdom||Wood Awards||Worshipful Company of Carpenters||Working with wood in buildings and furniture (since 1971)|
- "The Robert R. Reid Award and Medal". Alcuin Society. Retrieved 2016-01-21.
- About Graphex, Graphex, archived from the original on 2010-02-09, retrieved 2020-03-04
- Michael Kimmelman: Celebrating ‘Good Design’ at MoMA: The Nut Dish and Other Populist Gems. In: New York Times, 6 June 2019.
- "Exhibit Columbus to feature new J. Irwin and Xenia Miller Prize | 101.5 WKKG". 101.5 WKKG. 5 May 2016. Archived from the original on 6 May 2016. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
- "Cased, AIGA's annual design competition".
- AIGA. "Justified: AIGA Annual Design Competition". Retrieved June 3, 2014.
- "Type Directors Club - Our History".
- American Prize for Design, Chicago Athenaeum, retrieved 2020-03-04
- Dixon, Guy (23 April 2018). "Arts award a memorial for Andrea Bronfman". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- Accolades : Australian International Design Award of the Year, Standards Australia, archived from the original on 2009-09-12, retrieved 2020-03-04
- Ducan Macleon (24 October 2009), Greenpeace Design Awards 2009, Inspiration Room, retrieved 2020-03-04
- "Australian Furniture Design Award 2022 | NGV". www.ngv.vic.gov.au. Retrieved 2022-07-26.
- "Clarence Prize for Furniture Design". Clarence Arts & Events. Retrieved 2022-07-26.
- "Awards to honour work for cause of accessibility". The Hindu.
- "Designing with care". The Hindu.
- Good Design Award (Award General Information )
- "Mainichi Design Prize". A Dictionary of Modern Design. Oxford University Press (Answers.com). 2004–2005. Retrieved 2007-12-19.
- "Spotlight on artistry at Singapore Jewellery and Gem Fair in October 2018". Retrieved 13 March 2019.
- The selection of Good Design (GD) products hosted by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy and organized by the Korea Institute of Design Promotion is in accordance with the Industrial Design Promotion Act. It has been implemented every year since 1985 in accordance with It is a system that grants the symbol GD (Good Design) symbol. 
- The Korea Design Exhibition, which started in 1966, is the most prestigious design award in Korea hosted by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy and jointly hosted by the Korea Institute of Design Promotion and the Korea Federation of Design Organizations. This exhibition has prepared and operated a 'general/university (graduate) student' system to discover talented designers who will lead the future and to nurture them as next-generation designers. 
- The Korea Design Exhibition is the most prestigious design award in Korea, hosted by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy, and jointly hosted by the Korea Institute of Design Promotion and the Korea Federation of Design Organizations. This exhibition is operating the 'Youth (elementary/middle/high school)' system to recognize the importance of design to young people who will become leaders in the future, and to discover and nurture design talents with creativity and talent at an early stage. 
- "Case Studies in Design Policy & Programmes" (PDF). SEE Project. Design Wales. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "Design Management Europe Award highlights innovative entrepreneurship". PRO INNO Europe. Archived from the original on 8 September 2012. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "Wheelchair firm wins design award". BBC News. 26 October 2009. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- Parrot, Pia Dandanell (30 September 2008). "More than 40 Years of Design Awards". Danish Design Center. Archived from the original on 22 January 2010. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- "Wilhelm Hansen Fonden awarded the Finn Juhl Prize 2009 to Hans Sandgren Jakobsen". Møbel+Interiør Brancheforeningen. Archived from the original on 2011-07-19. Retrieved 2010-04-22.
- "'INDEX: handler om at forbedre livet for alle mennesker' | Information". Dagbladet Information (in Danish). Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- "Designformand: Danmark stadig en vigtig player". Dagbladet Børsen (in Danish). Archived from the original on 29 June 2017. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- Solveig Gram Jensen. "Danskere er gode til at få gode ideer". Politiken (in Danish). Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- Official homepage
- "Fennia Prize". Archived from the original on 2016-12-03. Retrieved 2020-03-04.
- "Observeur du Design Award 2011: Call for Products". Dexigner. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Rules of the Peugeot Design Contest 2008". Archived from the original on May 16, 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-07.
- World Brand Design Society, Agency Design Awards - World Brand Design Society page
- Adrian Lee (14 April 2010). "The British World-Beaters". Daily Express. Retrieved 16 April 2010.
- "Home". British Inspiration Awards. n.d. Archived from the original on 23 March 2010. Retrieved 16 April 2010.
- "The Bicentenary Medal". Royal Society of Arts, London, UK. Archived from the original on June 8, 2011. Retrieved March 9, 2011.
- The Watford Group website, Brunel Awards page
- World Brand Design Society, Creative Design Awards - World Brand Design Society page
- "About the D&AD Pencils". Retrieved 2019-09-28.
- Chamberlain, Laura (7 August 2012). "2012 Eisteddfod: Gold medal round-up". BBC Blogs. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- World Brand Design Society, In-House Design Awards - World Brand Design Society page
- "ISTD Awards 2011". ISTD [International Society of Typographic Designers]. Archived from the original on August 12, 2011. Retrieved April 9, 2011.
- "James Dyson Award homepage". James Dyson Award. Archived from the original on February 1, 2014. Retrieved November 17, 2016.
- World Brand Design Society, Student Design Awards - World Brand Design Society page