List of directors of the British Museum
The Director of the British Museum is the head of the British Museum in London, a post currently held by Hartwig Fischer. He is responsible for that institution's general administration and reports its accounts to the British Government. The actual governance of the British Museum, however, is delegated to its Board of Trustees.
At the Museum's inception its most senior member of staff was called "Principal Librarian". The job title became "Director and Principal Librarian" in 1898, and "Director" in 1973, on the separation of the British Library from the museum.
Principal Librarian of the British Museum (1756)
- 1756–1772: Gowin Knight FRS
- 1772–1776: Matthew Maty
- 1776–1799: Charles Morton
- 1799–1827: Joseph Planta FRS
- 1827–1856: Sir Henry Ellis
- 1856–1866: Sir Anthony Panizzi
- 1866–1873: John Winter Jones
- 1873–1888: Sir Edward Augustus Bond KCB
- 1888–1898: Sir Edward Maunde Thompson GCB
Director and Principal Librarian of the British Museum (1898)
- 1898–1909: Sir Edward Maunde Thompson GCB
- 1909–1931: Sir Frederic George Kenyon GBE KCB TD
- 1931–1936: Sir George Francis Hill KCB
- 1936–1950: Sir John Forsdyke KCB
- 1950–1959: Sir Thomas Downing Kendrick KCB
- 1959–1969: Sir Frank Francis KCB
- 1969–1974: John Wolfenden CBE
Director of the British Museum (1973)
- 1974–1977: Sir John Pope-Hennessy CBE
- 1977–1992: Sir David M. Wilson
- 1992–2002: Robert Anderson
- 2002–2015: Neil MacGregor, OM AO FSA
- 2016–present: Hartwig Fischer
List of Deputy Directors
- 1971 to 1983: Maysie Webb; first incumbent
- 1983 to 1997: Jean Rankine
- 2002 to 2013: Andrew Burnett
- 2002 to 2005: Dawn Austwick
- 2013 to present: Joanna Mackle
- 2013 to present: Jonathan Williams
- Principal Librarians and Directors of the British Museum, British Museum, London, UK.
- "Rankine, Jean Morag, (Mrs N. A. Hall)". Who's Who 2018. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2017. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U31897. Missing or empty
- "Burnett, Dr Andrew Michael". Who's Who 2018. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2017. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U9501. Missing or empty
- "Dr Andrew Burnett". British Academy. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "Austwick, Dawn Jacquelyn", Who's Who (online edition, Oxford University Press, December 2017). Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "Mackle, Joanna, (Mrs David Utterson)". Who's Who 2018. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2017. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U281825. Missing or empty
- "Williams, Dr Jonathan Hugh Creer". Who's Who 2018. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2017. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U245987. Missing or empty