List of districts of Assam
Assam, a northeastern state of India, is divided into 33 administrative geographical units called districts. On August 15 2015, Tarun Gogoi, the Chief Minister of Assam, announced the formation of five new districts in the state, taking the total number from 27 to 32.
- Biswanath (carved out of Sonitpur)
- Charaideo (carved out of Sivasagar)
- Hojai (carved out of Nagaon)
- South Salmara-Mankachar (carved out of Dhubri)
- West Karbi Anglong (carved out of Karbi Anglong)
On January 26 2016, 2 more districts were announced by Tarun Gogoi, taking the total number from 32 to 34.
- East Kamrup (carved out of the eastern parts of Kamrup Metro)
- South Kamrup (carved out of the southern parts of Kamrup Rural)
On June 27, 2016 one more district was announced by Sarbananda Sonowal, taking the total number from 34 to 35.
- Majuli (carved out of the Northern parts of Jorhat)Jorhat, It is the first river island district of India.
On 7 October, 2016, the Govt. has withdrawn district status of Kamrup East and Kamrup South due to inadequate infrastructure.
A district of an Indian state is an administrative geographical unit, headed by the Deputy Commissioner (DC), which combines the offices of the District Magistrate ultimately responsible for maintaining law and order and District Collector responsible for collection of the revenue. Generally, an officer belonging to the Indian Administrative Service becomes the DC but occasionally officers belonging to the Assam Civil Service too get appointed. The DC is assisted by a number of officials belonging to different wings of the administrative services of the state.
The districts of Assam are grouped together in five regional divisions, headed by a Commissioner. A superintendent of Police, an officer belonging to Indian Police Service is entrusted with the responsibility of maintaining law and order and related issues. The police administration in Guwahati City is headed by the Commissioner of Police, which started functioning from 1st January, 2015.
|This article needs to be updated. (October 2016)|
The areas and populations of the 33 districts are given below:
|Code||District||Headquarter||Population (2011)||Area (km²)||Density (/km²)|
|West Karbi Anglong||Hamren|
|Biswanath ||Biswanath Chariali |
# - Districts under Bodoland Territorial Council
- "CM Tarun Gogoi announces 5 new districts in Assam on Independence Day". Daily News and Analysis. Guwahati. PTI. 15 August 2015. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- "Assam gets five more districts". Zee News. Guwahati. IANS. 15 August 2015. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Assam: Majuli becomes 1st river island district of India". Hindustan Times. Guwahati. 27 June 2016. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- The Office of Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in.
- "West Karbi Anglong district inaugurated". Assam Tribune. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "Biswanath district inaugurated". Assam Tribune. Retrieved 2 March 2016.
- "Hojai inaugurated as new district". Voice of Greater Assam. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "Charaideo inaugurated as a new dist". Assam Tribune. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "South Salmara-Mankachar dist inaugurated". Assam Tribune. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "Majuli to function as new district from today". Assam Tribune. Retrieved 9 September 2016.