List of districts of Ladakh
The union territory of Ladakh, India consists of two districts. Each district elects an autonomous district council. Until 31 October 2019, these districts were part of the former state of Jammu and Kashmir.
|Name of District||Headquarters||Area (km²)||Population
|Autonomous District Council||URL|
|Kargil District||Kargil||14,086||143,388||Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, Kargil||http://kargil.nic.in/|
|Leh District||Leh||45,110 *||147,104||Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, Leh||http://leh.nic.in/|
* Indicates area under the actual control of India.
Demand for new districts
- Nubra Valley: Demands been raised and BJP has hinted at creation of Nubra and Zanskar as new districts.
- Sankoo: In February 2020, organised by various youth, religious and several political parties nearly 3,000 people protested for the creation of a new 14,000 square kilometres (5,400 sq mi) Muslim majority district of Sankoo out of Kargil because it remains cut off from the Kargil and rest of India during snowfall of winters. It had 40,000 or more than 25% population of Kargil district in 2011. It lies 42 km southwest of Kargil town.
- Zanskar: People of Zanskar has been demanding for more than past seven decaded for a new district from the existing Kargil district. Town had 20,000 population in 2020. It lies 250 km south of Kargil town.
- 3,000 Demonstrate for Separate District in Sub-Zero Temperatures at Kargil, The Wire, 06/FEB/2020.
- Ladakh-based Buddhist association demands district status for Zanskar, India Today, September 4, 2019.