List of districts of Mizoram
Parts of this article (those related to the reorganisation of districts) need to be updated.(January 2013)
When Mizoram became a Union Territory on 21 January 1972, it was divided into three districts: Aizawl, Lunglei and Chhimtuipui. Later five more districts were carved out of the already existing three districts.
A district of Mizoram is headed by a Deputy Commissioner who is in charge of the administration in that particular district. He has to perform triple functions as he holds three positions as the Deputy Commissioner, the District Magistrate and the District Collector.As a Deputy Commissioner he is the executive head of the district.The District Magistrate is responsible for maintaining the law and order situation in the district.As the Collector he is the Chief Revenue Officer of the district who is responsible for revenue collection and recovery.
|Code||District||Headquarters||Established||Subdivisions||Area||Population 2001[update]||Population Density|
|AI||Aizawl||Aizawl||3,577 km2 (1,381 sq mi)||339,812||95/km2 (250/sq mi)|
|KO||Kolasib||Kolasib||1998||1,386 km2 (535 sq mi)||60,977||44/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|LA||Lawngtlai||Lawngtlai||2,519 km2 (973 sq mi)||73,050||29/km2 (75/sq mi)|
|LU||Lunglei||Lunglei||4,572 km2 (1,765 sq mi)||137,155||30/km2 (78/sq mi)|
|MA||Mamit||Mamit||1998||2,967 km2 (1,146 sq mi)||62,313||21/km2 (54/sq mi)|
|SI||Saiha||Saiha||1998||1,414 km2 (546 sq mi)||60,823||43/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|SE||Serchhip||Serchhip||1998||1,424 km2 (550 sq mi)||55,539||39/km2 (100/sq mi)|
|CH||Champhai||Champhai||1998||3,168 km2 (1,223 sq mi)||101,389||32/km2 (83/sq mi)|
|Total||21,087 km2 (8,142 sq mi)||888,573||42/km2 (110/sq mi)|
- Khawzawl, from Champhai district
- Saitual, from Aizawl district
- Sinlung Hills, from Kolasib district, and Aizawl district (Area under proposed Sinlung Hills Autonomous District Council)
- Hnahthial, from Lunglei district
- Chawngte, from Lawngtlai district (Area under Chakma Autonomous District Council)
- Sangau, from Saiha district (Area part of Lai Autonomous District Council)
- "NIC Policy on format of e-mail Address: Appendix (2): Districts Abbreviations as per ISO 3166-2" (PDF). Ministry Of Communications and Information Technology, Government of India. 18 August 2004. pp. 5–10. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 September 2008. Retrieved 24 November 2008.
- "Kolasib - Administrative Setup". kolasib.nic.in. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- "Official Website of Mamit District". mamit.nic.in. Retrieved 6 July 2016.