List of earthquakes in South Korea
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is list of earthquakes in South Korea.
South Korea has relatively lower frequency of earthquakes comparing to China and Japan, however, there were many significant earthquakes all over its history.
- 779 Gyeongju earthquake : approx. Mw 6.7–7.0, Speculated max. intensity IX. More than 100 people died and many houses collapsed. This is deadliest recorded earthquake in South Korea.
- 1518 Seoul earthquake : approx. Mw 6.7, Speculated max. intensity IX.
- 1643 Ulsan earthquake : approx. Mw 6.7–7.4, Speculated max. intensity IX–X. Tsunami occurred.
- 1681 Yangyang earthquake : approx. Mw 7.5, Speculated max. intensity IX. Tsunami occurred. Most powerful earthquake in South Korea all over its history. 26 years later after this earthquake, there was 1707 Hoei earthquake, the second strongest earthquake in Japan, only followed by 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami.
1978 and later
|Name||Date and time(KST)||Date and time(UTC)||ML||Deaths||Injuries||Coordinate||Location|
|1978 Sangju earthquake||1978-09-16 02:07:06||1978-09-15 17:07:06||5.2||Sangju, North Gyeongsang|
|1978 Hongseong earthquake||1978-10-07 18:19:52||1978-10-07 09:19:52||5.0||Hongseong County, South Chungcheong|
|1980 Sakju earthquake||1980-01-08 08:44:13||1980-01-07 23:44:13||5.3||Sakju County, North Pyeongan|
|2003 Ongjin earthquake||2003-03-30 20:10:53||2003-03-30 11:10:53||5.0||Ongjin County, Incheon|
|2004 Uljin earthquake||2004-05-29 19:14:24||2004-05-29 10:14:24||5.2||Uljin County, North Gyeongsang|
|2014 Taean earthquake||2014-04-01 04:48:35||2014-03-31 19:48:35||5.1||Taean County, South Chungcheong|
|2016 Ulsan earthquake||2016-07-05 20:33:03||2016-07-05 11:33:03||5.0||Dong District, Ulsan|
|2016 Gyeongju earthquake||2016-09-12 20:32:54||2016-09-12 11:32:54||5.8
|8||Gyeongju, North Gyeongsang|
|2017 Pohang earthquake||2017-11-15 14:29:32||2017-11-15 05:29:32||5.4
|82||Buk-gu, Pohang, North Gyeongsang|
- Historical Earthquake Recoods in Korea (2~1904), Korea Meterological Administration, 2012.
- 기상청 – 지진: 규모별 순위
- 기상청 – 국내 지진 목록
- "M5.4 - 8km S of Kyonju, South Korea". United States Geological Survey. September 12, 2016. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "M 5.4 - 9km WNW of Hoko, South Korea". United States Geological Survey. November 15, 2017. Retrieved November 15, 2017.