List of electric-vehicle-battery manufacturers
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Battery manufacturer||Notes||Year founded||Production capacity (GWh)||Used in production vehicle||Type of battery||Still in operation|
|A123Systems||Killacycle motorcycle, General Motors (Chevrolet Spark EV), Fisker Automotive (Karma PHEV), Daimler Buses North America (Orion VII), now defunct Smith Electric Vehicles electric trucks, Chery Auto, Kandi, Navistar electric trucks, ALTe Powertrain Technologies extended-range EV powertrains, VIA Motors extended-range VTRUX, three cars with Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp.'s Roewe brand (an EV, a PHEV and an HEV), BMW (ActiveHybrid 3 and ActiveHybrid 5 hybrid electric vehicles), Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines (Formula One racing kinetic energy recovery system (KERS), Buckeye Bullet land-speed racer||2001||1.5 (2018)||Yes||lithium-ion (lithium iron phosphate)||Yes|
|American Battery Solutions Inc.||We engineer, develop, and manufacture high-quality lithium-ion batteries and battery systems to serve the growing demands in electric vehicles (EV), electrified transportation, motive, industrial, and commercial markets.||2019||lithium-ion||Yes|
|Aptiv||Delphi Automotive PLC||1994||lithium-titanate||Yes|
|Automotive Cells Company (ACC), JV between SAFT and PSA||ACC intends to build two large scale production facilities for battery cell in France and Germany to supply electric vehicles||2020||48 (initially planned for 2030)||Planned||Lithium-ion||No|
|BMZ||Lithium-ion batteries for e-buses, e-forklifts, e-vehicles like Streetscooter, e.Go, KION, Eurabus||1994||Yes||lithium-ion||Yes|
|BYD||BYD focuses on LFP battery production and has introduced a new blade technology which makes the application reasonable in mid-to long range term electric vehicles||1995||30 (2019)||Yes||lithium iron phosphate||Yes|
|Contemporary Amperex Technology (CATL) (formerly Amperex Technology)||World's largest battery manufacturer||1999||12 (2017)||Yes||lithium-ion||Yes|
|Coslight India||Electric Bus LFP batteries, EV LFP Batteries, E car LFP & NMC batteries||2007||lithium-ion|
|E-One Moli Energy||BMW Mini-E ||lithium-ion||Yes|
|Electrovaya||Customers include Toyota/Raymond. Signed deal to electrify Walmart forklifts. Have a strong presence in large distribution centers in Mexico, USA and Canada.||1996||lithium-ion||Yes|
|EControls||Designs and manufactures APU, battery box replacement, and OEM battery packs for forklift and commercial truck applications under the branding Ethium.||1994||Yes||lithium iron phosphate||Yes|
|Johnson Matthey Battery Systems (formerly Axeon)||Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, Modec, Allied Vehicles, RUF Automobile, Jaguar Cars, Land Rover, Electric Car Corporation, McLaren||Yes||lithium-iron-phosphate|
|Leclanché||Designs & manufactures proprietary G-NMC/LTO cells, modules & packs within its European facilities.
Applications: Marine, Bus, Truck, Construction & Agriculture, GSE, Rail, Stationary & Specialty. Production capacity (Li-ion cells): 200MWh (2019) with roadmap to reach 2.3GWh by 2024
|1909||0.2 (2019)||Yes||lithium-ion (G-NMC & LTO)||Yes|
|LG Chem||General Motors: Chevrolet Volt Gen 1, Gen 2, Chevy Spark, Chevy Bolt, Cadillac ELR
Groupe Renault: Renault ZOE, Renault Twizy
Hyundai: Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Ford Motor Company: Ford Focus Electric, Ford Mustang Mach-E
Volvo Cars: Volvo S60 II, Volvo V60, Volvo XC90 II, Volvo S90/V90 II
|NEC||Produced prototype batteries for Nissan; Automotive Energy Supply (AESC) is Nissan’s joint venture with NEC ||lithium-ion|
|Northvolt AB||NorthVolt Ett (One), Factory production in Skellefteå, Sweden. Start of production planned for 2021||2019||8 (2021) 32 (~2022-23)||Test series only||Lithium-ion|
|Northvolt AB in JV with Volkswagen Group||NorthVolt Zwei (two), JV battery production in Salzgitter, Germany, for the electric vehicles of the Volkswagen Group. Start of production planned for end of 2023/early 2024||2019||16 (initially planned||Planned||Lithium-ion|
|OptimumNano Energy||Large Chinese manufacturer, mostly for domestic market.||2002||5.5 (2019)||lithium-iron-phosphate|
|Panasonic||Building electric vehicle batteries mostly for Tesla. The Gigafactory 1 in joint venture with Tesla has a planned annual battery production capacity of 35 gigawatt-hours by 2018||23 (2019)||Yes||lithium-ion||Yes|
|Primearth EV Energy Co, a joint venture between Toyota and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co||Future Toyota products||NiMH, lithium-ion|
|Sanyo||Provides NiMH batteries for Honda and Ford hybrid vehicles and Suzuki Swift||Yes||NiMH|
|SB LiMotive||Joint ventures with Samsung and Bosch. Ended in 2012||2008||lithium-ion||No|
|SK Innovation||Kia Soul EV, Daimler A.G. (SLS AMG E-cell), Hyundai (BlueOn),||0.2 (2016)||Yes||lithium-ion-polymer (LiPo)||Yes|
|Targray||Major international supplier of advance materials for EV battery manufacturing and R&D. Notable products include cathode materials, anode materials, electrolyte, electrodes, metal foils, binders, battery packaging materials and lithium-ion cells.||2010||Yes||lithium-ion||Yes|
|Valence Technology||Acquired by LithiumWerks in 2019||1989||lithium-iron-phosphate|
|GS Yuasa||Joint ventures with Mitsubishi Motors, and Mitsubishi Corp.; provides batteries for Mitsubishi||lithium-ion|
|Frey New Energy||Supplier of Lithium-ion battery cells, modules and packs for heavy-duty Industrial EVs and machines||2010||Yes||Lithium-iron-phosphate||Yes|
|Octillion Power Systems||Lithium-ion battery supplier for the electric-vehicle battery market. Vehicles powered by Octillion batteries include China’s Wuling HongGuang Mini and electric trucks produced by Brazilian manufacturer FNM (Fábrica Nacional de Motores).||2009||Yes||lithium-ion||Yes|
|InoBat Auto||Launched the world first 'intelligent battery' in October 2020.  Plans to partner with Rio Tinto to recycle its batteries  Currently constructing a R&D Facility in Slovakia, with further plans for a 32GWh facility.||2019||32 (Planned)||Planned||Lithium-ion||Yes|
- "A123 Systems". www.a123systems.com. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "A123 Systems to Double Global Manufacturing Capacity". A123 Systems. Archived from the original on 2015-06-20. Retrieved 2018-09-11.
- "Electric Vehicle Battery Market Forecast". Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- "Fiat 500e Is First Electric Vehicle to Feature Bosch Battery Pack". Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "BYD invests in new production lines for blade battery technology in China". GoSaveTime. Retrieved 2020-10-19.
- "The World's Biggest Electric Vehicle Company Looks Nothing Like Tesla". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2020-02-27.
- "E-One Moli Energy to Provide Batteries for MINI E". Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-05-09. Retrieved 2010-06-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "EControls releases Ethium: Innovative forklift lithium-ion batteries". Forklift Action. Retrieved 28 April 2021.
- "Johnson Matthey Battery Systems - Johnson Matthey Battery Systems".
- "Hitachi : Restructuring of Automotive Lithium-Ion Battery Business | MarketScreener". www.marketscreener.com.
- "LG Chem to supply Volvo with electric vehicle batteries". Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "LG Chem ESS Company - LG Chem ESS Partner". Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "Volvo to link up with LG Electronics to develop future electric cars". Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "Differentiation - Automotive Battery - LG Chem". Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "Nissan Nuvu". Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- Media, BioAge. "Green Car Congress: Nissan and Portugal Exploring Establishing Li-ion Battery Plant in Portugal". Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "Northvolt making ground on Gigafactory in Sweden". Electrive. Retrieved 2019-02-19.
- "German Li-ion battery market with >40 players along the value chain". GoSaveTime. Retrieved 2020-10-19.
- "Panasonic and Tesla Sign Agreement for the Gigafactory". www.tesla.com. Retrieved 2016-08-12.
- "Tesla Gigafactory | Tesla". www.tesla.com. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- Lambert, Fred (April 14, 2019). "Tesla Gigafactory 1 battery cell production is still limited to about 23 GWh, says Elon Musk".
- Foundation, Thomson Reuters. "Humanitarian - Thomson Reuters Foundation News". Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- Media, BioAge. "Green Car Congress: Sanyo to More than Double NiMH Battery Production Based on Hybrid Demand". Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "SK Innovation". www.skinnovation.com. 20 December 2016.
- "SK Innovation Battery". www.skinnovation.com. 20 December 2016.
- "Targray Battery Materials". www.targray.com. 23 April 2020.
- http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/12/03/evs23-valence-technology-introduces-large-format-lithium-batter/ Large format lithium phosphate batteries
- "i MiEV Electric Car to Have Second Battery Factory Because of High Demand". Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- Reuters Staff (2021-04-08). "China EV battery maker Octillion looks to cash in on carbon neutral drive". Reuters. Retrieved 2021-05-03.
- "China EV battery maker Octillion looks to cash in on carbon neutral drive". Reuters. 2021-04-08. Retrieved 2021-05-03.
- "Investing in Australia's battery storage market - Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA)". Australian Renewable Energy Agency. 2015-07-01. Retrieved 2021-05-03.
- "World's first 'intelligent' electric vehicle battery unveiled by European battery producer InoBat Auto". Automotive World. 2020-10-09. Retrieved 2021-08-11.
- www.bloomberg.com https://www.bloomberg.com/press-releases/2021-05-25/rio-tinto-partners-with-inobat-to-explore-innovative-lithium-battery-initiative. Retrieved 2021-08-11. Missing or empty
- "Construction begins on InoBat's EV Battery R&D centre and pilot line". www.propertyfundsworld.com. 2021-06-02. Retrieved 2021-08-11.