List of energy cooperatives
This is a list of energy cooperatives. A cooperative is an autonomous association of persons who voluntarily cooperate for their mutual social, economic, and cultural benefit. Cooperatives include non-profit community organizations and businesses that are owned and managed by the people who use its services (a consumer cooperative) or by the people who work there (a worker cooperative) or by the people who live there (a housing cooperative), hybrids such as worker cooperatives that are also consumer cooperatives or credit unions, multi-stakeholder cooperatives such as those that bring together civil society and local actors to deliver community needs, and second and third tier cooperatives whose members are other cooperatives.
A 2009 study found that 23% of the newly founded cooperatives in Germany were in the energy sector. These cooperatives primarily operate wind farms, bioenergy and photovoltaic farms with local and regional scope.
- Baywind Energy Co-operative
- Brighton Energy Co-operative
- Community wind energy – projects are locally owned by farmers, investors, businesses, schools, utilities, or other public or private entities who utilize wind energy to support and reduce energy costs to the local community
- Hepburn Wind Project
- National Wind
- Native Wind
- Som Energia
- Vineyard Power Co-operative
- Westmill Solar Co-operative
- Westmill Wind Farm Co-operative
- Bürger Energie Region Regensburg eG (BERR)
- Bürgerwerke eG
- BürgerEnergie Buxtehude eG
- BürgerEnergieAltmark eG
- EnergieWende Erlangen und Erlangen-Höchstadt E- WERG eG
- Elektrizitätswerke Schönau
- Greenpeace Energy
- HEG Heidelberger Energiegenossenschaft eG
- Neue Energien West- NEW eG
- Raiffeisen Bürger–Energiegenossenschaft Bliesgau eG
- Regionalstrom Franken eG
- Ur- Strom BürgerEnergieGenossenschaft Mainz eG
- Windfang eG Frauenenergiegemeinschaft
- Statement on the Cooperative Identity. International Cooperative Alliance.
- Climate Change Governance. Berlin: Springer. 2013. p. 110. ISBN 978-3-642-29831-8.