List of ethnic sports team and mascot names
The following is a list of sports team names and mascots derived from terms used to refer to specific ethnic groups, and words or iconography derived from different languages or traditions of these groups. Many such names are derived from ancestral groups of the same ethnicity as many of the current fans or players, such as the Boston Celtics (Irish) and the Minnesota Vikings (Scandinavian). Since ethnicity is defined by social identity there may be differences of opinion regarding membership in a particular group, and the appropriateness of the use of such references by others. Ethnicity was once distinct from race when the latter was thought to refer to biological distinctiveness as well as cultural differences. However, the biological basis for race has been largely abandoned by academic disciplines, leaving race as another social constructed concept for dividing people into groups based upon shared experience and history as well as physical characteristics.
In the United States and Canada, many sports team names and mascots refer to the Indigenous peoples of the Americas.
- 1 Professional teams
- 2 School and youth teams
- 3 Defunct names
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- Allen Americans (ECHL) - Allen, Texas, USA
- Houston Texans (National Football League) - Houston, Texas, USA
- New York Knicks (NBA), the name "Knick" is a shortened version of the word "Knickerbocker", a term which comes from a pseudonym used by Washington Irving in his book, A History of New York. The term was used to refer to the descendants of the original Dutch settlers of New York. Later, by extension, the term was used to describe New Yorkers in general.
- New York Yankees (Major League Baseball) - New York City, New York, USA
- Rochester Americans (American Hockey League) - Rochester, New York, USA
- Tri-City Americans (Western Hockey League) - Kennewick, Washington, USA
- Cleveland Indians (Major League Baseball) - Cleveland, Ohio, [United States|USA]]
- Montreal Canadiens (National Hockey League) - Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Vancouver Canucks (National Hockey League) - Vancouver, British Columbia
- Boston Celtics (NBA) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Celta de Vigo – Galician football team whose name reflects Celtic people.
- Celtic FC – Scottish football team whose name reflects Celtic people, both Scottish and Irish.
- Hibernian FC – Scottish football club reflecting Irish origins.
- Brooklyn Italians - U.S. Football team based in Brooklyn, New York
- Audax Italiano - Chilean Football club based in La Florida
- Rospiggarna (Allsvenskan)
- Highlanders, a team based in Otago, New Zealand, named for the Scottish population of the area.
School and youth teams
- Coachella Valley High School, Coachella, California, USA. The nickname has been changed to "Mighty Arabs" and the cartoonish "Arab" mascot and logo have been retired.
- Iona College, New Rochelle, New York
- Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario
- Saint Mary's College, Moraga, California
- Alma College, Alma, Michigan - Scots
- College of Wooster, Wooster, Ohio - Fighting Scots
- Covenant College, Lookout Mountain, Georgia - Scots
- Edinboro University, Edinboro, Pennsylvania - Fighting Scots
- Gordon College, Boston, Massachusetts - Fighting Scots
- Lyon College, Batesville, Arkansas - Scots
- Macalester College, Saint Paul, Minnesota - Fighting Scots
- McHenry County College, McHenry County, Illinois - Scots
- MacMurray College, Jacksonville, Illinois - mascot is the Highlander
- Maryville College, Maryville, Tennessee - Scots
- Monmouth College, Monmouth, Illinois - Fighting Scots
- New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, New Jersey
- Ohio Valley University, Vienna, West Virginia - Fighting Scots
- Presbyterian College, Clinton, South Carolina - Nickname is Blue Hose, mascot is Scotty the Scotsman
- Radford University, Radford, Virginia - The Highlanders
- University of California, Riverside, California - The Highlanders
- El Camino College Compton Center, Compton, California
- Compton High School, Compton, California - In reference to the college, the high school is the "tarbabes".
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland, Ohio
- Lynbrook High School, San Jose, California
- Portland State University, Portland, Oregon
- Atlanta Black Crackers – (Negro League Baseball team)
- Brooklyn Americans - (National Hockey League, 1941–1942)
- Cincinnati Cubans – (Negro League Baseball team)
- Hermosillo Seris
- Hofstra Flying Dutchmen, now the "Pride"
- Nebraska Wesleyan Plainsmen, today the "Prairie Wolves"
- New York Americans - (National Hockey League, 1925–1941)
- New York Black Yankees – (Negro League Baseball team)
- New York Cubans – (Negro League Baseball team)
- Pekin High School (Pekin, Illinois) Chinks, now the "Dragons"
- Quebec Nordiques - (WHA 1972–1979, NHL 1979–1995)
- San Antonio Black Indians – (Negro League Baseball team)
- Sonoma State University, now the Seawolves
- Wayne State Tartars, now the Warriors.
- List of college sports team nicknames
- List of sports team names and symbols derived from Greek and Roman antiquity
- Indigenous peoples
- List of university and college nickname changes in the United States
- Philip J. Victor; Nadeem Muaddi (September 12, 2014). "California high school drops controversial Arab mascot". Al Jazeera.