List of Iranian women
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of famous Persian women)
This is a list of Iranian women. As one person may have contributed to more than one field, they can be categorized in multiple areas.
- Shirin Ebadi, 2003 Nobel Laureate (Peace)
Scientists and engineers
- Anousheh Ansari, First female space tourist, leading telecommunication entrepreneur, and namesake of the X Prize
- Nahid Shahmehri, Director of the Laboratory for Intelligent Information, Linköpings Universitet, Sweden.
- Saba Valadkhan, American Association for the Advancement of Science Young scientist award
- Maryam Mirzakhani, Mathematician
- Alenush Terian, Astronomer
sorted alphabetically by surname
- Janet Afary, Historian
- Lady Amin (Banoo Amin), Jurisprudent and theologian
- Jaleh Amouzgar, Iranologist, Professor of Tehran University
- Noushafarin Ansari, Professor at University Of Tehran, Secretary General of Children's Book Council Of Iran
- Camila Batmanghelidjh, Psychotherapist.
- Mina Bissell, Director of UC Berkeley Life Sciences Division.
- Shirin Ebadi, Lawyer, lecturer at Tehran University (2003 Nobel Laureate)
- Mehrangiz Kar, Lawyer, fellow at Harvard University
- Firoozeh Kashani-Sabet, Professor of History, University of Pennsylvania, and novelist
- Fatemeh Keshavarz, Chair of Asian and Near Eastern Languages and Literature Department, Professor of Persian and Comparative Literature, Washington University in St. Louis
- Elaheh Koulaei, Professor of Political sciences, Faculty of Law and Political Sciences, Tehran University
- Farzaneh Milani, Director of Studies in Women and Gender and Professor of Persian and Women Studies at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
- Valentine Moghadam, Professor of Sociology and International Affairs, Director, International Affairs Program and Director, Middle East Studies Program, Northeastern University
- Azar Nafisi, former lecturer at Tehran University and Johns Hopkins University
- Afsaneh Najmabadi, Professor of History and of Studies of Women, Gender, and Sexuality at Harvard University.
- Nasrin Rahimieh, writer of Iranian culture and Persian literature, professor of Comparative Literature at the University of California, Irvine.
- Pardis Sabeti, geneticist at Harvard Medical School
- Reihaneh Safavi-Naini, Cryptographer, professor of computer science, and head of the Telecommunications and Information Technology Research Institute at University of Wollongong
- Fatemeh Shams, Literary Scholar at University of Oxford.
- Nayereh Tohidi, Professor and Chair of the Women's Studies Department at California State University, Northridge and Research Associate at the Center for Near Eastern Studies at UCLA, USA
Authors and poets
- Masoumeh Abad, Writer
- Mahnaz Afkhami, Writer
- Mana Aghaee, Poet, Translator and Bibliographer
- Farzaneh Aghaeipour, Playwright and novelist
- Mahshid Amirshahi, Novelist
- Mina Assadi, Poet and author, winner of the Hellman/Hammett awards (human Rights Watch) in New York in the year of 1996
- Sousan Azadi, memoirist
- Simin Behbahani, Poet and 1997 Nobel prize nominee
- Niloofar Beyzaie, Playwright and theatre director
- Simin Daneshvar, Academic, novelist and translator of literary texts from several languages into Persian
- Sahar Delijani, (born 1983), widely translated novelist, author of Children of the Jacaranda Tree, living between the United States and Italy
- Parvin E'tesami, Poet (classical)
- Forough Farrokhzad, Poet (modern)* Roya Hakakian, Writer and Poet
- Leila Kasra, Poet and Lyricist
- Rabe'e Ghazdari, Poet
- Justine Harun-Mahdavi, German-Iranian writer.
- Sheema Kalbasi, Poet
- Porochista Khakpour, Novelist and writer
- Mahsati, Medieval poet
- Rosie Malek-Yonan, Author, actor and director
- Shokooh Mirzadegi, Novelist, poet and social reformer
- Azadeh Moaveni, Writer and journalist
- Akram Monfared Arya, Author, poet
- Granaz Moussavi, Poet
- Azar Nafisi, writer, "Reading Lolita in Tehran"
- Shima Nesari Haghighi Fard, Poet and writer
- Shahrnush Parsipur, Novelist
- Zoya Pirzad, Novelist and winner of Hooshang Golshiri Literary Award
- Golrokhsar Safi Eva, National poet of Tajikistan
- Marjane Satrapi, Writer, Persepolis,Embroideries and Chicken with Plums
- Hila Sedighi, Poet
- Mahasti Shahrokhi, Novelist
- Fatemeh Shams, poet, author
- Tahereh Qorrat Al-'Ayn, Poet, philosopher and theologist; Seventeenth disciple or Letter of the Living of the Báb (mid 19th century)
- Niloufar Talebi, Writer, translator, theater artist
- Lobat Vala Poet
- Masoumeh Ramhormozi, Writer
- Moniru Ravanipor, Writer
- Sholeh Wolpe, poet
Visual and Fine Arts