Fatal dog attacks in England are measured in single figures per year. An increasing number of serious dog attacks (both fatal and non-fatal) was the catalyst for the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, which banned four breeds: Pitbull, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino and Fila Brasileiro.
A 2021 study of fatal dog attacks in Europe during the period 1995–2016 placed England (with 56 fatalities) as fourth in the top five countries for number of human fatalities alongside Hungary (#1), France (#2), Romania (#3), and Poland (#5). The study also found that fatal dog attacks have been increasing significantly over time which was not attributable to the increase in number of dogs, and stated "The numbers of fatalities are indeed a very small tip of the 'dog attack iceberg', and the number of dog attacks that lead to hospitalizations of the victim outnumber fatalities by several orders of magnitude."
Summary counts of fatalities by year
From Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (England & Wales 2005–2017):
|Date||Dog breed||Victim's name, sex and age||Circumstances|
|1737||—||James Brooks, M||Bitten by a rabid dog and died.|
|1750||—||Charles Godman, M||Bitten by a rabid dog and later died.|
|1773||—||A servant of a man in Bromley, Essex||He died of rabies received from the bite of a rabid dog. He was sent to the salt water, but to no effect.|
|8 April 1837||—||Ann Banks, F||Meols, Cheshire. She was killed by a watch-dog owned by a relative while she was taking it for a walk with two children.|
|March 1892||—||Abigail McDonald, F||Ballynahinch, County Down, she received fatal injuries while trying to separate four of her dogs which were fighting. The dogs were later destroyed.|
|Date||Dog breed||Victim's name, sex and age||Circumstances|
|4 June 1981||Alsatians (7)||Michek Cecil Francis, M, 12 months||Harlesden, London. Michek Francis was in the garden of his grandparent's home where he was attacked by seven dogs owned by his uncle. The subsequent inquest was told the dogs were in poor condition and had been kept in a confined space. A verdict of accidental death was recorded.|
|9 December 1986||Jack Russell||Amy Victoria Bourne, F, 5 days||London, England – Baby found dead in carrycot with skull perforations and fractures caused by dog bites.|
|14 April 1989||Rottweilers (2)||Kellie Lynch, F, 11||Argyll, Scotland – While on holiday, victim was mauled and decapitated by two prize-winning Rottweilers. The victim was walking the dogs with a friend when the attack took place, as they had apparently done several times before. The victim’s friend, a girl of 12, tried to save her life, but to no avail. The dog’s had never shown any aggression prior to the attack, and were both destroyed.|
|18 February 1991||Alsatian||William Roach, M, 38||Rusholme, Manchester, England – Victim was savaged to death by his own dog as his wife tried to rescue him.|
|21 November 1993||Bull-type Terrier||Dean Parker, M, 7||Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, England – The dog, being walked by two boys, 7 and 8, leapt at a snowman being built by the victim and his 8-year-old friend. The dog then attacked victim, biting his neck, head, back and arms, and biting through victim's jugular vein. Early reports called the dog a mastiff cross-breed, but at the inquest it was deemed largely a pit bull.|
|22 December 1994||Bull terrier||Ashley Wilson, F, 1 month||Preston, Lancashire, England – A dog attack just before Christmas; a bull terrier savaged a month-old girl. (Mentioned as a sidebar in article about another fatality.) The child had been laying in a bouncing chair by her mother’s feet when the dog suddenly grabbed the baby by the head. Despite being taken to the Royal Preston Hospital, the baby died 2 hours later from brain injuries. The dog was destroyed at the request of the family.|
|3 January 1996||Rottweilers (3)||David Kearney, M, 11||Darwen, Lancashire, England – Attacked on 23 December 1995 when he climbed a fence to get his football. The boy was so badly mutilated, that his mother didn’t recognise him. The victim died two weeks after hospital admission and having a leg amputated to prevent gangrene. 2 of the dogs were destroyed at the owner’s request.|
|Date||Dog breed||Victim's name, sex and age||Circumstances|
|7 November 2000||Doberman||Kirsty Ross, F, 25||Helston, Cornwall, England – It was determined that the victim had had an epileptic seizure and her dog had attempted to pick her up by the scruff of the neck as a mother dog would lift a puppy. There was no evidence of a 'savaging' of the victim, and victim's 22-month-old daughter was in the same room unharmed. The dog, 13-month-old Frentzen, which had previously acted confused when victim was having a seizure, was euthanized.|
|16 May 2003||Staffordshire Bull Terrier||George Dinham, M, 45||London, England – Victim found dead in his own home, mauled to death by his own dog, possibly after an epileptic seizure. Neighbours claimed the same dog attacked a child a few months before, though it was suggested that the dog might have merely jumped at the girl, and the scratches sustained were from falling over. The victim and dog were said to be inseparable, and the dog was known to nip at his owner to bring him around from seizures before. The dog was later destroyed.|
|11 July 2005||American Bulldog||Liam Eames, M, 1||Leeds, West Yorkshire, England – Victim's mother let in their two dogs because it was hot outside. The baby crawled towards the dog and it attacked, only letting go once the other household dog intervened. The child was pronounced dead an hour later from head and neck wounds. The dog had been acquired from a rescue, and had a “nervous temperament,” but was otherwise fine around the children. It was seized along with the other household dog and was slated to be euthanised. The other dog was returned to the family.|
|24 September 2006||Rottweilers (2)||Cadey-Lee Deacon, F, 5 months||Leicester, East Midlands, England – Victim was attacked when her mother and her partner were moving furniture in the living quarters of a pub. The two guard dogs, which were usually kept in a kennel on the pub's roof, entered through a fire escape door that was left open for 15 minutes and took the baby from her Moses basket and out to the roof where they mauled her. The dogs, Bruno and Bessie, were owned by the partner's mother (the licensee of the pub) and were destroyed soon after the death.|
|1 January 2007||American Pit Bull Terrier||Ellie Lawrenson, F, 5 years||St Helens, Merseyside, England – Victim's grandmother, after smoking 10 cannabis joints and drinking two bottles of wine, let the 75-pound dog inside the house where it attacked and killed the 5-year-old girl. The dog was shot dead at the scene. The girl received 72 separate injuries, mostly to her head and neck. The dog had previously attacked another person and a Jack Russell dog in two separate incidents. Kiel Simpson, the victim's uncle and owner of the dog, was jailed on possession of an illegal dog and banned from keeping dogs for five years. The grandmother was acquitted of criminal charges. Almost 200 banned dogs were surrendered the following month when Merseyside Police offered an amnesty.|
|28 December 2007||Rottweiler||Archie-Lee Hirst, M, 1 year||Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England – The victim was being carried by a 7-year-old girl when the dog attacked, wrenching the 1-year-old boy from her arms. The victim was then dragged into the garden of his grandparents' house and mauled. Though the victim's aunt attempted to fight the dog away, the victim was 'savaged to death'. Both the victim's parents were at a neighbour's house and didn't witness the incident. The dog was shot dead by police at the scene. The grandparents had only acquired the dog 6-months prior, and were said to never exercise it, which likely added to its agitation.|
|27 January 2008||Rottweiler||James Rehill, M, 78||Newham, London, England – The victim was taking the dog for its morning walk when he fell over in the street. At first, the dog licked and pawed its owner, according to reports. But then, the dog turned on his owner, tearing chunks of flesh from his face. Witnesses tried to scare the dog off, but to no avail. The dog only let go once sprayed with a fire extinguisher, and was then shot by the police. The man later died at Royal London Hospital. The man had owned the dog for 10 years, and it had allegedly never acted aggressive before.|
|4 February 2009||Staffordshire Bull Terrier||Stephen Hudspeth, M, 33||Bishop Auckland, County Durham, England – Victim was bitten on the elbow while walking to work, and died 24 hours later from septicaemia.|
|8 February 2009||Staffordshire Bull Terrier + Jack Russell Terrier||Jaden Joseph Mack, M, 31⁄2 months||Ystrad Mynach, Caerphilly, Wales – The two dogs had dragged the baby off a table whilst his grandmother napped, and attacked him. The grandmother discovered the dead baby and was shrieking, drawing attention from a neighbour who came over to see what was going on. The neighbour said the baby had severe injuries to his neck and was obviously dead. Both dogs were said to previously act friendly towards the infant. Both dogs were destroyed.|
|1 May 2009||Alsatians (2)||Andrew Walker, M, 21 years||Blackpool, Lancashire, England – Victim was one of two men who were trying to separate two dogs that were fighting in their backyard. Both dogs turned on the victim, who received 51 bites in the attack, and lost four pints of blood. The dogs were euthanised at the request of the owner, who was known to have owned dangerous dogs before. His previous Rottweilers had attacked a woman and killed her poodle, but he was not banned from owning animals.|
|30 November 2009||Pit Bull Type||Jon Paul Massey, M, 4 years||Liverpool, England – Victim was attacked in his house by a large dog. His grandmother tried to protect him, sustaining injuries herself. The dog was shot in the front garden by responding police. It had been reported that they were breeding dogs at the house. Victim's uncle pleaded guilty to three counts under the Dangerous Dogs Act and was jailed for four months. He was found to be breeding pit bulls. Victim's grandmother admitted one charge of keeping a dangerous dog and was given a four-month jail term, suspended for 18 months, and was banned from owning a dog again.|
|Date||Dog breed||Victim's name, sex and age||Circumstances|
|17 April 2010||American Bulldog||Zumer Ahmed, F, 18 months||Crawley, West Sussex, England – Victim was mauled by her uncle's dog, named Game, who came in from the backyard. The grandmother, who was present, was not strong enough to remove the dog. Two workmen from next door pulled the child and dog apart, but the child died in hospital. The dog's owner wasn't charged due to insufficient evidence, but was convicted of keeping a banned Dogo Argentino (a second dog), and was prohibited from keeping dogs for five years. Both dogs were destroyed.|
|23 December 2010||Neapolitan Mastiff||Barbara Williams, F, 52 years||Wallington, Sutton, England – Victim was attacked and killed by a dog, suffering multiple injuries and a severe haemorrhage to her head and neck. The 112lb mastiff was shot dead by police marksmen, and a pit bull puppy (a banned dog) was seized and later euthanized. The dogs' owner was ordered to complete 150 hours unpaid work and pay costs of £3,340, and was banned from owning any animal, or having anything to do with keeping or transporting animals.|
|29 January 2012||Pit bull type||Leslie Trotman, M, 83||Brentford, West London, England – Victim was attacked in his garden by his neighbour's escaped dog on 23 January, suffering bite wounds and injuries from being knocked over. He died six days later from a ruptured spleen. The dog's owner was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and three dogs were seized.|
|30 October 2012||Bordeaux Bulldogs (2) + American Bulldogs (1) + Mongrel (1)||Gloria Knowles, F, 71 years||Morden, South London, England – Victim was attacked and killed by her daughter's dogs when she went to feed them. Police seized five dogs: two Bordeaux bulldogs, two American bulldogs and a mongrel.|
|20 November 2012||Jack Russell Terrier cross||Harry Harper, M, 8 days||Telford, Shropshire, England – The victim was attacked in his cot by the smaller of two family dogs. The dog, which neighbours called "small but vicious", was put down.|
|26 March 2013||Bullmastiffs (2) + Staffordshire Bull Terriers (2)||Jade Lomas-Anderson, F, 14 years||Atherton, Greater Manchester, England – Victim was visiting her friend when four of her friend's five dogs attacked her. The dogs were shot dead by police.|
|25 May 2013||Presa Canario x Bull Mastiff||Clifford Clarke, M, 79||Liverpool, England – Victim was attacked in his own garden, was dragged around and had one arm chewed off at the elbow. The 70 lb dog was so aggressive it bit at the end of the officer's gun; it was shot twice and killed. The dog's owners, partners, were charged under the Dangerous Dogs Act, were both jailed for a year and banned from keeping dogs.|
|5 November 2013||Bulldog type or Aylestone bulldog||Lexi Branson, F, 4 years||Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, England – Victim was home from school, sick, when the dog just attacked her, going straight for her throat. The mother repeatedly stabbed the dog with a kitchen knife. A post mortem revealed victim died from facial injuries and from the dog preventing the girl from breathing. The family got the dog from a rehoming centre two months prior, and it had been through several owners since 2007.|
|10 December 2013||2 Pit bulls||Emma Bennett, F, 27 years||Ormondsthorpe, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England – Pregnant mother-of-four Emma Bennett, 27, died after she was attacked by the animals at her home in Leeds on 9 December. The dog's owner pleaded guilty to owning dogs prohibited by the Dangerous Dogs Act and was ordered at Leeds Magistrates' Court to do 280 hours of unpaid work. The court heard he had threatened to set one of the dogs on two female social workers months before the fatal attack. Prosecutors said he told one woman "shut it or I'll set the dog on you", and told another, who was pregnant, "What you looking at? Wait until I get the dog and see if you continue looking at me like that." He was banned from keeping dogs for life and ordered to pay £800 costs.|
|11 February 2014||Pit bull terrier||Ava-Jayne Corless, F, 11 months||Blackburn, Lancashire, England – Victim was attacked and killed by a 126 lb dog as her mother lay sleeping with her boyfriend, the dog's owner. The 126 lb dog was determined to be a pit bull terrier by experts and a veterinary surgeon and was destroyed after the attack. The dog's owner was jailed for 18 weeks and prohibited from owning dogs for 5 years after he was found guilty of owning a prohibited breed. The neighbours said the dog was called "Killer" and it killed a cat two years prior.|
|18 February 2014||Alaskan Malamute||Eliza-Mae Mullane, F, 6 days||Pontyberem, Carmarthenshire, Wales – Victim's mother left the sleeping baby in her pram inside the house while she stepped out to put her son in a taxi. One of the two family pets had got into the room and the baby was on the floor. The malamute was seized and put down; the other dog, a collie-cross was also euthanised.|
|20 July 2014||German Shepherd police dog||Irene Collins, F, 73||Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, England – On 16 July, the elderly woman was repeatedly bitten when police let loose 98 lb police dog Dano to locate a suspected drug dealer on the run. The woman suffered multiple bites and a broken arm from falling during the attack. Victim at the time had lung cancer and emphysema and died four days after the attack. The pathologist said her death, which showed lung disease, was hastened by the bites. The dog, which had eleven prior biting incidents, was put down. Cleveland Police changed their policy on acquiring dogs, now requiring bite records.|
|20 July 2014||Staffordshire Bull Terrier||Louise Caygill, F, 43 years||Liverpool, England – Victim was found in her flat, dead from multiple dog bites. The dog was seized and destroyed.|
|3 October 2014||American Pit Bull Terrier||Molly-Mae Wotherspoon, F, 6 months||Daventry, Northamptonshire, England – Victim was attacked when the family pit bull (banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act) broke free from its cage. The child had injuries to all four limbs and puncture wounds to her brain. The dog was put down on scene. The victim's mother and grandmother were both sentenced to two years and prohibited from owning any dog for ten years.|
|20 March 2015||American Bulldog||Rhona Greve, F, 64 years||Ely, Cardiff, Wales – Victim died after being bitten in the neck and face by her grandson's dog.|
|20 June 2015||Lakeland Terrier cross||Reggie Young, M, 3 weeks||Sunderland, England – At the trial of the father, the court heard inquiries suggested the baby fell or was dragged from the bouncer and was mauled by the terrier, which had not been introduced to the newborn and may have been driven to attack by Reggie's "unco-ordinated" movements. The dog owner (victim's father) pleaded guilty at Newcastle Crown Court to being in charge of a dangerous dog.|
|1 January 2016||Mixed bull breed of unknown ancestry||Liam Hewitson, M, 22 years||Preston, Lancashire, England – The dog attacked while the victim was having an epileptic seizure, injuring his trachea and blood vessels in his neck. Victim's father kicked, hit and stabbed the dog trying to loosen its hold. Paramedics were unable to save the victim. The five year old family dog (named Trigger, and said to not be a banned breed but also called a pitbull cross) had twice before attacked victim when he was having an epileptic event.|
|22 May 2016||Staffordshire-pitbull cross||Stephen Hodgson, M, 45||Cleator Moor, Cumbria, England – Victim was passed out on a bed when his dog came inside, grabbed him by the back of the neck, dragged him to the floor, and mauled him about the neck. Victim had twice before been bitten by this same dog. The dog severed victim's carotid artery and jugular vein. The dog was Tasered by police and later died.|
|15 August 2016||Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross||David Ellam, M, 52||Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, England – Victim and his smaller pet dog were attacked when his neighbour's five-year-old dog got out of its pen. Two months prior, victim reported the dog to the council, fearing it was a pit bull terrier and might attack. Police seized the dog but returned it to its owner a week before the fatal attack after deciding it was not a banned breed per Section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. Victim suffered a sustained attacked and the dog was still mauling him when police arrived. The dog's owner was jailed for 10 years after he was convicted of owning a dog dangerously out of control causing injury resulting in death. He had failed to comply with an order to muzzle and restrain the dog, which had a history of attacking neighbours.|
|18 August 2016||American Bulldog Mastiff-bull dog||Dexter Neal, M, 3 years||Halstead, Essex, England – Victim was pushed to the ground by the rescue home dog and attacked. He died on the way to hospital. The dog's owner pleaded guilty to owning a dangerously out-of-control dog resulting in death, was sentenced to a year in prison, suspended for two years, banned from owning dogs for 10 years, and ordered to carry out 100 hours of community service. The dog was euthanised.|
|13 October 2016||Staffordshire Bull Terrier||Archie Joe Darby, M, 4 months||Colchester, Essex, England – Victim's mother was with her two children (victim and his 22-month-old brother) and talking to someone on the phone when the dog attacked the children. The mother knew that her youngest was already dead and tried to save her older child. The mother was able to get the dog out into the conservatory and barricade the door. Bailey, the dog owned by her sister and brother-in-law for four years and acquired from a rescue, continued aggressive behaviour right up until it was put to sleep.|
|21 March 2017||Staffordshire Bull Terrier||Mario Perivoitos, M, 41 years||North London, England – Victim's dog attacked and killed him after he had an epileptic seizure. He had serious injuries to his face and neck, extensive haemorrhaging and his larynx was crushed. Cocaine and morphine were found in the dog's urine. The dog, named Major, was to be euthanised.|
|15 October 2017||German Shepherd||Ryan Busa, M, 10 years||Newtownabbey, County Antrim, Northern Ireland – Victim was attacked by the family dog.|
|13 December 2018||Staffordshire Bull Terriers (2)||Reuben McNulty, M, 2 months||Yaxley, Cambridgeshire, England – Victim was attacked at home on 18 November by his parents' two pet dogs, Fizz and Dotty, suffering horrific injuries. Victim died at hospital weeks later. Both dogs were euthanised.|
|13 April 2019||Large bulldog-cross||Frankie MacRitchie, M, 10 years||Cornwall, England – Boy was attacked and killed when he was left alone with the dog in a caravan at a holiday park. The child's mother and the dog's owner had both left the caravan to drink. The dog's owner was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and having a dog dangerously out of control. The blood soaked woman had left the area by begging for taxi or train fare and pretending she was a victim of domestic violence. The dog was seized. Variously described as a "bulldog-type breed", a "boxer bulldog type", and a "large bulldog cross", it was discovered that the dog had been involved in four previous attacks and often wore a muzzle at home.|
|7 June 2019||Unknown||Sharon Jennings, F, 55 years||Preston, Lancashire, England – Victim was bitten on the hand and neck when she broke up a fight between her dog and a loose dog (named Psycho) during a walk on 31 May. She was taken to hospital on 3 June and died on 7 June from sepsis. A dog was seized. A 49-year-old man was arrested "on suspicion of offences under the Dangerous Dogs Act".|
|24 September 2019||American Bulldogs (2)||Elayne Stanley, F, 44 years.||Widnes, Cheshire, England. Victim was suddenly pounced on and mauled by her two American Bulldogs, named DJ and Billy. The victim, who weighed eight stone, was unable to fight them off. Neighbours were alerted by screams from the victims two twin daughters. The neighbours forced their way into the victims house and attempted to distract the dogs by throwing bricks and tools at them. Police were forced to shoot and kill DJ at the scene as they could not calm him down. Billy was taken to a secure kennel and was destroyed four days later. The victim was treated by paramedics at the scene but later died. Reports say that the dogs became unnerved by an argument which could've caused them to become aggressive. The dogs had lived with the owner for two and a half years, having come from the victim's ex-boyfriend. At the inquest into the death it was revealed the dogs had been involved in incidents in the past that the new owner was not aware of including an attack on another dog which resulted in the dog being put down from injuries sustained and an attack on another dog owner.|
|Date||Dog breed||Victim's name, sex and age||Circumstances|
|29 January 2020||Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Mastiff cross||Jonathan Halstead, M, 35 years||Oldham, Greater Manchester, England. The coroner recorded a narrative conclusion that Jonathan 'died as a result of injuries sustained in an attack from his dog, whilst unconscious following an epileptic seizure'|
|13 September 2020||Chow Chow-German Shepherd cross||Elon Jase Ellis-Joynes, M, 12 days||Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England. A newborn baby just 12 days old was mauled to death by a Chow Chow Alsatian cross at his home in Doncaster in September 2020. He suffered between 30 and 40 puncture wounds and later died in hospital, while the dog, named Teddy, was put down. When the family returned home on the afternoon of Elon's death, the newborn was pushed into the living room in his pram. Ms Ellis went upstairs to use the toilet "urgently" while Joynes played in the garden with the children. One of Ms Ellis's sons noticed the dog was missing and went into the house to investigate, he found Teddy standing growling over baby Elon, who was lying on the floor. A post-mortem report found Elon died as a result of severe trauma to his chest and abdomen with injuries "typical of having been repeatedly bitten by a dog". The court heard a dog behaviour expert's conclusion was that the dog caused Elon's injuries "while investigating what was, to the dog, a strange object". His father, Stephen Joynes, 36, admitted to a charge of being the owner of a dangerously out-of-control dog, causing injury resulting in death. He was sentenced to four years in prison at Sheffield Crown Court. The baby's mother, Abigail Ellis, 28, denied the same charge and was due to stand trial but prosecutors asked for a not guilty verdict to be entered in her case after Joynes took full responsibility.|
|5 February 2021||Staffordshire cross||Keira Ladlow, F, 21 years||Birmingham, West Midlands, England. A woman died after being attacked by a dog her brother bought to improve her mental health. A post-mortem examination revealed "extensive injuries" the court heard, which likely caused her death.|
|2 April 2021||American Bulldogs (2)||Lucille Downer, F, 85 years||Rowley Regis, West Midlands, England. Two dogs killed Lucille Downer, 85, she was attacked in her back garden after the dogs escaped from a neighbour's garden through a hole in a fence.|
|8 November 2021||American Bully XL||Jack Lis, M, 10 years||Caerphilly, Gwent, Wales. A ten-year-old boy was killed by a "large and powerful" dog while visiting a school friends' house. The dog was notably named, "Beast." The dog was destroyed by firearms officers.|
|22 December 2021||American Bully XL||Adam Watts, M, 55 years||Dundee, Scotland. The owner of a dog kennel and cattery was attacked by a dog. Police Scotland confirmed the man was pronounced dead at the scene|
|10 January 2022||3 British bulldogs||John William Jones, M, 68 years||Lampeter, Wales. A man was bitten by three dogs at a house in the town and consequently died at the scene from his injuries, as recorded by Ceredigion Coroner's Office. A woman was subsequently arrested in connection with the attack.|
|6 March 2022||Husky||Kyra Leanne King, F, 3 months||Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire. Three-month-old child killed after an attack at Ostler's Plantation, an area popular with dog walkers. Her mother Karen Alcock, 41, pleaded guilty to being in charge of a dog which was out of control causing injury resulting in death, while her father Vince King, 54, plead not guilty.|
|21 March 2022||American Bully XL||Bella-Rae Birch, F, 17 months||St Helens, Merseyside. Child attacked at home by dog that the family had owned for only a week. Merseyside Police (via FB) announced tests have confirmed that the dog involved was an American Bully XL.|
|28 March 2022||Rottweiler||Lawson Bond, M, 2 years||Egdon, Worcestershire. Lawson Bond, age two, suffered serious injuries and was in cardiac arrest following an attack in Egdon, Worcestershire on Monday, March 28. Three rottweilers that were removed from the property following the attack were housed securely by West Mercia Police for a number of weeks before being put down.|
|15 May 2022||Cane Corso||Daniel John Twigg, M, 3 years||Police were called by paramedics after the boy was injured in the attack at Carr Lane, Milnrow, Rochdale just after 1pm on Sunday. He was rushed to hospital but died from his injuries.|
|23 May 2022||American Bully XL||Keven Jones, M, 62 years||Emergency services were called to reports of a medical emergency on Holt Road, Wrexham, at about 11:30 BST. A man died after being bitten by his daughter-in-law's dog and went into cardiac arrest. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, despite efforts to rescue him. I|
|15 July 2022||American Bully XL or Italian Mastiff (debated)||Joanne Robinson, F, 43||A 43-year-old woman, Joanne Robinson, was mauled at a home in Rotherham, South Yorkshire and died of severe blood loss from neck wounds. Her boyfriend, named as Jamie Stead, 42, suffered devastating injuries to his face, hands and chest as he tried to pull the animals off her.|
|10 August 2022||American Bully XL||Ian Symes, M, 34||A 34-year-old dog trainer, Ian ‘Wiggy’ Symes, was mauled at a park in Fareham, Hampshire. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The XL Bully was subsequently put down by police. There were local suggestions he had a seizure immediately before the attack.|
|3 October 2022||American Bulldogs||Ann Dunn, F, 65||A 65 year old woman died after being attacked by multiple dogs at a house on Merseyside. Emergency services were called to the incident at a property in Vauxhall, Liverpool, at about 4.25pm. She was pronounced dead at the scene. Five dogs who lived at the property were surrendered to the authorities and destroyed. |
|3 December 2022||American Bully XL and Cane Corso cross||Shirley Patrick, F, 83||An 83-year-old woman died from her injuries 17 days after being attacked by a dog in Caerphilly, South Wales. Her cause of death was given as sepsis, pneumonia, infected scalp wounds, and traumatic lacerations secondary to a dog attack. The dog was seized by the police and destroyed.|
|12 January 2023||Unknown; 8 dogs seized by police, not banned breeds||Natasha Johnston, F, 28||Officers were called to reports of a dog/s attacking members of the public at Gravelly Hill, Caterham. A dog walker aged 28 died at the scene, and a second woman was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Eight dogs were seized by the police. |
|31 January 2023||Unknown||Alice Stones, F, 4||Girl, 4, attacked in the back garden of her house in Milton Keynes by a dog her family had acquired a few weeks earlier. The "large, brown" dog was destroyed at the scene.|
- "Dangerous Dogs (Hansard, 23 May 1991)". api.parliament.uk. 23 May 1991.
- "Import of fighting dogs banned in Britain". UPI. 21 May 1991.
- "Controlling your dog in public". GOV.UK. Retrieved 13 May 2021.
- Sarenbo, Sirkku; Svensson, P. Andreas (January 2021). "Bitten or struck by dog: A rising number of fatalities in Europe, 1995–2016". Forensic Science International. 318: 110592. doi:10.1016/j.forsciint.2020.110592. PMID 33246867.
- "Deaths from dog bites, England and Wales, 1981 to 2015". Ons.gov.uk. Office for National Statistics. 5 September 2016.
- "Written evidence – Defra".
- "Clipping". The Derby Mercury. 15 September 1737. p. 3.
- "Death of Mr. Charles Godman". The Derby Mercury. 9 November 1750. p. 3.
- "servant dies". Jackson's Oxford Journal. 27 November 1773. p. 2.
- "London Police". The Champion and Weekly Herald. 16 April 1837. p. 246.
- "Town and Country Talk". Lloyd's Illustrated Newspaper. No. 2575. 27 March 1892. p. 3.
- "Alsatians kill baby in garden". The Times. No. 60946. 5 June 1981.
- "Verdict on Boy Killed by Dogs". The Times. No. 60974. 8 July 1981.
- "Dog savages baby, Coroner absolves family". The Times. 12 December 1986. Retrieved 24 May 2021.
- "Friend's dogs savage young girl to death Girl killed by pet dogs". HeraldScotland.com. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- McPherson, Gareth. "Mum of 11-year-old killed by Rottweilers says latest attacks were preventable". The Courier. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Girl tried to save friend from rottweilers". HeraldScotland. Retrieved 4 October 2022.
- "Pit bull killed boy, 7". The Independent. 16 March 1994. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Boy, 7, killed by dog while playing". The Independent. 22 November 1993. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Seven-year-old boy savaged to death by dog Cross-mastiff attacks during frolicks in snow". The Herald Scotland. 21 November 1993. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "Toddler dies after pet dog attack". BBC News. 12 July 2005.
- "Teenage mother tells inquest how dog savaged baby". The Independent. 18 January 1995. Retrieved 4 October 2022.
- "Blackburn dog attack brings back memories of fatal Darwen rottweiler mauling in 1995". Lancashire Telegraph. 11 February 2014.
- "Boy, 11, dies after rottweiler attack". The Independent. 4 January 1996. Retrieved 4 October 2022.
- "Dog victim David "unlawfully killed"". Lancashire Telegraph. Retrieved 4 October 2022.
- Savill, Richard (7 February 2001). "Doberman killed woman having epileptic fit". The Telegraph. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Man dies after being attacked by his own bull terrier". The Independent. 17 May 2003. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Dog's fatal attack on owner". 24 June 2003. Retrieved 4 October 2022.
- "Child killed by family's pet dog". BBC. 5 December 2005.
- Stokes, Paul (6 December 2005). "Mother saw rescue dog kill her baby". The Telegraph.
- Carter, Helen (29 April 2008). "Inquest hears how mother found baby after attack by rottweiler". Theguardian.com. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- Hall, Tim (24 September 2006). "Baby girl is killed by pub rottweilers". The Telegraph. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- Bunyon, Nigel (4 September 2007). "Ellie Lawrenson suffered 72 pitbull bites". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 21 June 2019.
- Paris, Natalie (11 September 2007). "Grandmother acquitted of Ellie manslaughter". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 21 June 2019.
- "'I heard its claws going on the floor' | UK news | The Guardian". amp.theguardian.com. Retrieved 4 October 2022.
- Lusher, Andrew Alderson and Adam (30 December 2007). "Mother's tribute to son killed by Rottweiler". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Baby boy savaged to death by a Rottweiler". The Independent. 30 December 2007. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Rottweiler which mauled baby to death 'had not been walked for five". Evening Standard. 13 April 2012. Retrieved 4 October 2022.
- "Man savaged to death by his own rottweiler". The Independent. 29 January 2008. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Dog kills owner in horror attack". 28 January 2008. Retrieved 18 May 2021.
- "Man dies after bite from Staffordshire bull terrier". The Independent. 10 February 2009.
- Marsh, Geoff (8 February 2009). "The innocent baby boy mauled to death by his family's dogs". Express.co.uk.
- "Dog owner speaks following alsatian death horror". Blackpoolgazette.co.uk. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- Carter, Helen (30 November 2009). "Boy, four, dies after dog attack in Liverpool". Theguardian.com. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Uncle jailed over dog maul death". Bbc.com. 1 June 2010.
- "Mum of Liverpool boy John-Paul Massey who was killed by illegal breed of dog calls on PM to change law". Liverpool Echo. 24 January 2012.
- "Coroner queries American Bulldogs as pets". The Independent. 25 November 2010.
- "Killer-dog's owner breached ban". Bbc.com. 27 July 2011. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Woman killed by dog in Wallington, London". Telegraph.co.uk. 24 December 2010.
- "Killer dog's owner is spared jail". Bbc.com. 3 January 2012.
- "Neighbour's pitbull dog kills elderly man". Telegraph.co.uk. 9 February 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Woman dies after she is savaged by her daughter's pack of dogs". Evening Standard. 31 October 2012.
- Hough, Andrew (21 November 2012). "One-week-old baby boy dies after attack by pet dog". Telegraph.co.uk.
- "Docile pet dog's bite killed baby boy asleep in his cot". Metro.co.uk. 9 April 2013. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- Robson, Steve; Hurst, Pat (24 October 2014). "Teenager Jade Anderson mauled to death by four dogs was 'bitten from head to toe'". Mirror.
- "Owner of four dogs that killed Jade Lomas-Anderson admits cruelty". Theguardian.com. 1 October 2013. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Liverpool dog attack: Two women on bail after mauling which killed". The Independent. 27 May 2013.
- "Two jailed after dog 'ate man alive'". Bbc.com. 3 June 2014.
- "Family mourn 79-year-old man attacked by 'out of control' dog". The Independent. 27 May 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "'Out-of-control' dog kills man, 79". BBC News. 26 May 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Killer dog stabbed by girl's mother". Bbc.com. 6 November 2013.
- "Mother tells of moment pet dog mauled her daughter, 4, to death". Telegraph.co.uk. 8 September 2014.
- "Emma Bennett dog attack death: Partner Lee Horner sentenced". BBC News. 3 July 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2021.
- "Owner of baby-maul death dog jailed". Bbc.com. 9 June 2015.
- "Dog that killed baby 'not banned'". Bbc.co.uk. 8 June 2015. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- Byrne, Paul; Killelea, Amanda (12 February 2014). "Pictured: Banned dog which mauled baby Ava-Jayne Corless to death and was called KILLER". Daily Mirror.
- "Baby girl killed by pet dog's bite". Bbc.com. 4 April 2014.
- "Baby girl killed by pet dog's bite". Bbc.co.uk. 4 April 2014. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Woman 'died after bites from police dog'". Bbc.co.uk. 17 September 2018. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- Brown, Mike (21 September 2018). "Dog handler received written warning after Irene Collns' death". Gazettelive.co.uk.
- Perraudin, Frances (17 September 2018). "Middlesbrough woman, 73, died after being bitten by police dog, inquest hears". Theguardian.com. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Woman mauled to death by her dog". Bbc.co.uk. 23 July 2014. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- Boyle, Danny (15 October 2014). "Daventry baby killed in American pit bull terrier attack named". Telegraph.co.uk.
- "Baby dog death mum and grandmother jailed". Bbc.co.uk. 15 September 2016. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Man admits fatal dog attack charge". Bbc.co.uk. 23 July 2015. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Dad jailed over baby son Reggie Young's dog bite death". BBC News. 8 September 2017. Retrieved 20 May 2021.
- Russell, Andy (6 May 2016). "Dad punched, kicked and STABBED dog as it bit son to death, inquest told". Mirror.
- "Dad battled to save son from dog attack". Lancaster Post. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Dog attack victim 'bitten before'". BBC News. 18 October 2016. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "'No police wrongdoing' in dog death case". BBC News. 14 August 2018. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Man jailed over fatal dog attack". BBC News. 13 February 2018.
- "Suspended jail term over dog-bite death". BBC News. 16 May 2017. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Mother forced to leave baby's body with attacking dog so she could save her older child". The Telegraph. 9 December 2016. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Dog 'took crack cocaine' then killed its owner in front of a BBC film crew". The Independent. 12 September 2017. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Man attacked by own Staffordshire bull terrier dog dies". BBC News. 29 March 2017. Retrieved 17 May 2021.
- Higgins, Paul (5 April 2019). "Father won't face charges after boy (10) mauled to death by dog". Belfast Telegraph. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "Family dog 'may have killed young boy' in Glengormley". BBC News. 17 October 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- Kitching, Chris; Smith, Louie (14 December 2018). "Baby boy dies after being attacked by family's pet dogs". Mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Boy, 10, dies in holiday park dog attack". Bbc.com. 13 April 2019.
- Sawer, Patrick; Carpani, Jessica (13 April 2019). "Boy, 10, killed in dog attack at holiday park in Cornwall". Telegraph.co.uk.
- "Woman bitten by dog dies in hospital". Manchestereveningnews.co.uk. 8 June 2019.
- "Woman dies after being bitten by a dog as she tried to protect her own pet". News.sky.com.
- "Man arrested after woman dies in Preston dog attack". Lancs.live. 9 June 2019.
- "Devastated daughter says mum, 55, died of sepsis after being mauled by dog". Mirror.co.uk. 9 June 2019.
- "American bulldogs killed Widnes mother after row with daughter". BBC News. 7 April 2021. Retrieved 7 April 2021.
- Slater, Chris (23 September 2020). "Man died of injuries suffered when his dog attacked him during seizure". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 11 May 2021.
- "Father whose dog killed his 12-day-old baby after inflicting up to 40 puncture wounds is jailed". Independent. 1 April 2022. Retrieved 24 May 2022.
- "Keira Ladlow killed by dog bought to help her mental health, inquest hears". BBC News. 3 June 2021. Retrieved 24 May 2022.
- "Lucille Downer: American bulldogs behind fatal attack in Rowley Regis". BBC News. 28 April 2021. Retrieved 27 July 2022.
- "Rowley Regis dog attack: Woman, 85, killed by dogs that got through fence hole". BBC News. 3 April 2021. Retrieved 9 May 2021.
- "Dog that killed boy in Caerphilly was not an illegal breed". BBC News. 1 December 2021. Retrieved 1 December 2021.
- "Boy, 10, killed by dog in Caerphilly named as Jack Lis". The Guardian. 9 November 2021. Retrieved 10 November 2021.
- Clark, Alasdair. "Man, 55, dies in dog attack at Auchterhouse kennels". The Courier. Retrieved 23 December 2021.
- Simpson, James. "Adam Watts: Tributes to 'the most caring man' after dog attack tragedy at Auchterhouse kennels". The Courier. Retrieved 23 December 2021.
- "Baby girl savaged to death by 'sled race husky' in wood named ahead of inquest". Mirror. 28 March 2022. Retrieved 24 May 2022.
- "Kyra Leanne King: Inquest opens into dog attack death". BBC News. 30 March 2022. Retrieved 24 May 2022.
- "Kyra King: Mother admits losing control of dog that killed baby". BBC News. 23 December 2022. Retrieved 18 January 2023.
- "BBC News - St Helens dog attack: Girl aged 17 months killed at home". BBC News. 22 March 2022. Retrieved 22 March 2022.
- "St Helens dog attack: Bella-Rae Birch named as 17-month-old toddler mauled to death at home". Sky News. Retrieved 22 March 2022.
- "Bella-Rae Birch: Dog that killed toddler was legal American Bully XL". BBC News. 24 March 2022. Retrieved 24 March 2022.
- O'Leary, Abigail (27 April 2022). "'Beautiful' toddler mauled to death by three rottweilers in savage dog attack named". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 15 May 2022.
- "Three-year-old boy killed in dog attack named by police as Daniel John Twigg". Sky News. Retrieved 17 May 2022.
- Hockaday, James (15 May 2022). "Three-year-old boy dies in hospital after being 'mauled by dog'". Metro. Retrieved 15 May 2022.
- "Wrexham: Man dies after being bitten by dog at house". BBC News. 23 May 2022. Retrieved 23 May 2022.
- "Man killed in Wrexham dog attack named as owner tells of 'worst day of her life'". Daily Post. Retrieved 24 May 2022.
- "Dog who killed lovely Yorkshire mum was family pet". YorkshireLive. 16 July 2022. Retrieved 17 July 2022.
- "Dog in fatal attack was legal 'American Bully XL'". BBC News. 17 July 2022. Retrieved 18 July 2022.
- "Partner of mum mauled to death by her dog speaks of horrific attack". ITV News. 10 January 2023. Retrieved 18 January 2023.
- "Partner of mum mauled to death by her dog speaks of horrific attack". ITV News. 10 January 2023. Retrieved 18 January 2023.
- Robinson, Andrew (16 July 2022). "'Lovely mum' savaged to death by dog named locally as tributes flood in". YorkshireLive. Retrieved 16 July 2022.
- "Fareham dog walker and trainer Ian 'Wiggy' Symes thought to be killed by XL American Bully breed dog". The News. 12 August 2022. Retrieved 13 August 2022.
- "Fareham dog attack: Man, 34, mauled to death by 'dangerous' animal in park". Mirror. 12 August 2022. Retrieved 13 August 2022.
- Tetzlaff-Deas, Benedict (14 October 2022). "American Bully XL which mauled dog walker to death in park destroyed by police". mirror. Retrieved 18 January 2023.
- "Liverpool dog attack: Man arrested after woman killed". BBC News. 4 October 2022. Retrieved 4 October 2022.
- "Five American bulldogs 'humanely destroyed' and man arrested after woman killed by dog in Liverpool". ITV. Retrieved 4 October 2022.
- "Caerphilly: Woman, 83, dies after being injured in dog attack". BBC News. 20 December 2022. Retrieved 20 December 2022.
- Hill, Jonathon (16 January 2023). "Woman caught sepsis and died after dog attack". WalesOnline. Retrieved 18 January 2023.
- Davis, Barney (30 January 2023). "London dog walker mauled to death in Surrey named as 28-year-old Natasha Johnston". Evening Standard. Retrieved 30 January 2023.
- "Dog attack: One woman dead and another injured in Surrey". BBC News. 12 January 2023. Retrieved 12 January 2023.
- "Four-year-old girl dies after reported dog attack". BBC News. 31 January 2023. Retrieved 31 January 2023.
- Murrer, Sally (1 February 2023). "Community grieves for little Alice, the girl tragically mauled to death by dog on Milton Keynes estate". Milton Keynes Citizen. Retrieved 1 February 2023.