List of festivals in Calgary
- Otafest Aurora (November)
- Emerging Artism (December)
- Once Upon A Christmas (December)
- Zoolights (December/January)
- One Yellow Rabbit - High Performance Rodeo (January)
- International Festival of Animated Objects (January)
- Calgary Midwinter Bluesfest (February)
- Calgary Winter Festival (February)
- Picture this... (February)
- Rodeo Royal (March)
- $100 Film Festival (March)
- Show Us Your Shorts - A Festival of Short Films (March)
- Gluten Free Expo (March)
- MTT Fest (March)
- Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo (April)
- Calgary International Spoken Word Festival (April)
- Calgary Maple Festival des Sucres (April)
- Calgary Underground Film Festival (April)
- Calgary Street Food Festival - Kingsland Farmers' Market (May)
- FunnyFest Calgary Comedy Festival (May and June)
- Visaki Mela (Punjabi Spring Harvest Festival) (May)
- Calgary International Children's Festival (May)
- Otafest (May)
- Lilac Festival (May)
- Puppet Power (May)
- Heritage Park Festival of Quilts (May)
- Commuter Challenge week (week of June 5)
- Light & Motion Prop Arts and Circus Festival (June)
- Calgary Greek Festival (June)
- Ignite! Theatre-Arts Festival (June)
- Sled Island Music Festival (June)
- MEC Bikefest (June)
- MEC Paddlefest (June)
- Fiestaval Latino Festival (July 21–22)
- Calgary Stampede (July)
- Calgary Turkish Festival (July)
- Sun and Salsa Festival (July)
- Folk Music Festival (July)
- Inglewood Sunfest (July)
- Morningside Music Bridge International Music Festival (July)
- Heritage Day Festival (first Monday of August)
- Chariot Festival of India (August)
- When Words Collide (August 10–12, 2012)
- Calgary Corn Festival - Kingsland Farmers' Market (August)
- Heritage Day Festival (first Monday of August)
- Calgary International Blues Festival (August long weekend)
- Taste of Calgary - food and drink festival (third weekend in August)
- Summerstock (August)
- Dragon Boat Festival (August)
- Marda Loop (August)
- Chinatown Street Festival (August)
- afrikadey (August)
- Classical GuitarFestWest (August)
- Calgary Fringe Festival (August)
- International Reggae Festival (August)
- Bow River Flow - Calgary's human-powered transportation festival (August 21, 2011)
- Mountain View International Festival of Song and Chamber Music
- GlobalFest - OneWorld Festival and International Fireworks Festival (August 19–27, 2011)
- Expo Latino (August)
- Calgary International Blues Festival (August)
- Victoria Park, Calgary Haultain and First Street Festival (September)
- FozzyFest (South Kananaskis) (Canada Day long weekend) Outdoor Electronic Music Festival
- Badlands Music Festival
- Chasing Summer Music Festival
- SummersEND Music Festival
The city is famous for the Calgary Stampede, a large agricultural fair and rodeo held every July. The Stampede officially bills itself as "The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth". It features an internationally recognized rodeo competition, a midway, stage shows, agricultural competitions, chuckwagon races, First Nations exhibitions, and pancake breakfasts around the city. It is among the largest and most well known festivals in Canada. The event has a 103 year history.
The Calgary Stampede was inaugurated in 1912 by Guy Weadick, a trick roper. Weadick wanted to put on a world-class rodeo event and Wild West show that would bring the best cowboys from across the continent. The first Stampede was the richest rodeo competition in North America, with prize money totaling $20,000. It drew more than 100,000 spectators. In 1923, the Stampede was combined with the Calgary Exhibition and the chuckwagon races were added. In 2004, the prize money was doubled to $1 million to put the Stampede on par with other major rodeos, such as the National Finals Rodeo.
In 2005, attendance at the 10-day rodeo and exhibition totalled 1,242,928, which set a new record. Attendance at the Stampede Parade (North America's second longest parade), which takes place downtown on opening day, is usually somewhere between 300,000 and 400,000.
During Stampede Week, many of the city's residents dress in country attire, and many businesses decorate their stores and offices in western style.
- Artember in Airdrie
- Calgary Highland Games (Labour Day weekend)
- Beakerhead (September)
- Barbecue on the Bow Festival (September)
- Heritage Park Railway Days (September)
- Artcity - Festival of Art, Design and Architecture (September)
- Nuit Blanche Calgary (September)
- Calgary International Film Festival (September / October)
- Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation "CIBC Run for the Cure" (October)
- Calgary Rocky Mountain Wine & Food Festival (October)
- Wordfest: Banff Calgary International Writers' Festival (October)
- Calgary Arab Film Festival (October)
- Marda Loop Justice Film Festival
- Calgary Pride (August)
- Calgary Organ Festival & Symposium 2012 (October 28 - November 2)
- Treemendus outdoor electronic music festival, Mountain View County (Labour Day weekend)
- Picture this...film festival
- Gluten Free Expo
- "MTT Fest".
- "The Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo".
- Calgary Maple Festival des Sucres
- Calgary International Children's Festival
- "Otafest - May".
- "Puppet Power - May".
- Commuter Challenge
- "Light and Motion - June 11th and 12th".
- "Sled Island Music Festival". Retrieved 2008-08-07.
- "MEC Calgary Bikefest".
- "MEC Calgary Paddlefest".
- Calgary Turkish Festival
- Sun and Salsa Festival
- Inglewood Sunfest
- Morningside Music Bridge International Music Festival
- Taste of Calgary
- Information on Marda Gras Street Festival
- Classical GuitarFestWest
- Calgary Fringe Festival
- "Bow River Flow".
- "Mountain View Festival".
- "Calgary Blues Festival". Retrieved 2008-08-07.
- Haultain and First Street Festival
- FozzyFest (2011). "FozzyFest".
- Badlands Music Festival (2013). "Badlands Music Festival".