List of festivals in Calgary
|Festivals of Calgary|
The following is an incomplete list of annual festivals and cultural events in Calgary, a city in the province of Alberta, Canada. This list includes festivals of diverse types, such as regional festivals, commerce festivals, fairs, food festivals, arts festivals, religious festivals, folk festivals, and recurring festivals on holidays. This list also includes festivals in the surrounding area.
Festivals by season
- Tabestoon Festival - Iranian Music, Art and Food 2016 (August 12-13)
- Fiestaval Latino Festival (July 21–22)
- Calgary Stampede (July)
- Calgary Turkish Festival (July)
- Sun and Salsa Festival (July)
- Folk Music Festival (July)
- Inglewood Sunfest (July)
- Morningside Music Bridge International Music Festival (July)
- Heritage Day Festival (first Monday of August)
- Chariot Festival of India (August)
- When Words Collide (August 10–12, 2012)
- Calgary Corn Festival - Kingsland Farmers' Market (August)
- Heritage Day Festival (first Monday of August)
- Calgary International Blues Festival (August long weekend)
- Taste of Calgary - food and drink festival (third weekend in August)
- Summerstock (August)
- Dragon Boat Festival (August)
- Marda Loop (August)
- Chinatown Street Festival (August)
- afrikadey (August)
- Classical GuitarFestWest (August)
- Calgary Fringe Festival (August)
- International Reggae Festival (August)
- Bow River Flow - Calgary's human-powered transportation festival (August 21, 2011)
- Mountain View International Festival of Song and Chamber Music
- GlobalFest - OneWorld Festival and International Fireworks Festival (August 19–27, 2011)
- Expo Latino (August)
- Calgary International Blues Festival (August)
- Victoria Park, Calgary Haultain and First Street Festival (September)
- FozzyFest (South Kananaskis) (Canada Day long weekend) Outdoor Electronic Music Festival
- Badlands Music Festival
- Chasing Summer Music Festival
- SummersEND Music Festival
- Artember in Airdrie
- Calgary Highland Games (Labour Day weekend)
- Barbecue on the Bow Festival (September)
- Heritage Park Railway Days (September)
- Artcity - Festival of Art, Design and Architecture (September)
- Nuit Blanche Calgary (September)
- Calgary International Film Festival (September / October)
- Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation "CIBC Run for the Cure" (October)
- Calgary Rocky Mountain Wine & Food Festival (October)
- Wordfest: Banff Calgary International Writers' Festival (October)
- Calgary Arab Film Festival (October)
- Marda Loop Justice Film Festival
- Calgary Pride (August)
- Calgary Organ Festival & Symposium 2012 (October 28 - November 2)
- Treemendus outdoor electronic music festival, Mountain View County (Labour Day weekend)
- Otafest Aurora (November)
- Emerging Artism (December)
- Once Upon A Christmas (December)
- Zoolights (December/January)
- One Yellow Rabbit - High Performance Rodeo (January)
- International Festival of Animated Objects (January)
- Calgary Midwinter Bluesfest (February)
- Calgary Winter Festival (February)
- Picture this... (February)
- Rodeo Royal (March)
- $100 Film Festival (March)
- Show Us Your Shorts - A Festival of Short Films (March)
- Gluten Free Expo (March)
- MTT Fest (March)
- Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo (April)
- Calgary International Spoken Word Festival (April)
- Calgary Maple Festival des Sucres (April)
- Calgary Underground Film Festival (April)
- Calgary Street Food Festival - Kingsland Farmers' Market (May)
- FunnyFest Calgary Comedy Festival (May and June)
- Visaki Mela (Punjabi Spring Harvest Festival) (May)
- Calgary International Children's Festival (May)
- Otafest (May)
- Lilac Festival (May)
- Puppet Power (May)
- Heritage Park Festival of Quilts (May)
- Commuter Challenge week (week of June 5)
- Light & Motion Prop Arts and Circus Festival (June)
- Calgary Greek Festival (June)
- Ignite! Theatre-Arts Festival (June)
- Sled Island Music Festival (June)
- MEC Bikefest (June)
- MEC Paddlefest (June)
Most attended festivals
The city is famous for the Calgary Stampede, a large agricultural fair and rodeo held every July. The Stampede officially bills itself as "The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth". It features an internationally recognized rodeo competition, a midway, stage shows, agricultural competitions, chuckwagon races, First Nations exhibitions, and pancake breakfasts around the city. It is among the largest and most well known festivals in Canada. The event has a 104 year history. In 2005, attendance at the 10-day rodeo and exhibition totalled 1,242,928, which set a new record. Attendance at the Stampede Parade (North America's second longest parade), which takes place downtown on opening day, is usually somewhere between 300,000 and 400,000. During Stampede Week, many of the city's residents dress in country attire, and many businesses decorate their stores and offices in western style.
The Lilac Festival is an annual street festival held in Calgary, Alberta. In 2005 it had an estimated 120,000 attendance. The festival takes place along the 13 blocks of 4th Street (between 13th Avenue South and Elbow Drive) in the Beltline and Mission neighborhoods.
Sun and Salsa Festival
The Sun and Salsa Festival is an annual festival put on in the Kensington Business Revitalization Zone (BRZ) of Calgary. Attendance of the festival has grown to around 100,000 in 2010.
- List of festivals in Alberta
- List of festivals in Canada
- Lists of festivals by city
- Culture of Calgary
- List of attractions and landmarks in Calgary
- Calgary Turkish Festival
- Sun and Salsa Festival
- Inglewood Sunfest
- Morningside Music Bridge International Music Festival
- Taste of Calgary
- Information on Marda Gras Street Festival
- Classical GuitarFestWest
- Calgary Fringe Festival
- "Bow River Flow".
- "Mountain View Festival".
- "Calgary Blues Festival". Retrieved 2008-08-07.
- Haultain and First Street Festival
- FozzyFest (2011). "FozzyFest".
- Badlands Music Festival (2013). "Badlands Music Festival".
- Picture this...film festival
- Gluten Free Expo
- "MTT Fest".
- "The Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo".
- Calgary Maple Festival des Sucres
- Calgary International Children's Festival
- "Otafest - May".
- "Puppet Power - May".
- Commuter Challenge
- "Light and Motion - June 11th and 12th".
- "Sled Island Music Festival". Retrieved 2008-08-07.
- "MEC Calgary Bikefest".
- "MEC Calgary Paddlefest".
- "Lilac Festival". 4th Street BRZ. Retrieved 2007-04-30.
- White, Tarina (2008-07-21). "Smokin' salsa social". Calgary Sun. Canoe Inc. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- White, Tarina (2008-07-20). "Sun and Salsa suits Calgarians just fine". Calgary Sun. Canoe Inc. Retrieved 2008-08-19.
- Sylvester, Krista (2008-07-21). "Sun and Salsa serves up spicy Sunday". Metro News (Calgary). Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- Dormer, Dave (2008-07-20). "Sun-sational salsa adds spice to city". Calgary Sun. Canoe Inc. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- "Kensington Heats Up With Sun and Salsa". visitkensington.com/sunsalsa. Kensington BRZ. Archived from the original on 3 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- Dormer, Dave (2010-07-25). "Street fest hot, hot, hot". Calgary Sun. Retrieved 9 August 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Festivals in Calgary.|