List of films about the Rwandan Genocide
Human skulls at the
Nyamata Genocide Memorial Centre
|Part of a series on the|
This is a filmography for films and artistry on the graphic, theatrical and conventional, documental portrayal of the 1994 Rwandan genocide. In 2005 Alison Des Forges wrote that eleven years after the genocide films for popular audiences on the subject greatly increased "widespread realization of the horror that had taken the lives of more than half a million Tutsi".
- 94 Terror (2018) Keza survived the Tutsi and Hutu slaughter in the 1994 Rwanda genocide and recounts the tragedy and her escape from Rwanda to Uganda through the Kagera River.
- Hotel Rwanda (2004). Dramatic feature film about Paul Rusesabagina, a Kigali hotelier, and the events around the Hôtel des Mille Collines, a sanctuary for Tutsis and moderate Hutus after its owner shut his doors against the genocide. The film was nominated for multiple Academy Awards, is on the American Film Institute's list of the 100 most inspirational films of all time, and appears on the IMDB's Top 250 highest rated movies of all time.
- Shooting Dogs (called Beyond the Gates in the US) (2005). A priest (John Hurt) and a teacher (Hugh Dancy) get caught up in the Rwandan genocide of 1994. Dramatic feature film directed by Michael Caton-Jones.
- Sometimes in April (2005). Dramatic feature film detailing events prior, during and after the genocide through the story of an intermarried Hutu-Tutsi family.
- A Sunday in Kigali (2006). Dramatic feature film based on the book
- Shake Hands with the Devil (2007). Dramatic feature film based on the Lieutenant-General Roméo Dallaire's book Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda (J'ai serré la main du diable: La faillite de l'humanité au Rwanda) (2003).
- Munyurangabo (2007). An orphan of the Rwandan genocide travels from Kigali to the countryside on a quest for justice (from IMDB). Directed by Lee Isaac Chung. Production: Almond Tree Films. Official Selection- Un Certain Regard, Cannes. Grand Jury Prize, AFI.
- The Day God Walked Away (2009)
- Kinyarwanda (2011). Dramatic feature that tells the story of hope, redemption and religious tolerance in the midst of the 1994 Rwandan genocide. It premiered at the 27th Sundance Film Festival in January 2011 where it won the World Cinema Dramatic Audience Award.
- Journey into Darkness (1994). Documentary film shot within Rwanda throughout the genocide, by the journalist Fergal Keane. A BBC Panorama production.
- A Culture of Murder (1994). Documentary film on the Rwandan Genocide, and the plight of its refugees, by the journalist Steve Bradshaw. A BBC Panorama production.
- The Bloody Tricolor (1995). Documentary film on the involvement of France in Rwanda prior to the genocide. A BBC Panorama production.
- Valentina's Story (1997). Documentary film on the story of Valentina, a survivor of the Rwandan Genocide, by the journalist Fergal Keane. A BBC Panorama production.
- When Good Men Do Nothing (1997). Documentary film on the failure of the UN, and the west, by the journalist Steve Bradshaw. A BBC Panorama production.
- Triumph of Evil (1998). Documentary film on the failure of the UN, and the west, an adaption, originally by the journalist Steve Bradshaw. A PBS  production.
- L'Afrique en morceaux, a documentary film directed by Jihan El-Tahri (2000).
- Umurage (2002). Documentary film directed by Gorka Gamarra about the process of reconciliation between victims and perpetrators in Rwanda.
- Shake Hands with the Devil: The Journey of Roméo Dallaire (2004). Documentary film directed by Peter Raymont. CBC.
- Keepers of Memory (2004). Documentary film directed by the journalist Eric Kabera.
- Beyond the Gates (2005)
- Ghosts of Rwanda (2005). Documentary film directed by the PBS. Post by the Frontline: The Triumph of Evil website.
- Exploring Rwanda and Darfur (2006). TV Documentary directed by the PBS. Post by The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, on the website.
- Screamers, a documentary by director Carla Garapedian. The documentary examines the repeating pattern of genocide, from the Armenian genocide, to the Holocaust, Cambodia, Bosnia, Rwanda, up to Darfur today. After its theatrical release in the US and Canada, the documentary was screened in the U.S. Congress, British Parliament and European Parliament to raise awareness about genocide education. The full documentary can be watched from the official YouTube channel of the movie  (2006).
- Flowers of Rwanda (2008). Documentary film directed by David Muñoz. Post by the Hibrida Newsgroup, on the website.
- Gacaca Film Series (2002–2009) Official site for the documentary film series that includes "My Neighbor My Killer" (Official Selection at Cannes Film Festival), "Gacaca Living Together in Rwanda?," "In Rwanda We Say...The family that does not speak dies" and "The Notebooks of Memory" By Emmy-winner Anne Aghion
- Flower in the Gun Barrel (2009). Documentary that focuses on the process of reconciliation and forgiveness in post genocide Rwanda.
- A Generation After Genocide (2010). Documentary film that follows three orphaned youth of different class, gender and ethnicity who are all connected by soccer. A Family-Style Films production. Currently in production. Directed by Torey Kohara and Jonathan Weiman.
- Burden of My Heart (2011). A poetic documentary film about the lives of the survivors and the ways of remembering in Rwanda 16 years after the genocide. A Finnish-Rwandan co-production. Awarded at Tampere film festival and DokLeipzig. Directed by Iris Olsson & Yves Niyongabo
- If Only We Had Listened by Immaculee Ilibagiza distributed by Ignatius Press.
- Intended Consequences by Jonathan Torgovnik on MediaStorm
- Rwanda, how history can lead to genocide directed by Robert Genoud.
- Duhozanye: A Rwandan Village of Widows (2011) by Karoline Frogner
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-02-10. Retrieved 2010-08-30.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Rwandan Genocide movie set to premiere in Kampala". Bigeye. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- Munyurangabo review, Roger Ebert- http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090722/REVIEWS/907229989
- Kinyarwanda, the movie. Interwoven tales from the Rwandan genocide - Thisisafrica
- indieWIRE January 20, 2011
- Zegna-Rata, Olivier (23 February 2001). "L'Afrique en morceaux : une leçon d'histoire immédiate". Afrik (in French). Retrieved March 10, 2012.
- "Screamers movie official" http://www.screamersmovie.com/press.html
- "Screamers(2006)" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0823668/
- Duhozanye: A Rwandan Village of Widows (2011): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3740808/
- Duhozanye: A Rwandan Village of Widows (2011): http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c810.shtml