List of first minority male lawyers and judges in Colorado
This is a list of the first minority male lawyer(s) and judge(s) in Colorado. It includes the year in which the men were admitted to practice law (in parentheses). Also included are other distinctions such as the first minority men in their state to obtain a law degree or become a political figure.
Firsts in state history
- Samuel E. Cary: First African American male lawyer in Colorado
- Jose D.L. Marquez (1970): First Latino male appointed as a Judge of the Colorado Court of Appeals (1988)
- Luis Rovira: First Hispanic male to serve as a Justice of the Supreme Court of Colorado (1979) and its Chief Justice (1990)
- Gregory Kellam Scott: First African American male appointed as a Justice of the Colorado Supreme Court (1992)
- Wiley Young Daniel (1971): First African American male appointed as a Judge of the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado (1995)
- Carlos F. Lucero (1964): First Hispanic American male appointed as a Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit (1995)
- Ken Salazar (1981): First Hispanic American male to serve as the Attorney General for Colorado (1999-2005)
- Carlos F. Lucero (1964): First Hispanic American male to serve as the President of the Colorado Bar Association (1977-1978)
- Wiley Young Daniel (1971): First African American male to serve as the President of the Colorado Bar Association (1991)
Firsts in local history
Alphabetized by county name
- James C. Flanigan: First African American male to serve as a Deputy District Attorney and municipal court judge in Denver, Colorado
- Norman S. Early Jr.: First African American male to serve as the District Attorney for Denver, Colorado [Denver County, Colorado]
- Gilbert Gutierrez: First Latino American male appointed as a Judge of the Weld County District Court, Colorado (1997)
Other topics of interest
- List of first women lawyers and judges in the United States
- List of first women lawyers and judges in Colorado
- "Sam Cary Bar Association". Sam Cary Bar Association. Retrieved 2017-09-21.
- Colorado Lawyer. Colorado Bar Association. April 1997.
- Post, Virginia Culver | The Denver (2008-09-02). "Lawyer broke race barrier to become judge". The Denver Post. Retrieved 2020-02-14.
- "Colorado Supreme Court milestone a family affair". The Denver Post. 2010-12-10. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- Martin, Mart (2018-04-24). The Almanac Of Women And Minorities In American Politics 2002. Routledge. ISBN 9780429976483.
- "Luis Rovira (1923 - 2011)". Denver Public Library History. 2018-06-01. Retrieved 2019-07-19.
- Mullarkey, Mary J. (March 6, 2000). "News: Colorado Judicial Branch" (PDF).
- "Wiley Daniel to step down as chief federal judge in Colorado". The Denver Post. 2012-02-21. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- Black Enterprise. E.G. Graves Publishing Company. 1991.
- "Judge Lucero". adams-preview.adams.edu. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- Hispanic Business. Hispanic Business Publications. 2005.
- Law Quadrangle Notes. University of Michigan Law School. 2003.
- Smith, Jessie Carney (2012-12-01). Black Firsts: 4,000 Ground-Breaking and Pioneering Historical Events. Visible Ink Press. ISBN 9781578594252.
- "Gilbert Gutierrez, Weld's first Latino judge, set to retire". Retrieved 2018-01-13.