List of association footballers who died while playing
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The following is a list of association footballers who died while playing a game, died directly from injuries sustained while playing, or died after being taken ill on the pitch. Following an increase in deaths, both during matches and training, the Federation of International Football Associations (FIFA) considered mandatory cardiac testing, already in place for years in some countries, such as Italy.
By 2009, FIFA player Pre-Competition Medical Assessment (PCMA) included family history, heart rhythm, sounds, and electrocardiogram (ECG) results. The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) required extensive medical tests, including ECG and echocardiogram for players in the Europa League 2011–12. Constant monitoring has been advised.
|13 January 1889||William Cropper||26||Staveley||Ruptured bowel in a match against Grimsby Town led to death the next day.|
|11 January 1892||James "Daddy" Dunlop||21||St Mirren||Tetanus from fall on piece of glass in a friendly game against Abercorn led to death ten days later, at the age of 21.|
|23 November 1893||Walter "Wash" Bannister||24||Chesterfield Town||Rupture of the kidney from a tackle in game against Derby Junction; he died almost three weeks later.|
|25 May 1896||James Logan||25||Loughborough F.C.||Pneumonia while playing.|
|29 November 1896||Joe Powell||25||Woolwich Arsenal||Blood poisoning and tetanus after breaking his arm against Kettering Town in 1896.|
|January 1900||James Collins||Sheppey United||Tetanus caused by on-field injury.|
|27 August 1902||Di Jones||35?||Manchester City||Gashed knee turned septic leading to death.|
|27 October 1906||David "Soldier" Wilson||23||Leeds City||Heart attack while playing against Burnley, probably from heavy smoking. He attempted to return to the field of play even when in great pain.|
|8 April 1907||Tommy Blackstock||25||Manchester United||Collapsed after heading a ball in a game against St. Helens and died.|
|January 1908||Frank Levick||26||Sheffield United||Pneumonia during recovery from collar bone broken playing against Newcastle United on New Years Day 1908. Attending Dr Selby of Attercliffe (Sheffield) noted heart failure at 1:40pm on 1 February 1908 at his father's house on 125 Plumpers Road Tinsley Sheffield|
|29 December 1909||James Main||23||Hibernian||Fatal stomach injuries during a Christmas Day match in 1909 against Partick Thistle at Firhill on a frostbound pitch, after colliding with a Thistle player, led to death four days later.|
|19 February 1916||Bob Benson||33||Arsenal||Burst blood vessel following a wartime game against Reading.|
|7 January 1921||Horace Fairhurst||27||Blackpool||Head injury in a league game at Barnsley in December 1920; died as a result of his injury early in the new year.|
|22 May 1921||Nikola Gazdić||Hajduk Split||Late stage tuberculosis after a game against Građanski Zagreb, Hajduk's greatest rival at the time.|
|14 November 1921||Joshua Wilkinson||24||Dumbarton||Goalkeeper who died from peritonitis two days after a game against Rangers.|
|11 November 1923||Tom Butler||Port Vale||Died from tetanus eight days after fracturing his arm in a match.|
|13 March 1927||Georges Le Bidois||26||Stade Olympique de l'Est||During a season-ending match of the Ligue Île-de-France, the goalkeeper Georges Le Bidois received a violent kick at his carotid from Swiss Aron Pollitz of US Suisse Paris, which made him succumbed in the locker room. Upon the announcement of his death, the game was called off.|
|4 April 1927||Albert Van Coile||27||Cercle Brugge||Perforated bowel after a collision with an opponent. Died one day later.|
|3 May 1927||David Arellano||24||Colo-Colo||Peritonitis after being hit by an opposing player during the match. Shortly after the incident Arellano was brought to a nearby clinic where he ultimately died.|
|30 April 1927||Sam Wynne||30||Bury||Collapsed and died on the field of pneumonia during a match against Sheffield United, although Bury claim it was a cerebral hemorrhage.|
|5 September 1931||John Thomson||22||Celtic||Injured during an Old Firm match when he dived for the ball and suffered a fractured skull in an accidental collision with Rangers' Sam English. He died that same evening.|
|17 June 1933||Jón Kristbjörnsson||22||Valur||A goalkeeper who collided with a striker from KR Reykjavik and suffered a head injury in the last game of the Icelandic League on 13. June 1933. Was taken to hospital, where he died from his injuries on 17 June 1933.|
|1 December 1934||Sim Raleigh||25||Gillingham||Died after a clash of heads with Brighton & Hove Albion's Paul Mooney in a game, who subsequently retired.|
|5 February 1936||Jimmy Thorpe||22||Sunderland||When playing as goalkeeper, Thorpe, a diabetic, collapsed into a coma from which he never recovered, attributed to the rough treatment he received on the pitch in a game against Chelsea. His death lead to the rule that players were no longer able to kick the ball out of the goalkeeper's arms.|
|12 November 1936||Jorge Chávez Boza||Atlético Chalaco||Playing in a friendly match for Atlético Chalaco, Chávez Boza had his femoral artery injured by Víctor Guarderas Lavalle from Alianza Lima. His limb was amputated which later led to his death since having diabetes.|
|14 May 1939||Asbjørn Rønneberg||17||Hof IL||Collapsed with a heart attack during the away game against Ramnes IL. He died within minutes after he was carried off the pitch.|
|15 May 1941||Law Adam||32||Thor||After retirement at the age of 24 due to heart problems in 1933, Adam was playing for Thor against Anasher in Surabaya in the Dutch East Indies on 15 May 1941. He suffered a heart attack which led to his death.|
|22 March 1946||Isaac Angulo||Alianza Lima||Collapsed during a friendly match against a saltpeter workers team in Antofagasta, Chile. He died from a possible cardiac arrest.|
|20 February 1949||Gustav Fähland||TSV Braunschweig||Internal bleeding a few days after a collision with an opposing player in a match between his club TSV Braunschweig (a temporary name for Eintracht Braunschweig) and SV Werder Bremen on 13 February 1949.|
|1 April 1951||Mitotônio||35||Ceará||Collapsed during a match. Death attributed to stomach congestion.|
|August 1953||John Kirkby||23||Wrexham||Collapsed during a match. Death attributed to a cardiac arrest.|
|14 July 1963||Constantin Tabarcea||26||Petrolul Ploieşti||Collapsed during a match. Death attributed to unusual activity of the thymus gland.|
|1 November 1966||Petar Radaković||29||NK Rijeka||Collapsed during a training session due to a heart ailment and died on the way to the hospital.|
|25 February 1967||Tony Allden||Highgate United||Struck by lightning during an FA Amateur Cup quarterfinal against Enfield.|
|16 December 1973||Pavão||26||F.C. Porto||Heart attack during a league game.|
|14 December 1975||Ángel Avilés||Deportivo Junín||Collapsed on the field after a run with the ball, playing against Atlético Chalaco at the Estadio Nacional del Perú, he previously had heart complications since playing for Colegio Nacional Iquitos. A stadium in Moyobamba was named after him.|
|18 May 1977||Tony Aveyard||21||Scarborough||Head injuries received during match.|
|27 August 1977||Michel Soulier||27||Namur||Died as a result of an attack in a Belgian Cup away match against Anderlecht at Parc Astrid. Stade Michel-Soulier in Namur was named in his honor.|
|30 October 1977||Renato Curi||24||Perugia||Heart attack while playing in a Serie A match against Juventus. Perugia's ground is named after him.|
|21 April 1980||Omar Sahnoun||24||Bordeaux||Died from a heart attack during a club training.|
|5 November 1981||Hocine Benmiloudi||26||CR Belouizdad||Died during the Ligue 1 match against USM Aïn Beïda in Stade 20 Août 1955 (Algiers), from severe food poisoning.|
|7 March 1982||Carlos Alberto Barbosa||28||Sport||Died from infarction after fainting in the match against XV de Jaú.|
|23 September 1984||Erik Jongbloed||21||DWS||Struck by lightning during an exhibition game.|
Son of Jan Jongbloed, goalkeeper of the Dutch national team in both the 1974 and 1978 FIFA World Cup Final.
|15 January 1987||José Antonio Gallardo||25||CD Málaga||Collided with an opponent on 21 December away to Celta de Vigo, underwent emergency surgery and returned home. Relapsed on 7 January with a cerebral haemorrhage and fell into an eight-day coma before dying.|
|23 August 1987||Paulo Navalho||20||Atlético Clube de Portugal||Acute myocardial infarction during a friendly match between Atletico and the UAE's Al-Jazira Club.|
|9 December 1987||Dursun Özbek||17||Galatasaray||Died from a heart attack in a training match in Florya.|
|7 February 1989||Sixto Rovina||27||Groningen||Collapsed at the moment he wanted to take a throw-in while playing against VV Hoogezand. He died of a heart attack.|
|12 August 1989||Samuel Okwaraji||24||Nigeria||Collapsed and died while playing against Angola in a World Cup Qualifier. An autopsy showed that the 24-year-old had an enlarged heart and high blood pressure.|
|8 September 1990||David Longhurst||25||York City||Heart attack on the pitch while playing against Lincoln City. He was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital.|
|2 February 1993||Michael Klein||33||Bayer Uerdingen||Heart attack during a training session.|
|1 September 1993||Gábor Zsiborás||35||MTK||The goalkeeper collapsed into a coma in the training session of Hungarian national team. After a week he died.|
|30 April 1995||Mukandi Tsimaya||28||Atromitos F.C.||Received an elbow hit in the neck by an opponent player, during a match against Panelefsiniakos. He died before going to hospital.|
|25 August 1995||Michael Goddard||Dundela||Died during a game against Dungannon Swifts at Stangmore Park after being struck in the chest by the ball.|
|29 October 1995||Amir Angwe||29||Julius Berger F.C.||Collapsed and died on the pitch of a heart attack.|
|4 January 1997||Hédi Berkhissa||24||Esperance Sportive de Tunis||Heart attack in a friendly game against Olympique Lyonnais at Stade Chedli Zouiten|
|4 April 1997||Waheeb Jabara||23||Hapoel Taibe||Heart attack while playing against Bnei Yehuda.|
|February 1998||Robbie James||40||Llanelli A.F.C.||Cardiomyopathy.|
|28 April 1998||Axel Jüptner||29||Carl Zeiss Jena||Died suddenly of a heart attack during training.|
|January 1999||Ferenc Biro||15||Nirajul Miercurea-Nir.||Died after a crossbar fell on his head during a warmup.|
|24 July 1999||Stefan Vrăbioru||23||Astra Ploieşti||Undetected heart defect that led to his collapse.|
|January 2000||Daniel Orbeanu||18||Caraimanul Buşteni||Died after an infection from a simple sprain, misdiagnosed by four different hospitals.|
|February 2000||John Ikoroma||17||Al-Wahda S.C.C.||Collapsed on the pitch and later died in hospital.|
|2 April 2000||Eri Irianto||26||Persebaya Surabaya||Died in hospital due to heart failure after a game between Persebaya and PSIM Yogyakarta.|
|6 May 2000||Robert Mitwerandu||30||Raków Częstochowa||Died from a heart attack in his house's bathroom, at the same night when his team lost 1–3 to Polar Wrocław.|
|21 May 2000||Hocine Gacemi||24||JS Kabylie||Died in a hospital in Paris, France, from a fractured skull after clash of heads two days earlier |
|30 May 2000||Ivan Krstić||19||Radnički Niš||Struck by lightning during a training session and was killed instantly. |
|5 October 2000||Cătălin Hîldan||24||Dinamo Bucharest||Died while playing for Dinamo; In the 74th minute of a friendly game against Olteniţa, Hîldan had a heart attack, and fell to the ground. The North Stand of Dinamo's stadium is named in his honour.|
|29 August 2001||Serhiy Perkhun||23||CSKA Moscow||Injured in a collision with Budun Budunov who also sustained serious head trauma. He received a brain hemorrhage and died eight days later.|
|20 November 2001||Cédric Lestic||26||AS Cherbourg||Died during a training session at André-Picquenot Stadium in Tourlaville as a result of a heart attack.|
|20 February 2002||Cristian Neamțu||21||Universitatea Craiova||Accidentally struck in the mandible by a teammate charging towards goal. Internal bleeding was discovered, before he died one week later.|
|October 2002||Marcio Dos Santos||28||Deportivo Wanka||Dos Santos suffered a heart attack after a game of his Peruvian club Deportivo Wanka, which scored a goal in the 3–1 win over Alianza Lima.|
|24 October 2002||Hernán Gaviria||32||Deportivo Cali||Struck by lightning during a training session, and was killed instantly.|
|27 October 2002||Giovanni Córdoba||24||Deportivo Cali||Struck by the same lightning that killed Hernán Gaviria, and died three days later from the injuries.|
|12 December 2002||Stefan Toleski||23||FK Napredok||Collapsed during a match and later died in a hospital.|
|9 March 2003||Marvin Lee||21||Trinidad and Tobago national under-20 football team||Sustained neck and spinal injuries in a collision with Landon Donovan during the 2001 CONCACAF U-20 Tournament on 20 March 2001. Paralysed, he died two years later on 9 March 2003 having stopped breathing.|
|26 June 2003||Marc-Vivien Foé||28||Cameroon||Collapsed while playing in the 2003 FIFA Confederations Cup semi-final between his country and Colombia, and died shortly afterward in hospital. An autopsy later revealed the cause of death was hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.|
|9 August 2003||Ali Bakar||55||Malaysia and Penang||Suffered a heart attack and died on the field while playing in a charity football match in Singapore in 2003.|
|25 January 2004||Miklós Fehér||24||Benfica||Cardiac arrest caused by hypertrophic cardiomyopathy while playing against Vitória.|
|29 February 2004||Danny Ortiz||27||CSD Municipal||Torn pericardium during a match against CSD Comunicaciones when he collided with Mario Rafael Rodríguez. He died later in a hospital.|
|27 October 2004||Serginho||30||São Caetano||Sudden cardiac death during a Campeonato Brasileiro Série A match against São Paulo. His death motivated a revamping of practices in medical assistance from clubs and stricter preventative measures in sports grounds in Brazil.|
|5 December 2004||Cristiano Júnior||24||Dempo Sports Club||Collided with Mohun Bagan goalkeeper Subrata Paul in the 78th minute of the Federation Cup finals while scoring his second goal. He staggered away, then collapsed. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead upon arrival at Hosmat Hospital.|
|12 April 2005||Paul Sykes||28||Folkestone Invicta||Collapsed on the pitch 30 minutes into the game against Margate F.C. in the Kent Senior Cup Semi-Final. An undiagnosed heart defect was identified as the cause of his death.|
|27 May 2005||Alin Paicu||32||Minerul Mătăsari||Collapsed after heading a ball. Died of a heart attack.|
|25 June 2005||Hugo Cunha||28||U.D. Leiria||Died suddenly from a cardiac arrest during a football match played with friends in Montemor-o-Novo.|
|11 April 2006||Victor Alfonso Guerrero||17||Envigado F.C.||Died suddenly during a training match. He had lost consciousness on the ground and his body had arrived lifeless to the hospital.|
|12 June 2006||Rasmus Green||26||Næstved BK||Heart attack during a training session and was, despite revival attempts from teammates and a doctor, declared dead upon arrival at the local hospital. The number 7 was afterwards retired in his honor.|
|10 August 2006||Gökmen Yıldıran||28||Elazığspor||Suffered a heart attack during training, he died before being taken to the hospital.|
|30 August 2006||Mohamed Abdelwahab||23||Al-Ahly||Died from undetected heart defect during a training match.|
|9 September 2006||Matt Gadsby||27||Hinckley United||Collapsed on the pitch during a Conference North game against Harrogate Town and died soon afterwards at Harrogate District Hospital. Medical tests revealed he died from a heart condition known as arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy.|
|18 September 2006||Nilton Pereira Mendes||30||FC Shakhter Karagandy||Collapsed on the pitch during a training session with his club and died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. The Brazilian was a former top scorer and best player for the Kazakhstan Premier League.|
|27 March 2007||Ivan Karačić||19||NK Široki Brijeg||Heart attack and died during a training match in Široki Brijeg, Bosnia and Herzegovina.|
|19 August 2007||Anton Reid||16||Walsall||Collapsed and died during youth team pre-season training. An inquest recorded a verdict of natural causes.|
|28 August 2007||Antonio Puerta||22||Sevilla FC||Collapsed during a match against Getafe C.F.. He died later in hospital after several cardiac arrests. Autopsy revealed arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy|
|29 August 2007||Chaswe Nsofwa||28||Hapoel Beersheba||Sudden heart failure during a training match against Maccabi Beersheba.|
|29 December 2007||Phil O'Donnell||35||Motherwell||Collapsed during his team's 5–3 win against Dundee United with what was later confirmed as left ventricular failure. He died on the way to the hospital.|
|9 February 2008||Guy Tchingoma||22||FC 105 Libreville||Died shortly after a league game against Union Sportive O'Mbila. During the match, he collided with an opponent. He managed to finish the game, but collapsed shortly after and medics were unable to revive him.|
|16 February 2008||Hervé King||27||Ringmer||Collapsed 17 minutes into a game against Three Bridges of an undetermined cause (heart attack suspected).|
|3 April 2008||Hrvoje Ćustić||24||NK Zadar||Collided with a concrete wall during a game against Cibalia and died in a hospital 5 days later of severe head injuries|
|31 May 2008||Rustem Bulatov||34||Torpedo SDYuSShOR Kaluga||Felt ill during a game, died later that day in a hospital.|
|15 March 2009||Jumadi Abdi||26||PKT Bontang||Collapsed after an incident with Denny Tarkas during the match of his club PKT Bontang against Persela Lamongan. Denny kicked Jumadi's stomach when he was trying to get the ball. Jumadi died in a hospital 8 days later of severe infection.|
|3 April 2009||Víctor Hugo Ávalos||37||Villa Florida||Heart attack during a match against Salesianito. He died the next day.|
|26 May 2009||Orobosan Adun||28||Warri Wolves FC||Before an away match with Enugu Rangers, goalkeeper Adun of Warri Wolves FC, was assaulted by thugs suspected to be fans of the opposition team. Adun died 3 days later from internal haemorrhage, during a training session.|
|8 August 2009||Daniel Jarque||26||RCD Espanyol||Cardiac arrest following a training session.|
|2 September 2009||Alexandru Iatan||19||Dunărea Giurgiu||The Romanian goalkeeper was hit in the abdominal area with a ball while trying to defend a penalty kick during team training. He continued his training but a few moments later he collapsed and died of cardiac arrest.|
|15 November 2009||Maurizio Greco||25||TuS Güldenstern Stade||Collapsed during the match of his club TuS Güldenstern Stade against Lupo Martini Wolfsburg at Campers Höhe and died later in the hospital.|
|18 November 2009||Salem Saad||31||Al-Nasr||Died of a heart attack during a training session.|
|24 January 2010||Yannick Dago||17||Arras Football||Collapsed during the match of his under-19 team club Arras Football against Etoile Sportive Anzin Saint Aubin and died later on a heart attack.|
|6 March 2010||Endurance Idahor||25||Al-Merreikh||Collapsed during the match of his Sudanese club Al Merreikh against Alamal Atbara. He died in the ambulance. Autopsy report revealed that he suffered a circulatory collapse from a heart attack.|
|8 March 2010||Bartholomew Opoku||19||Kessben F.C.||Collapsed the day before while playing against league side Liberty. He was quickly taken to hospital and is understood to have stabilized overnight. His death was announced the next day by his club.|
|May 2010||Goran Tunjić||32||Mladost FC||Heart attack during a 5th Division match. It was widely reported that Tunjić had been booked by the referee for diving, though such reports were later refuted by some sources.|
|2 May 2010||Ambrose Wleh||24||Invincible Eleven||Heart failure in a match against Mighty Barrolle. He came on as a substitute in the second half before collapsing in the center circle with no other players near him. He died shortly afterwards upon arrival to a hospital in Monrovia, Liberia.|
|18 August 2010||Victor Omogbehin||22||Ilford F.C.||Collapsed during a league match. He played in the Isthmian Football League game from Ilford against the Lowestoft Town FC.|
|8 May 2010||Wilson Mene||22||Prek Pra Keila||Collapsed during a league match. He played in Metfone Cambodian League at National Olympic Stadium.|
|10 November 2010||Benjamin Owusu||21||Cavaliers FC Parakou||Collapsed while playing in Benin.|
|12 December 2010||Emmanuel Ogoli||21||Ocean Boys F.C.||Collapsed on the pitch while playing a league match, and died later in a hospital.|
|12 April 2011||Lokissimbaye Loko||30||FC Beaumontois||Heart attack during a Ligue Midi-Pyrenees match.|
|4 August 2011||Naoki Matsuda||34||Matsumoto Yamaga F.C.||Collapsed during training on 2 August 2011 due to a cardiac arrest after finishing a 15-minute warmup run, and doctors diagnosed his condition as "extremely severe". After two days, he died on 4 August.|
|13 November 2011||Bobsam Elejiko||30||K. Merksem S.C.||Collapsed and died while playing a 5th tier match for K. Merksem S.C. against F.C. Exc. Kaart|
|15 March 2012||Dhanraj Venkatesh||27||Bangalore Mars||Collapsed toward the end of the game; reports suggest cardiac arrest as the cause of death.|
|10 April 2012||Patrick Grange||29||University of New Mexico||Died of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, after already having chronic traumatic encephalopathy.|
|14 April 2012||Piermario Morosini||25||Livorno||Collapsed during a Serie B game against Pescara. The cause of death was cardiac arrest.|
|5 May 2012||Mohamed Lemine Ould M'Boye||ASC Nasr Zem Zem||Collapsed twenty minutes into a game against FC Legwareb-FC Trarza in a Mauritanian Premier League match. Died on arrival at a hospital due to cardiac arrest. The game was postponed and replayed on 26 May, with Zem Zem winning 2–1.|
|5 August 2012||Chinonso Ihelwere Henry||21||Delta Tulcea||Collapsed during a friendly game against FC Balotesti in the 86th minute, after having been brought on for only 10 minutes. With the temperature being 40 °C, doctors tried reviving the Nigerian player for 30 minutes before declaring him dead. Supposedly, he underwent health tests a week before his death with no signs of problems detected. The cause was of his death was heart failure.|
|2 September 2012||Victor Brannstrom||29||Piteå IF||Collapsed shortly after scoring during a meeting in the Division 2, in which he suffered a cardiac arrest and died after arriving at hospital.|
|7 October 2012||Joshua Pepple||24||LKS Pomorzaninem Nowogard||Collapsed from a heart attack in a league game against Iskierką Szczecin and died on the pitch.|
|20 October 2012||Jaouad Akaddar||28||Hassania Agadir||Suffered a heart attack immediately after the end of a match.|
|2 April 2013||Quentin Margueritte||25||USON Mondeville||Collapsed during a training session of his club USON Mondeville. The cause of death was cardiac arrest.|
|20 April 2013||Dominik Rupp||23||FSV Hemmersdorf||Collapsed during a Saarlandliga game against Saar 05 Saarbrücken. The cause of death was cardiac arrest.|
|16 May 2013||Berat Sacipi||31||SV Inter Itzehoe||Collapsed during a Kreisklasse A Steinburg game against ABC Wesseln. The cause of death was cardiac arrest.|
|17 June 2013||Mohammad Fahad||32||Al-Sulaibikhat||In a non-official match played in May 2013, Mohammed Fahad collided with another player, causing him a severe bleeding in the brain and coma until the dawn of June 17, 2013, when he died.|
|21 June 2013||Alen Pamić||23||NK Istra 1961||Collapsed during a retreat game for MNK Maružini of a heart attack.|
|21 July 2013||Yair Clavijo||18||Sporting Cristal||The 18-year-old footballer from Sporting Cristal died during a reserve match against Real Garcilaso on 20 June 2013. The autopsy determined he died from a cerebral edema with brain herniation caused by hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.|
|27 July 2013||Sékou Camara||27||Pelita Bandung Raya||Collapsed on the field during his team's practice session in Bandung. He was rushed to the nearest hospital, but died on the way there. The cause of death was a heart attack.|
|30 July 2013||Matthias Viereckl||19||SC Marchtrenk||Died in a friendly game against Union Steinhaus.|
|17 November 2013||Alex Marques||20||G.D. Tourizense||Cardiac arrest after seven minutes of the match between Tourizense and Carapinheirense.|
|23 December 2013||Jamie Skinner||13||Tynecastle||Cardiac arrest during a game in the Saughton Park in Edinburgh.|
|28 February 2014||Kevon Carter||30||Defence Force||Died of a heart attack after feeling chest pains during a training session in the morning.|
|19 May 2014||Akli Fairuz||27||Persiraja||Died after colliding with opposition goalkeeper during a match in the Indonesian Premier League. Fairuz was substituted and admitted to hospital but died due to internal bleeding the next day.|
|23 August 2014||Albert Ebossé Bodjongo||24||JS Kabylie||Hit by a projectile while leaving the pitch. However a post-mortem examination showed he may have actually died from a severe beating.|
|19 October 2014||Peter Biaksangzuala||23||Bethlehem Vengthlang||Died from spinal injuries that occurred as he landed awkwardly while celebrating a goal at 61 minutes against Chanmari West.|
|10 November 2014||Dipak Adhikari||Abu Dhabi Police Force Team||The Nepalese born player and member of the Abu Dhabi Police's team died after collapsing during a match.|
|28 March 2015||Ben Hiscox||30||Stoke Gifford||While tackling during a league match against Mangotsfield Sports, the English footballer stumbled and fell backwards, hitting his head against the wall of Stoke Gifford's clubhouse. He died a few days later.|
|30 April 2015||Gregory Mertens||24||Sporting Lokeren||Belgian footballer Gregory Mertens died of heart failure, three days after collapsing during a reserve team match against Genk, having never regained consciousness after receiving CPR during the first half.|
|11 May 2015||Tim Nicot||23||Beerschot-Wilrijk||Belgian footballer died of heart failure, only two weeks after Gregory Mertens, during a tournament game.|
|14 May 2015||Emanuel Ortega||21||San Martín de Burzaco||Argentine footballer passes away after sustaining fatal head injury during match.|
|24 May 2015||Cristian Gómez||27||Club Atlético Paraná||Argentine footballer died of heart failure during a Primera B Nacional match.|
|31 May 2015||Shetemi Ayetigbo||16||Belvedere||During a Dublin & District Schoolboy League game against St Kevin's Boys, Ayetigbo, a Nigerian-Irish footballer collapsed and died.|
|13 June 2015||David Oniya||30||T-Team||Nigerian footballer collapsed three minutes after kick-off in a friendly match against Kelantan and died less one hour later in hospital.|
|7 July 2015||Junior Dian||23||Tonbridge Angels||Collapsed in a pre-season friendly game at Whyteleafe.|
|15 October 2015||Sergei Filippenkov||44||FC Zenit Penza||Died during a friendly match between veteran teams in Pensa.|
|1 May 2016||Stefan Petrovski||18||Melaka United||Struck by lightning while training on 5 April, died in hospital.|
|6 May 2016||Patrick Ekeng||26||Dinamo București||Collapsed in a match against FC Viitorul Constanța seven minutes after he came on from the bench and was taken to hospital, where he died less than two hours later.|
|7 May 2016||Bernardo Ribeiro||26||Friburguense||Brazilian footballer for Friburguense collapsed during a friendly match before being taken to a hospital, where he died of a suspected heart attack.|
|9 May 2016||Jeanine Christelle Djomnang||26||Femina Stars Ebolowa, Cameroon national team||Cameroonian goalkeeper, collapsed during her warm-up before a match in Cameroon. She died of a suspected heart attack.|
|16 July 2016||Antony Stott||26||Thirroul Thunder||Australian amateur footballer, collapsed 10 minutes into a match against Sandon Point and died en route to hospital. Cause of death suspected to have been a cardiac arrest.|
|15 August 2016||Michael Umanika||20||Zagatala||Nigerian midfielder for Zagatala PFK collapsed during a team training session in Zagatala. He died of a suspected heart attack.|
|11 September 2016||Ben Idrissa Dermé||34||AJ Biguglia||Died of a heart attack during a French cup match.|
|13 September 2016||Dan Wilkinson||26||Shaw Lane||Suffered a cardiac arrest on the pitch in an Integro League Cup match against Brighouse Town. He died in the following hours in hospital.|
|26 April 2017||Moïse Brou Apanga||35||FC 105 Libreville||Ivorian-born Gabonese defender for FC 105 Libreville died after suffering a heart attack during team training.|
|28 April 2017||Gofaone Tiro||26||Township Rollers||Botswana winger; collapsed of a heart attack during team training session and was pronounced dead upon arrival at hospital.|
|3 June 2017||Aseged Tesfaye||46||Ethiopian Coffee||Ethiopian striker; collapsed of a heart attack during team training session and was pronounced dead upon arrival at hospital. Doctors described the cause of death as Mitral Valve Regurgitation.|
|5 June 2017||Cheick Tioté||30||Beijing Enterprises||Ivorian defensive midfielder; collapsed and lost consciousness during a training session and was pronounced dead later that day with a suspected death cause of a heart attack.|
|15 October 2017||Choirul Huda||38||Persela Lamongan||Indonesian goalkeeper; while trying to retrieve the match ball from an opponent during a match against Semen Padang F.C., he collided with his teammate Ramon Rodrigues and suffered injuries to his lower jaw and head. He was briefly conscious immediately after the collision, but later succumbed to his injuries in a local hospital.|
|2 November 2017||Joel Lobanzo||17||Royal Antwerp u-19||Lobanzo collapsed in training with the U-19 team on 31 October. He died a day later during the night of 1–2 November. It is believed that a heart attack was the cause of death.|
|24 March 2018||Bruno Boban||25||Marsonia 1909||Croatian winger; Boban collapsed during a match between Marsonia and Požega Slavonia. After several minutes of attempted resuscitation by medical staff and a retired doctor who was spectating, he was pronounced dead.|
|4 May 2018||Luyanda Ntshangase||21||Maritzburg United||South African midfielder who was struck by lightning during a friendly game on 1 May 2018. He died three days later from his injuries.|
|6 October 2018||Ramon Neto da Costa||31||Araranguá Esporte Clube||Brazilian attacker who died during a friendly game on 6 October 2018.|
- "deaths on field". Retrieved 8 February 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "BBC SPORT | Football | African | Fifa to discuss cardiac testing". BBC News. 2007-08-31. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- Sample, Ian (4 July 2008). "Doctors call for heart checks on athletes". Guardian. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "FIFA PCMA" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 August 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "UEFA Europa League Regs" (PDF). Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "2012 Rome doctor". Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "James Dunlop". stmirren.info.
- http://www.cfchistory.com/walter-bannister. Missing or empty
- [dead link]
- "The Definitive History of Leeds United – Matches – 27 October 1906 – Leeds City 0 Burnley 1". Mightyleeds.co.uk. 1906-10-27. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- "The Excruciating Death of Frank Levick – Sheffield 1908". chrishobbs.com.
- "Arsenal history: On this day... February 19". Arsenal.com. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014.
- Harris, Jeff & Hogg, Tony (ed.) (1995). Arsenal Who's Who. Independent UK Sports. ISBN 1-899429-03-4.
- "I campioni di Spalato un osso duro per tutti" (PDF). Kramarsic family site. Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 July 2011. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Quirky Injuries". goalkeepersaredifferent.com.
- "Le Matin: derniers télégrammes de la nuit". Le Matin (in French). 14 March 1927.
- "NuméroLe Petit Parisien: journal quotidien du soir". Le Petit Parisien (in French). 14 March 1927.
- "The Death of Samuel Wynne – May 1927". chrishobbs.com.
- Salman. "List of Footballers who died while playing!". Top Sports Blog. Archived from the original on 6 December 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- "El balón está de duelo" (in Spanish). dechalaca.com. 28 August 2007.
- Sarpsborg Arbeiderblad: Falt død om under fotballkampen (p. 4, 15 May 1939)
- Jurryt van de Vooren (2007-10-08). "Vergeten Sporthelden: Law Adam" (in Dutch). Sportgeschiedenis.nl. Retrieved 2007-11-30.
- "Stadtchronik Braunschweig: 1949" (in German). braunschweig.de. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- "Folha Online – Colunas – Papo de Esporte – Artigo: Mitotônio e a panelada assassina – 03/06/2003". .folha.uol.com.br. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- Matthews, Tony (1994). The Encyclopaedia of Stoke City. Lion Press. ISBN 0-9524151-0-0.
- "Deceased players". Romaniansoccer.ro. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Memorijal Pero Radaković". nk-rijeka.hr. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "Radaković, Petar". Nogometni leksikon (in Croatian). Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "Gelsenkirchen – a football town through and through" (PDF). Fifa.com. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Fernando Pascoal Neves "Pavão" – CHAVES ANTIGA". Chavesantiga.blogs.sapo.pt. 2016-04-23. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 5 October 2012. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Seadogs_Fans_contact_details". Seadogsfans.co.uk. 1965-11-27. Archived from the original on 1 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- "30 years after death of Hocine Benmiloudi". elkhabar.com. November 5, 2011. Archived from the original on March 4, 2013.
- "Sport 4x0 XV de Jaú". futpédia (in Portuguese). 7 March 1982.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 28 April 2011. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- "Muere Gallardo después de ocho días en coma" [Gallardo dies after eight days in a coma] (in Spanish). El País. 16 January 1987. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 February 2014. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Bir anda yere yıkıldı". CNN Türk (in Turkish). 7 June 2017.
- "Pemain-pemain Bola yang Mendadak Meninggal di Lapangan Hijau". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "A history of sudden deaths in football – Other Sports – The Star Online". thestar.com.my.
- "Israele: muore in campo calciatore arabo". Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- "Slump and Die: The Tragedy Continues..., Articles – THISDAY LIVE". thisdaylive.com. Archived from the original on 18 January 2016.
- "SENAYAN News". 8k.com. Archived from the original on 29 July 2007.
- "The tragedy at "Cair" thunder kills young representative Ivana Krstic". Arhiva.glas-javnosti.rs. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Cédric Lestic s'en est allé". Le Parisien (in French). 22 November 2001.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 30 July 2013. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Murió Herman "Carepa" Gavíria tras ser alcanzado por un rayo (Herman "Carepa" Gaviria died after being hit by lightning)" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2008-02-28.
- "Otros casos recientes" (in Spanish). ABC. 28 August 2007. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Bailey, Joel (10 March 2003). "Marvin Lee passes away". Trinidad and Tobago's Newsday. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Barrero, Jim (11 March 2003). "Ex-Trinidad Player Lee Dies at 21". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Former Malaysian striker dies during football match: report – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)". Abc.net.au. 2003-08-17. Retrieved 2016-05-30.
- "BBC NEWS – UK – England – Kent – Football player dies after game". bbc.co.uk.
- "FACTBOX-Soccer-Sudden deaths of players". Reuters. 9 August 2009. Retrieved 2 September 2009.
- "Antonio Puerta rend l'âme". RDS (in Spanish). 28 August 2007.
- "Fodbold-spiller faldt død om under træning – Nyheder". BT.dk. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- Shaheen, Amr (31 August 2006). "Heart defect kills Egypt defender". BBC News. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "BBC SPORT – Football – Non League – Hinckley Utd defender Gadsby dies". bbc.co.uk.
- "МЫ остались без Мендеса... – Спорт.Gazeta.kz". sport.gazeta.kz.
- "Croatian teenager footballer dies in training_sports_English_SINA.com". sina.com.
- "BBC NEWS – UK – England – West Midlands – Footballer died of natural causes". bbc.co.uk.
- "BBC SPORT – Football – My Club – Motherwell – Motherwell captain O'Donnell dies". bbc.co.uk.
- "Internationalul gabonez Guy Tchingoma a murit pe teren, intr-un meci din campionat". sport365.ro.
- "UK | England | Tributes to pitch-death player". BBC News. 2008-02-18. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- Edwards, Richard (14 September 2008). "Mother's devastation at losing two sons in seven months". The Daily Telegraph. London. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "PHOTO: Croatian Footballer Hrvoje Custic Dies". dalje.com. Archived from the original on 17 October 2013.
- "Скончался бывший игрок "Рубина"". Sports.ru.
- "Indonesia in mourning". ESPN Star. 15 March 2009. Archived from the original on 6 September 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Falleció el futbolista paraguayo Víctor Hugo Avalos". Cooperativa.cl. 3 April 2009.
- "Ocean Boys' Ogoli Dies, Articles – THISDAY LIVE". thisdaylive.com. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014.
- "BBC SPORT – Football – Europe – Espanyol stunned by Jarque death". bbc.co.uk.
- "Alexandru Iatan a decedat în timpul unui antrenament cu Dunărea Giurgiu! Astăzi fusese împrumutat de la Astra!" [Alexandru Iatan died during a training session with the Dunarea Giurgiu! Today he had been loaned from Astra!] (in Romanian). gsp.ro. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- "Ploieşti: Memorial pentru fotbalistul mort la numai 19 ani, Alexandru Iatan" [Ploiesti: Memorial for the footballer who died at just 19 years, Alexandru Iatan] (in Romanian). adevarul.ro. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- "Maurizio Greco stirbt auf dem Fußballplatz – Startseite – Tageblatt.de". tageblatt.de. Archived from the original on 29 May 2010.
- "UAE club striker dies after collapsing on pitch". ESPNsoccernet. 19 November 2009. Retrieved 19 November 2009.
- "Il y a un an, Yannick Dago, footballeur de 17 ans d'Arras Football, trouvait la mort sur un terrain". La Voix du Nord. Archived from the original on 19 October 2013.
- "BBC Sport – Football – Ghanaian player Bartholomew Opoku dies after game". BBC News. 2010-03-09. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Player dies on pitch, yellow carded". Sport – Australian Sport – SportsFan. Archived from the original on 19 March 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- "Player gets yellow card for fatal heart attack during match (UPDATE: No he didn't)". Yahoo Sports. 5 May 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 December 2010. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "Talented young footballer dies after he goes to see friend's body". The Evening Standard.
- GADAFFI. "ORACLE OF CAMBODIA". kengadaffi.blogspot.co.uk.
- "Ex-Ghana U17 captain Owusu dies". GHANAsoccernet.com – Latest Football News, Football Headlines, Live Scores, Results, Fixtures.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 18 March 2012. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- Alwihda Info. "Hommage à LOKISSIMBAYE LOKO, notre footballeur talentueux qui nous a quitté". Alwihda Info – Actualités TCHAD, Afrique, International.
- "Naoki Matsuda dies after heart attack – ESPN Soccernet". Soccernet.espn.go.com. 2011-08-04. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- "BBC Sport – Nigerian player Bobsam Elejiko dies in Belgium". BBC News. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- "Venkatesh's demise is a lesson for officials to stop posing with Blatter as it's time to wake-up". Goal.com. 26 March 2012.
- "D. Venkatesh collapses, dies". ESPN Soccernet. 2012-03-16. Archived from the original on 25 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "Brain Trauma Extends to the Soccer Field". The New York Times. 26 February 2014.
- "Serie B midfielder Piermario Morosini dies after collapsing during game". London: The Guardian. 14 April 2012. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- "Tragedy strikes as Mauritania season ends – Magharebia". magharebia.com.
- "Mauritania 2011/12". Rsssf.com. 2013-05-23. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "UPDATE Şoc la un meci amical! Henry, de la Delta Tulcea, A MURIT pe teren: "La controlul de acum o săptămînă nu s-a descoperit nimic"".
- "Swedish football player dies of a suspected heart attack on the pitch in front of shocked fans". Daily Mail. 3 September 2012.
- "JOSHUA PEPPLE Undergoes Autopsy".
- "وفاة المهاجم المغربي جواد أقدار لاعب حسنية أغادير". Alarabiya.net. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Mondeville : Disparition de Quentin Margueritte". Foot National. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Der FSV Hemmersdorf, die Aktiven der ersten und zweiten Mannschaft, die Jugendabteilung, die Fans und Freunde des Vereins trauern um Dominik "Ruppi" Rupp der gestern unter tragischen Umständen verstorben ist". FSV Hemmersdorf. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Trauer um Berat Sacipi – Spendenkonto eingerichtet". SHZ. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "اللاعب محمد فهاد في ذمة الله". Alwatan.kuwait.tt. 2013-06-17. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "U 24-oj godini života preminuo Alen Pamić". NK Istra 1961. Archived from the original on 24 June 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Futbolistas lamentaron fallecimiento del jugador de Cristal Yair Clavijo". RPP Noticias. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- "Yair Clavijo falleció por un edema cerebral, según necropsia de ley". rpp.com.pe. 22 July 2013. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Jair Clavijo: Necropsia señala que tenía patología cardíaca". peru.com (in Spanish). 22 July 2013. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "PBR striker dies in practice session". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "UNION STEINHAUS SEKTION FUSSBALL – Wir trauern um Matthias Viereckl". union-steinhaus.at.
- "Alex Marques". Facebook.
- Edisport. ":.: Tragédia em jogo do Tourizense – Futebol Nacional – Jornal Record :.:". xl.pt.
- "Jogador do Tourizense morre em campo". Maisfutebol.
- "Footballer, 13, dies during Tynecastle FC match". BBC News.
- "Trinidad and Tobago striker Kevon Carter dies of suspected heart attack". The Guardian. 28 February 2014.
- Steve Robson (19 May 2014). "Akli Fairuz death: Indonesian Premier League footballer dies days after suffering horror tackle – Mirror Online". mirror.
- "BBC Sport – Cameroonian player dies in Algeria after being hit by object from crowd". BBC Sport.
- "BBC Sport – Albert Ebosse: New tests claim Cameroonian died after beating". BBC Sport.
- "BBC Sport – Peter Biaksangzuala: Indian player dies after goal celebration". BBC Sport.
- "Indian footballer dies after celebrating goal". GMA News. 20 October 2014. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "One Nepalese Dies After Playing A Football Match In Abu Dhabi, UAE". goalnepal.com. 10 November 2014. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Football returns to Stoke Gifford after 2015 death". bbc.co.uk/sport. 3 September 2017. Retrieved 3 September 2017.
- "Gregory Mertens dies after on-pitch collapse". bbc.co.uk/sport. 30 April 2015. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "Tim Nicot: Second Belgian player dies of cardiac arrest". bbc.co.uk/sport. 11 May 2015. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Ed Malyon (14 May 2015). "Emanuel Ortega dies: Argentine footballer passes away after sustaining fatal head injury during match". mirror. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- Ed Malyon (24 May 2015). "Argentine footballer Cristian Gomez dies after suffering suspected heart attack during game". The Mirror. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Teenager dies after collapsing during soccer match". Rte.ie. 2015-05-31. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- "Teenage boy who died in football match named". Utv.ie. 1 June 2015. Archived from the original on 19 February 2016. Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- "RIP Shetemi Ayetigbo | Football Association of Ireland". Fai.ie. 2015-06-01. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Shetemi Ayetigbo: Young Nigerian footballer dies on pitch". Modernghana.com. 2015-06-01. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Nigerian defender David Oniya dies after collapsing during match – BBC Sport". Bbc.co.uk. 2015-06-13. Retrieved 2016-05-30.
- "Tonbridge Angels: Junior Dian dies after collapsing during game – BBC Sport". Bbc.co.uk. 2015-07-08. Retrieved 2016-05-30.
- "В возрасте 44 лет умер экс-игрок ЦСКА Сергей Филиппенков – Новости – Советский Спорт". Sovsport.ru. 2014-07-28. Retrieved 2016-05-30.
- "Young Australian goalkeeper Stefan Petrovski dies following lightning strike". The Guardian. 1 May 2016. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Dinamo Bucharest midfielder Patrick Ekeng dies after collapsing on pitch". The Guardian. 6 May 2016.
- Houghton, Nick (2016-05-08). "Former Newcastle Jets midfielder dies during match in Brazil | : The World Game". Theworldgame.sbs.com.au. Retrieved 2016-05-30.
- Guardian sport. "Goalkeeper dies in warm-up before match in Cameroon | Football". The Guardian. Retrieved 2016-05-30.
- Shannon Tonkin (17 July 2016). "Tributes pour in for much-loved teacher Antony Scott after soccer tragedy". Illawarra Mercury. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- Azeri Football (15 August 2016). "На тренировке скончался нигерийский футболист ФК Загатала" (in Russian). Azeri Football. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- Charles Monti (11 September 2016). "Ben Idrissa Derme (AJ Biguglia) : La mort sur un terrain de foot" (in French). Corse Net Infos. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Aaron Flanagan (2016-09-17). "Ex-Premier League starlet Daniel Wilkinson dies after collapsing during cup match – Mirror Online". Mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 27 April 2017. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- Osano, Bonface (2017-04-28). "Township Rollers' Gofaone Tiro collapses and dies". Soka25east.com. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- "Ethiopia mourns former international Tesfaye". ethiopanorama.com. 2017-06-04. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- "北控发布蒂奥特去世公告 在球队训练时突发昏厥" (in Chinese). Sports Sina. 5 June 2017. Retrieved 5 June 2017.
- "Choirul Huda: Indonesian goalkeeper dies after collision with team-mate". BBC Sport. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "Royal Antwerp's Joel Lobanzo, 17, dies after suffering cardiac arrest". ESPN FC. 2 November 2017. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- "Tragedy in Slavonski Brod: Marsoni's Footballer Bruno Boban died during the match". GOL.hr. 24 March 2018. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Luyanda Ntshangase: South African footballer dies after lightning strike". BBC News. 4 May 2018. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Atacante passa mal e morre durante partida de futebol no sul". portallitoralsul.com.br. 6 October 2018. Retrieved 8 October 2018.