List of former atheists and agnostics
Jump to navigation Jump to search
For lists of atheists who converted to Christianity, Islam, or Judaism see the following links:
- List of converts to Christianity from nontheism
- List of converts to Islam from nontheism
- List of converts to Judaism from Atheism
All other former atheists and agnostics that have been listed so far are below.
- 1 Former atheists
- 2 Former agnostics
- 3 See also
- 4 References
Atheists who converted to Christianity
- Kirk Cameron - American actor. Cameron was an atheist in his early teens. When he was 17, during the height of his career on Growing Pains, he became a born-again Christian.
- Rosalind Picard - Professor of Media Arts and Sciences at MIT, director and also the founder of the Affective Computing Research Group at the MIT Media Lab, co-director of the Things That Think Consortium, and co-founder of startups Affectiva and Empatica
- Hugh Ross (astrophysicist) - Canadian astrophysicist, Christian apologist, and old earth creationist.
- Alister McGrath - Northern Irish scientist, theologian, priest, intellectual historian and Christian apologist.
- Francis Collins - American physician, geneticist. He is director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Alexis Carrel - French surgeon and biologist who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1912.
- Lee Strobel - American Christian Apologetic author. He has written several books, including four which received ECPA Christian Book Awards (1994, 1999, 2001, 2005) and a series which addresses challenges to a Biblically inerrant view of Christianity.
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - Russian novelist, historian. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1970.
- Vladimir Putin - current President of the Russian Federation.
- Czesław Miłosz - poet, prose writer, translator and diplomat. He was awarded the Neustadt International Prize for Literature, and in 1980 the Nobel Prize in Literature.
- C. S. Lewis - British novelist, poet, academic, medievalist, literary critic, essayist, lay theologian, broadcaster, lecturer, and Christian apologist
- Dr Carl Wieland - Australian Physician and author.
- Dr Russell Humphreys American Physicist
Atheists who converted to Hinduism
- Annie Besant - theosophist, orator and feminist
- John Dobson - became a believer in Vedanta – astronomer and telescope designer
- Sita Ram Goel - Indian commentator, writer and Hindu activist
- Revathi Thirunal Rama Varma Raja - titular head of Pandalam palace, considered to be the post of the father of Lord Ayyappan, and retired Government Servant. Was a devout Hindu until his early teens. Later became a strong atheist and a follower of Communist Party of India. But finally, he reverted to Hinduism in his old age. He says that it was a serious road accident which turned him to be a Hindu once again.
Atheists who became an unspecified/uncertain form of theism or deism
- Eben Alexander - neurosurgeon, author, teaching physician. Author of Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife.
- Plutarco Elías Calles former president of Mexico who was an atheist but became a spiritist later in life.
- Gabrielle Carey - Australian author of Puberty Blues who was raised atheist but converted to Catholicism and then explored other theologies.
- Antony Flew - philosopher and respected atheist thinker of the 20th century, became a deist.
- Moses Hess - Socialist philosopher and Left Hegelian who first influenced Karl Marx in his criticism of religion, but who later tried to combine the pantheism of Baruch Spinoza with Hegelianism.
- William Luther Pierce - American white supremacist and political activist who created Cosmotheism.
- Anne Rice - best-selling American author of Gothic and religious-themed books. She returned to Catholicism, and remained as such for many years, but has since announced that although she still believes in God and in Christ she no longer considers herself a Christian.
- J. Neil Schulman - Libertarian science fiction writer who states he met, or experienced, God and that this ended his atheism. The first such experience would have occurred when he was 35. That stated he remains skeptical of "the church" and does not belong to any religion.
- Dave Sim - comics writer and anti-feminist. He converted to, or created, his own mixture of Abrahamic religions.
- Ted Turner - media mogul who stated that he is no longer an atheist or an agnostic. He has not embraced any specific religion.
- Mark Zuckerberg - Facebook founder and philanthropist.
Agnostics who converted to Christianity
Agnostics who converted to Judaism
- Christian B. Anfinsen - Nobel prize-winning chemist who converted from "orthodox agnosticism" to Orthodox Judaism.
Agnostics who converted to Islam
- Silma Ihram - Australian Educator. Born to Agnostic Family. Convert to Christianity then to Islam.
- List of atheists
- List of converts to nontheism
- List of former Jews
- List of former Muslims
- List of former Protestants
- List of former Roman Catholics
- List of former Latter Day Saints
- List of former Christians
- "Media Lab Faculty Biography". MIT Media Lab. Retrieved 2008-05-05.
- Kerstetter, Jim (February 2, 2013). "Building better Super Bowl ads by watching you watch them". CNET. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- Alexis Carrel, The Voyage to Lourdes (New York, Harper & Row, 1939).
- "1994 Gold Medallion Book Awards Winners – Missions/Evangelism". Archived from the original on November 2, 2007. Retrieved 2008-10-28.. ecpa.org
- Smith, Lisa (September 12, 2007). "Author digs deeper to defend Christianity". Daily Herald. Archived from the original on September 22, 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-05.
- O'Neil, Patrick M. (2004) Great world writers: 20th century, p. 1400. Marshall Cavendish, ISBN 0-7614-7478-1
- Haven, Cynthia L., "'A Sacred Vision': An Interview with Czesław Miłosz", in Haven, Cynthia L. (ed.), Czesław Miłosz: Conversations. University Press of Mississippi, 2006, p. 145.
- Besant, Annie. The Building of the Kosmos and Other Lectures: Delivered at the Eighteenth. The Path, 1894.
- "John Dobson: Amateur Astronomy's Revolutionary". space.com. Archived from the original on 2006-04-09.
- Wall Street Journal Article about John
- Goel, Sita Ram, "How I became a Hindu" Archived 2007-09-30 at the Wayback Machine.
- ABC Australia.
- The Australian
- BBC Interview Quote: "What I was converted to was the existence of an Aristotelian God, and Aristotle's God had no interest in human affairs at all."
- Moses Hess: The Holy History of Mankind and other writings
- Morris, Travis (2016-12-14). Dark Ideas: How Neo-Nazi and Violent Jihadi Ideologues Shaped Modern Terrorism. Lexington Books. ISBN 9780739191057.
- Christianity Today
- LA Times
- Baltimore Sun: My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been or might become.
- Interview with Schulman: "After a thorough analysis of my previous life's experiences, and later experiences that lent validation, I concluded that the reality was that what had happened to me were really encounters with God -- therefore proving God's existence to me."
- Village Voice Archived 2008-06-13 at the Wayback Machine.
- Sun Comics
- "Ted Turner apologizes, joins churches' $200M malaria fight". USA Today. Associated Press. 2008-04-01. Retrieved 2009-10-27.
- Julie Zauzmer (December 30, 2016). "Mark Zuckerberg says he's no longer an atheist, believes 'religion is very important'". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 30, 2016.
- Norwegian Women's Writing 1850–1990 by Janet Garton, Page 125
- Profile of Anfinsen