List of former atheists and agnostics
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with List of atheists.
For lists of atheists who converted to Christianity, Islam, or Judaism see the following links:
- List of converts to Christianity from nontheism
- List of converts to Islam from nontheism
- List of converts to Judaism from Atheism
All other former atheists and agnostics that have been listed so far are below.
- 1 Former atheists
- 2 Former agnostics
- 3 See also
- 4 References
Atheists who converted to Christianity
- Alexis Carrel - French surgeon and biologist who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1912.
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - Russian novelist, historian. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1970.
- Vladimir Putin - Current President of the Russian Federation.
- Czesław Miłosz - poet, prose writer, translator and diplomat. He was awarded the Neustadt International Prize for Literature, and in 1980 the Nobel Prize in Literature.
- Eben Alexander - neurosurgeon, author, teaching physician. Author of Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife.
- C. S. Lewis Oxford Scholar http://cslewis.drzeus.net/bio/ and 'Surprised by Joy: The shape of my life' Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 1966
- Dr David Catchpoole, B.Ag.Sc. (Hons), Ph.D. Plant Physiologist http://creation.com/david-catchpoole-cv
- Dr Emil Silvestru Geologist/karstologist Ph.D in geology at the ‘Babes-Bolyai’ University in Cluj, Romania http://creation.com/following-darwin-an-interview-with-dr-emil-silvestru
- Richard Peachey, B.Th., B.Sc. Richard Peachey http://creation.com/richard-peachey
- Dr Carl Wieland M.B., B.S http://creation.com/carl-wieland-retires
- Dr Russell Humphreys Physicist B.S., Duke University, Durham, NC, 1963, Ph.D., Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, 1972 Beginning in 1979 he worked for Sandia National Laboratories (New Mexico) in nuclear physics, geophysics, pulsed-power research, and theoretical atomic and nuclear physics. In 1985, he began working with Sandia’s ‘Particle Beam Fusion Project’, and was co-inventor of special laser-triggered ‘Rimfire’ high-voltage switches, now coming into wider use. The last decade at Sandia saw greater emphasis on theoretical nuclear physics and radiation hydrodynamics in an effort to help produce the world’s first lab–scale thermonuclear fusion. Besides gaining two other U.S. patents, Dr Humphreys has been given two awards from Sandia, including an Award for Excellence for contributions to light ion–fusion target theory. http://creation.com/d-russell-humphreys-cv
Atheists who converted to Hinduism
- Annie Besant – Theosophist, orator and feminist
- John Dobson became a believer in Vedanta – astronomer and telescope designer
- Sita Ram Goel – Indian commentator, writer and Hindu activist
- Revathi Thirunal Rama Varma Raja - The titular head of Pandalam palace, considered to be the post of the father of Lord Ayyappan, and retired Government Servant. Was a devout Hindu until his early teens. Later became a strong atheist and a follower of Communist Party. But finally, he reverted to Hinduism in his old age. He says that it was a serious accident which turned him to be a Hindu.
Atheists who became an unspecified/uncertain form of theism or deism
- Plutarco Elías Calles former president of Mexico who was an atheist but became a spiritism later in life.
- Gabrielle Carey - Australian author of Puberty Blues who was raised atheist but converted to Catholicism and then explored other theologies.
- Antony Flew - Philosopher and respected atheist thinker of the 20th century, became a deist.
- Moses Hess - Socialist philosopher and Left Hegelian who first influenced Karl Marx in his criticism of religion, but who later tried to combine the pantheism of Baruch Spinoza with Hegelianism.
- Anne Rice - Best-selling American author of Gothic and religious-themed books. She returned to Catholicism, and remained as such for many years, but has since announced that although she still believes in God and in Christ she no longer considers herself a Christian.
- J. Neil Schulman - Libertarian science fiction writer who states he met, or experienced, God and that this ended his atheism. The first such experience would have occurred when he was 35. That stated he remains skeptical of "the church" and does not belong to any religion.
- Dave Sim - Comics writer and anti-feminist. He converted to, or created, his own mixture of Abrahamic religions.
- Ted Turner - Media mogul who stated that he is no longer an atheist or an agnostic. He has not embraced any specific religion.
- Sir Fred Hoyle - mathematician and astronomer. http://creation.com/big-bang-critic-dies-fred-hoyle
Agnostics who converted to Christianity
Agnostics who converted to Judaism
- Christian B. Anfinsen, Nobel prize-winning chemist who converted from "orthodox agnosticism" to Orthodox Judaism.
- List of atheists
- List of converts to nontheism
- List of former Jews
- List of former Muslims
- List of former Protestants
- List of former Roman Catholics
- List of former Latter Day Saints
- List of former Christians
- Alexis Carrel, The Voyage to Lourdes (New York, Harper & Row, 1939).
- O'Neil, Patrick M. (2004) Great world writers: 20th century, p. 1400. Marshall Cavendish, ISBN 0-7614-7478-1
- Haven, Cynthia L., "'A Sacred Vision': An Interview with Czesław Miłosz", in Haven, Cynthia L. (ed.), Czesław Miłosz: Conversations. University Press of Mississippi, 2006, p. 145.
- Besant, Annie. The Building of the Kosmos and Other Lectures: Delivered at the Eighteenth. The Path, 1894.
- "John Dobson: Amateur Astronomy's Revolutionary". space.com.
- Wall Street Journal Article about John
- Goel, Sita Ram, "How I became a Hindu"
- ABC Australia.
- The Australian
- BBC Interview Quote: "What I was converted to was the existence of an Aristotelian God, and Aristotle's God had no interest in human affairs at all."
- Moses Hess: The Holy History of Mankind and other writings
- Christianity Today
- LA Times
- Baltimore Sun: My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been or might become.
- Interview with Schulman: "After a thorough analysis of my previous life's experiences, and later experiences that lent validation, I concluded that the reality was that what had happened to me were really encounters with God -- therefore proving God's existence to me."
- Village Voice
- Sun Comics
- "Ted Turner apologizes, joins churches' $200M malaria fight". USA Today (Associated Press). 2008-04-01. Retrieved 2009-10-27.
- Norwegian Women's Writing 1850–1990 by Janet Garton, Page 125
- Profile of Anfinsen