List of forms of racing
List of different forms of racing.
Running is defined in sporting terms as a gait in which at some point all feet are off the ground at the same time. This is in contrast to walking, where one foot is always in contact with the ground. The term running can refer to any of a variety of speeds ranging from jogging to sprinting. Competitive running grew out of religious festivals in various areas. The origins of the Olympics are shrouded in myth, though the first recorded game took place in 776 BCE. In Gaelic Ireland the Tailteann Games, which featured footraces, are attested from the 6th century CE; medieval chroniclers gave founding dates as early as 1829 BCE.
Orienteering sports combine navigation with a specific method of travel.
- Foot orienteering, navigation using a map and compass while running across unfamiliar terrain along a course with control points.
- Mountain bike orienteering
- Ski orienteering
- Trail orienteering
- Radio orienteering, combines radio direction finding with orienteering skills. Other variations are Fox Oring and Radio Orienteering in a Compact Area.
- Canoe orienteering
- Mounted orienteering
- Rogaining, cross-country navigation between checkpoints in free order within a time frame.
- SportLabyrinth - micro orienteering
- Mountain marathon, mountain navigation while running off road over upland country.
- Car orienteering
- Racewalking, a long-distance athletic event where one foot must be in contact with the ground at all times.
- Track cycling, such as a Points race
- Road bicycle racing, such as the Tour de France
- Mountain biking, where a bicycle is ridden off-road
- BMX (Bicycle Motocross)
- Bull racing (or Buffalo racing)
- Camel racing
- Greyhound racing
- Horse racing, see also United Kingdom horse-racing and Equestrianism
- Karapan sapi
- Lobster Racing
- Ostrich racing
- Pigeon racing
- Pig racing
- Sled dog racing, such as the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race
- Snail racing
- Turtle Racing
- Zebra Racing
- All-terrain vehicle
- Auto racing (also known as automobile racing or autosport)
- Kart racing
- Lawnmower racing
- Motorcycle racing
- Snowmobile racing
- Motorboat racing
- Model racing
- Canoe racing
- Drag boat racing
- Dragon boat racing
- Hydroplane racing
- Jet sprint boat racing
- Offshore powerboat racing
- Outrigger Canoe racing
- Yacht racing
Some races involve multiple modes of transport:
Other races may involve board or video games:
- The Ancient Olympics - Google Books. books.google.com. Retrieved 2010-06-26.