List of fortifications in Serbia
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Part of a series on the|
This is a list of fortifications in Serbia. The list includes remains (ruins) of military constructions; fortresses (tvrđave), castles (zamci), towers (kule), etc. There are over 30 preserved forts in Serbia, and more than hundreds of sites with remains of old fortifications. Forts in Serbia are preserved from the Roman, Byzantine, medieval Serbian and post-Ottoman eras. The majority of forts have been renovated throughout history with changing rule and adaptations to war technology development. Many forts are foundations of modern towns and cities, such as the Belgrade Fortress. Later, Western, Habsburg and Austro-Hungarian architecture exists in Vojvodina; Bač castle, Vršac. The fortified monasteries of Mileševa, Manasija and Ravanica served as protection to locals during harsh times.
- ^[a] Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Kosovo and the Republic of Serbia. The Republic of Kosovo unilaterally declared independence on 17 February 2008, but Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. The two governments began to normalise relations in 2013, as part of the Brussels Agreement. Kosovo has received formal recognition as an independent state from 111 out of 193 United Nations member states.
- Deroko, Aleksandar (1950). Srednjevekovni gradovi u Srbiji. Prosveta.
- Deroko, Aleksandar (1964). Srednjovekovni gradovi na Dunavu. Turistička štampa.
- Janićijević, Jovan (1998). The cultural treasury of Serbia. IDEA.
- Mišić, Siniša (2010). Лексикон градова и тргова средњовековних српских земаља: према писаним изворима. Завод за уџбенике. ISBN 978-86-17-16604-3.
- Zdravković, Ivan M. (1970). Srednjovekovni gradovi u Srbiji. Turistička štampa.
- Zdravković, Ivan M. (1970). Srednjovekovni gradovi i dvorci na Kosovu u Srbiji. Turistička štampa.