List of free-trade zones in Dubai
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Free-trade zones (FTZs) are special economic zones set up with the objective of offering tax concessions and customs duty benefits to expatriate investors. There are more than 30 Free Zones operating in Dubai. FTZs in Dubai and the UAE are governed pursuant to a special framework of rules and regulations. A Free Zone Authority offers business licenses to foreign-owned businesses. Each Free Zone is designed around one or more industry categories and only offers licenses (e.g. for a Free Zone Enterprise (FZE)), to companies within those categories. Most of the free zones in Dubai broadly offer trading, services, and industrial licenses to investors looking to set up their businesses.
Free zones in Dubai are managed and operated by the relevant authority. For instance, the Jebel Ali Free Zone Authority in Dubai is responsible for managing, operating and supervising the Jebel Ali Free Zone, one of the largest sea port free zones in Dubai. It has a subsidized rate of 32 percent on the country’s Foreign Direct Investment (FDI). As for other Free Zones in Dubai, the Dubai Multi Commodities Centre (DMCC) has 7,330 active registered companies (as per 2013), offers a retention rate of 94 percent, and estimates an application of over 200 companies every year. the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) is another jurisdiction demonstrating the growth of expansion. It contributes 12 percent to the GDP of Dubai and has an estimated a growth rate of 27 percent (as per 2015). The authorities speculate that the region will triple in size by 2024. Others include the Dubai Airport Freezone (DAFZA; the Dubai internet City; and the Dubai Media city.
There are more than 30 Free Zones operating in Dubai.
- Dubai Airport Free Zone
- Dubai Design District
- Dubai Healthcare City
- Dubai International Academic City
- Dubai Internet City
- Dubai International Financial Centre
- Dubai Knowledge Village
- Dubai Media City
- Dubai Gold and Diamond Park
- Dubai Multi Commodities Centre (DMCC)
- Dubai Silicon Oasis (DSO)
- International Media Production Zone
- Jebel Ali Free Zone
- Dubai Production City
- Dubai World Central (Dubai South)
- Dubai Studio City
- Sambidge, Andy. "Dubai's DMCC becomes UAE's largest free zone". Arabian Business. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- Deulgaonkar, Parag. "12% of Dubai GDP from DIFC". Emirates 247.
- "Dubai International Financial Centre Set to Triple in Size by 2024, as Part of Centre's Newly Announced 2024 Strategy". Dubai International Financial Centre. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Dubai Free Zone Development and Bids to Attract Foreign Investors". Shuraa Business Setup. Retrieved 11 August 2016.