List of freedom indices
This article contains a list of freedom indices produced by several non-governmental organizations that publish and maintain assessments of the state of freedom in the world, according to their own various definitions of the term, and rank countries as being free, partly free, or unfree using various measures of freedom, including civil liberties, political rights and economic rights.
- The Human Freedom Index presents the state of human freedom in the world based on a broad measure that encompasses personal, civil, and economic freedom. The index published here presents a broad measure of human freedom, understood as the absence of coercive constraint. It uses 76 distinct indicators of personal and economic freedom. The Human Freedom Index was created in 2015, covering 152 countries for years 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. In January 2016 data for 2013 was added. The report is co-published by the Cato Institute, the Fraser Institute, and the Liberales Institut at the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom.
- The CIRI Human Rights Data Project measures a range of human, civil, women's, and workers' rights. It was created in 1994 and is now hosted by the University of Connecticut. In its 2011 report, the U.S. was ranked 38th in overall human rights.
- The Democracy Index, published by the U.K.-based Economist Intelligence Unit, is an assessment of countries' democracy. Countries are rated to be either Full Democracies, Flawed Democracies, Hybrid Regimes, or Authoritarian regimes. Full democracies, flawed democracies, and hybrid regimes are considered to be democracies, and the authoritarian nations are considered to be dictatorial. The index is based on 60 indicators grouped in five different categories measuring pluralism, civil liberties, and political culture.
- The Economic Freedom of the World Index is a report published by Canada-based Fraser Institute in conjunction with the Economic Freedom Network, a group of independent research and educational institutes in 90 nations and territories worldwide. It is a numeric index, and its results are not currently included in the table below.
- Freedom in the World, published each year since 1972 by the U.S.-based Freedom House, ranks countries by political rights and civil liberties that are derived in large measure from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Countries are assessed as free, partly free, or unfree.
- Freedom of the Press is a report published each year since 1980 by Freedom House.
- The Index of Economic Freedom is an annual report published by The Wall Street Journal and the U.S.-based Heritage Foundation. Countries are assessed as free, mostly free, moderately free, mostly unfree, and repressed.
- The Index of Freedom in the World is an index measuring classical civil liberties published by Canada's Fraser Institute, Germany's Liberales Institute, and the U.S. Cato Institute. It is not currently included in the table below.
- MaxRange, developed by Max Rånge, and maintained by Mikael Sandberg and Max Rånge, political scientists at Halmstad University, Sweden, is a data set defining a country's level of democracy and institutional structure (regime-type) on a 1000-point graded scale. Values are sorted based on level of democracy and political accountability. MaxRange defines the value corresponding to all states every month from 1789 to the present.
- The U.S.-based Polity data series is a widely used data series in political science research. It contains coded annual information on regime authority characteristics and transitions for all independent states with total populations greater than 500,000 and covers the years 1800–2006. Polity's conclusions about a state's level of democracy are based on an evaluation of that state's elections for competitiveness, openness, and level of participation. Data from this series is not currently included in the table below. The Polity work is sponsored by the Political Instability Task Force (PITF) which is funded by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency; however, the views expressed in the reports are the authors' alone and do not represent the views of the U.S. Government.
- Worldwide Press Freedom Index, is published each year since 2002 (except that 2011 was combined with 2012) by France-based Reporters Without Borders. Countries are assessed as having a good situation, a satisfactory situation, noticeable problems, a difficult situation, or a very serious situation.
- The World Index of Moral Freedom was first published on April 2, 2016 by the Foundation for the Advancement of Liberty, based in Madrid, Spain. This index ranks 160 countries by five categories of indicators: religious freedom, bioethical freedom, drugs freedom, sexuality freedom and family and gender freedom. The index aims at establishing the degree of individual freedom or state control on decisions pertaining to the great moral debates of our time.
Here is a table of the assessments by three indices, for most countries of the world. For exact rankings rather than assessments, refer to the individual index articles.
Country ratings from Freedom House's Freedom in the World 2016 survey, concerning the state of world freedom in 2015.
2016 Press Freedom Index.
Very serious situation
Not classified / No data
Source: Reporters Without Borders ]]
|Freedom in the World||free||partly free||not free|
|Index of Economic Freedom||free||mostly free||moderately free||mostly unfree||repressed|
|Press Freedom Index||good situation||satisfactory situation||noticeable problems||difficult situation||very serious situation|
List by country
|Country||Freedom in the World 2016||2016 Index of Economic Freedom||2016 Press Freedom Index|
|Afghanistan||not free||n/a||difficult situation|
|Albania||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Algeria||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Angola||not free||repressed||difficult situation|
|Antigua and Barbuda||free||n/a||satisfactory situation|
|Armenia||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Austria||free||mostly free||good situation|
|Azerbaijan||not free||moderately free||very serious situation|
|Bahamas||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation|
|Bahrain||not free||mostly free||difficult situation|
|Bangladesh||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Barbados||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Belarus||not free||repressed||difficult situation|
|Belgium||free||moderately free||good situation|
|Belize||free||mostly unfree||satisfactory situation|
|Benin||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Bhutan||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Bolivia||partly free||repressed||noticeable problems|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Botswana||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation|
|Brazil||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|British Virgin Islands||n/a||n/a||satisfactory situation|
|Brunei||not free||moderately free||difficult situation|
|Bulgaria||free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Burkina Faso||partly free||mostly unfree||satisfactory situation|
|Burma||not free||repressed||difficult situation|
|Burundi||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Cambodia||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Cameroon||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Canada||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation|
|Cape Verde||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Central African Republic||not free||repressed||noticeable problems|
|Chad||not free||repressed||difficult situation|
|Chile||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation|
|China||not free||mostly unfree||very serious situation|
|Colombia||partly free||mostly free||difficult situation|
|Comoros||partly free||mostly unfree||satisfactory situation|
|Costa Rica||free||moderately free||good situation|
|Congo, Democratic Republic of the||not free||repressed||difficult situation|
|Congo, Republic of the||not free||repressed||difficult situation|
|Croatia||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Cuba||not free||repressed||very serious situation|
|Cyprus||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Czech Republic||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation|
|Denmark||free||mostly free||good situation|
|Djibouti||not free||mostly unfree||very serious situation|
|Dominica||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Dominican Republic||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|East Timor||partly free||repressed||noticeable problems|
|Ecuador||partly free||repressed||noticeable problems|
|Egypt||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|El Salvador||free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Equatorial Guinea||not free||repressed||very serious situation|
|Eritrea||not free||repressed||very serious situation|
|Estonia||free||mostly free||good situation|
|Ethiopia||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Fiji||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Finland||free||mostly free||good situation|
|France||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|French Guiana||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Gabon||not free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Gambia||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Gaza Strip||not free||n/a||difficult situation|
|Georgia||partly free||mostly free||noticeable problems|
|Germany||free||mostly free||good situation|
|Ghana||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Greece||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Guatemala||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation|
|Guinea||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Guinea-Bissau||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Guyana||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Haiti||partly free||mostly unfree||satisfactory situation|
|Honduras||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Hong Kong||partly free||free||noticeable problems|
|Hungary||free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Iceland||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation|
|India||free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Indonesia||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Iran||not free||repressed||very serious situation|
|Iraq||not free||n/a||difficult situation|
|Ireland||free||mostly free||good situation|
|Israel||free||mostly free||noticeable problems|
|Italy||free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Ivory Coast||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Jamaica||free||moderately free||good situation|
|Japan||free||mostly free||noticeable problems|
|Jordan||not free||moderately free||difficult situation|
|Kazakhstan||not free||moderately free||difficult situation|
|Kenya||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Korea, North||not free||repressed||very serious situation|
|Korea, South||free||mostly free||noticeable problems|
|Kosovo||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Kuwait||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Kyrgyzstan||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Laos||not free||repressed||very serious situation|
|Latvia||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation|
|Lebanon||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Lesotho||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Liberia||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Libya||not free||n/a||very serious situation|
|Lithuania||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation|
|Luxembourg||free||mostly free||good situation|
|Macedonia||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation|
|Madagascar||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Malawi||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Malaysia||partly free||mostly free||difficult situation|
|Maldives||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Mali||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Malta||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Mauritania||not free||mostly unfree||satisfactory situation|
|Mauritius||free||mostly free||noticeable problems|
|Mexico||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation|
|Micronesia, Federated States of||free||mostly unfree||n/a|
|Moldova||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Mongolia||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Montenegro||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Morocco||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation|
|Mozambique||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Namibia||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Nepal||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Netherlands||free||mostly free||good situation|
|New Zealand||free||free||good situation|
|Nicaragua||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Niger||partly free||mostly unfree||satisfactory situation|
|Nigeria||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Northern Cyprus||free||n/a||noticeable problems|
|Norway||free||mostly free||good situation|
|Oman||not free||moderately free||difficult situation|
|Pakistan||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Palestine||not free||n/a||difficult situation|
|Panama||free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Papua New Guinea||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Paraguay||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Peru||free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Philippines||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation|
|Poland||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Portugal||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Puerto Rico||free||n/a||satisfactory situation|
|Qatar||not free||mostly free||difficult situation|
|Romania||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Russia||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Rwanda||not free||moderately free||difficult situation|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||free||n/a||satisfactory situation|
|Saint Lucia||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Samoa||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|São Tomé and Príncipe||free||mostly unfree||n/a|
|Saudi Arabia||not free||moderately free||very serious situation|
|Senegal||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Serbia||free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Seychelles||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems|
|Sierra Leone||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Singapore||partly free||free||difficult situation|
|Slovakia||free||moderately free||good situation|
|Slovenia||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Solomon Islands||partly free||repressed||n/a|
|Somalia||not free||n/a||very serious situation|
|South Africa||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|South Ossetia||not free||n/a||n/a|
|South Sudan||not free||n/a||difficult situation|
|Spain||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Sri Lanka||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Sudan||not free||n/a||very serious situation|
|Suriname||free||mostly unfree||satisfactory situation|
|Swaziland||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Sweden||free||mostly free||good situation|
|Syria||not free||n/a||very serious situation|
|Taiwan||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation|
|Tajikistan||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Tanzania||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Thailand||not free||moderately free||difficult situation|
|Togo||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Tonga||free||mostly unfree||satisfactory situation|
|Trinidad and Tobago||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Tunisia||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Turkey||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation|
|Turkmenistan||not free||repressed||very serious situation|
|Uganda||not free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems|
|Ukraine||partly free||repressed||noticeable problems|
|United Arab Emirates||not free||mostly free||difficult situation|
|United Kingdom||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation|
|United States||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation|
|Uruguay||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation|
|Uzbekistan||not free||repressed||very serious situation|
|Venezuela||partly free||repressed||difficult situation|
|Vietnam||not free||mostly unfree||very serious situation|
|West Bank||not free||n/a||difficult situation|
|Western Sahara||not free||n/a||n/a|
|Yemen||not free||n/a||very serious situation|
|Zambia||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation|
|Zimbabwe||partly free||repressed||difficult situation|
- Areopagitica: A speech of Mr John Milton for the liberty of unlicensed printing to the Parliament of England
- Censorship by country
- Freedom House
- Freedom in the World
- Indices of economic freedom
- Internet censorship by country
- Media transparency
- Transparency (humanities)
- Transparency (market)
- United Nations Parliamentary Assembly
- Corruption Perceptions Index
- Ease of doing business index
Notes and references
- "Human Freedom Index". http://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index. Retrieved September 16, 2016. External link in
- "CIRI Human Rights Data Project". humanrightsdat.org. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- Michael Kirk (December 10, 2010). "Annual International Human Rights Ratings Announced". University of Connecticut.
- "HUMAN RIGHTS IN 2011: THE CIRI REPORT". CIRI Human Rights Data Project. August 29, 2013.
- "Democracy index 2012: Democracy at a standstill". Economist Intelligence Unit. 14 March 2013. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- Freedom in the World 2016, Freedom House, 25 January 2016. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
- Heritage Foundation (January 2016). "Country Rankings". 2016 Index of Economic Freedom.
- Craggs, Ryan (January 14, 2013). "World Freedom Index 2013: Canadian Fraser Institute Ranks Countries". Huffington Post.
- "MaxRange: Analyzing political regimes and democratization processes". Sweden: School of Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Halmstad University. April 30, 2015. Retrieved May 2, 2015.
- "Press Freedom Index 2016", Reporters Without Borders, January 2016.
- World Index of Moral Freedom 2016, published by the Foundation for the Advancement of Liberty
- Freedom House (January 28, 2016). Freedom in the World 2016 (PDF).
- Economic Freedom of the World. The Fraser Institute.
- Freedom in the World. Freedom House.
- Index of Economic Freedom. The Wall Street Journal.
- Internationale Medienhilfe (IMH). International organization for press freedom.(German)
- World Index of Moral Freedom. Foundation for the Advancement of Liberty.