List of games based on Conan the Barbarian
The Conan the Barbarian saga has appeared in a variety of forms in the gaming community from simple boardgames to high tech multiplayer online games. The intention of all these games is to immerse the player in the sword and sorcery world of Hyboria. Robert E. Howard created the original Conan story but he had no hand in creating various games other than they were based on his works.
- 1 Board Games
- 2 Role-playing games
- 3 Miniatures and Strategy Games
- 4 Video games
- 5 References
Collectible Card Game
Hyborian Gates is a collectible trading card game.
Age of Conan: The Strategy Board Game is a board game published by Fantasy Flight Games (2009)
Conan: Hyborian Quests (2015) is a board game with miniatures, to be published in 2015 by Monolith and Asmodee. One player contols the evil creatures (Necromancer, Picts, monsters) and the other players control Conan and his companions. The game will launch through Kickstarter in January 2015, and will release worldwide in August 2015.
Conan (D&D supplements)
During the height of the Conan movies, TSR created in 1984 two Conan adventures for their Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game. The game sold very poorly and in time was discontinued. The adventures ( called modules in the Dungeons & Dragons community) often found their way to the bargain bin and most hobby shops but are now often prized by collectors.
Conan Role-Playing Game
The Conan Role-Playing Game was published by TSR, Inc. in 1985. This boxed game was designed for players age 10 and up contained a full-color map, a 32 page will book, a 16 page reference guide and a 48 page notebook about the land of Hyboria plus two 10 sided dice. The series was very short-lived producing only three adventures each based on novels from the Conan series.
GURPS Conan for the GURPS roleplaying system was produced in 1989 by Steve Jackson Games. The other GURPS Conan books were GURPS solo adventures and started a year before, with GURPS Conan: Beyond Thunder River
- GURPS Conan: Beyond Thunder River (1988)
- GURPS Conan and the Queen of the Black Coast (1989)
- GURPS Conan: Moon of Blood (1989)
- GURPS Conan the Wyrmslayer (1989)
Conan: The Roleplaying Game
Conan: The Roleplaying Game, by Mongoose Publishing, is the current official role-playing game played by Conan devotees. The main game consists of a 352 pages rulebook (second edition was expanded to 424 pages) and various add-on adventures and sourcebooks (first and second editions).
- Conan: The Roleplaying Game (1st Edition, hardcover, 352 pages, January 2004)
- Conan: The Roleplaying Game (Atlantean Edition, hardcover, 352 pages, August 2004: second print of the 1st Edition)
- Conan: The Roleplaying Game (Pocket Edition, softcover, January 2005)
- Conan: The Roleplaying Game (2nd Edition, hardcover, 424 pages, September 2007)
- Across the Thunder River
- Adventures in the Hyborian Age (2nd Edition)
- Aquilonia - Flower of the West
- Argos and Zingara
- Bestiary of the Hyborian Age (2nd Edition)
- Betrayer of Asgard (2nd Edition)
- The Black Stones of Kovag-Re
- Catacombs of Hyboria (2nd Edition)
- Cimmeria (2nd Edition)
- Cities of Hyboria (2nd Edition)
- The Coming of Hanuman
- The Compendium
- Faith and Fervour
- The Free Companies
- Game Master's Screen
- The Heretics of Tarantia
- Hyboria's Fallen - Pirates, Thieves and Temptresses
- Hyboria's Fiercest - Barbarians, Borderers and Nomads
- Hyboria's Finest - Nobles, Scholars and Soldiers
- Khitai (2nd Edition)
- The Lurking Terror of Nahab
- Messantia - City of Riches
- The Pirate Isles
- Player's Guide to the Hyborian Age (2nd Edition)
- Reavers of the Vilayet
- Return to the Road of Kings (The Road of Kings 2nd Edition)
- The Road of Kings
- Ruins of Hyboria
- The Scrolls of Skelos
- The Secrets of Skelos (The Scrolls of Skelos 2nd Edition)
- Shadizar - City of Wickedness
- Shem - Gateway to the South
- Stygia - Serpent of the South
- Tales of the Black Kingdoms
- Tito's Trading Post
- The Tower of the Elephant
- Trial of Blood (2nd Edition)
- The Warrior's Companion (2nd Edition)
Miniatures and Strategy Games
In January 2015, a new Conan miniatures boardgame will be launched through Kickstarter. Conan:Hyborian Quests, published by a Monolith, is based on Robert E. Howard's short stories, and opposes one player controlling the evil forces to the heroes, played by 2 to 4 players, controlling Conan and his companions.
Conan: The Cimmerian
This version was released for MS-DOS in 1991 by Virgin Games, Inc.
A version of the game Myth: History in the Making programmed by System 3 was rebranded as "Conan" and released for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Published by Mindscape in 1990, this was a side scrolling game reminiscent of Castlevania.
A third person perspective action adventure developed by Cauldron Software and published by TDK in 2004, "Conan - The Dark Axe" was a lengthy tale that saw Conan visit and fight in nearly all parts of the Hyborian world. The game was based primarily on R. E. Howard's stories but also paid homage to John Milius's movie, as well as to some of the Conan tales written by Lin Carter and Lion Sprague de Camp.
For the Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStation 3. It was released in the US on October 23, 2007. Conan is a single player, third person perspective videogame. The game combines a range of traditional video game challenges with particularly brutal and satisfying game-play. Conan offers a good variety of weapons and combos to enable the player to pull off some amazing kills, sending limbs and heads flying everywhere. The game also features the voice-acting of Ron Perlman as the Mighty Barbarian.
Age of Conan: Unchained is a massively multiplayer online game created by Funcom that allows players from around the world to populate the world of Hyboria and even allow them to create their own cities. Opponents include everything from scorpions to forest crawlers including Conan's famous camel. Play modes include a single player option to learn you character alone, a multiplayer mode, which is similar to EverQuest and finally a player versus player siege mode. The Age of Conan
-  - Retrieved on 2012-09-17
- Age Of Conan: Fantasy Battle Game from Mongoose Publishing - June 1, 2006 - retrieved on January 25, 2007
- Nexus Editrice to publish the strategy board game - August 8, 2006 - retrieved on February 18, 2007