List of games using procedural generation
This is a list of video games that make at least partial use of procedural generation to create their maps and levels, or other similar features. By default, the table is sort chronologically, but the sorting factor may be selected by clicking on the small boxes next to the column headings.
|Banished||2014||Shining Rock Software||Terrain map.|
|Borderlands series||2009–2019||Gearbox Software, 2K Australia||Weapons.|
|Civilization series||1991–2018||MicroProse, Activision, Firaxis Games||Customizable flat world map.|
|Crypt of the NecroDancer||2015||Brace Yourself Games||2D grid-based top-down dungeons with halls and rooms with randomly placed enemies and items.|
|Descenders||2018||RageSquid||3D downhill courses on relatively dirt trails.|
|Don't Starve||2013||Klei Entertainment||Flat 2D world. Later expanded with cavern systems and oceans.|
|Dwarf Fortress||2006||Tarn Adams||Almost entirety of game content based in a layered 3D world with elements like its history, creatures and narrative, religion, etc.|
|Enter the Gungeon||2016||Dodge Roll||2D flat dungeon levels made of room "chunks".|
|Left 4 Dead 2||2009||Valve||Gameplay changes to match player's performance, such as enemies, paths, or weather.|
|Minecraft||2011||Mojang||3D world primarily made of cube blocks. Effectively infinite.|
|Minecraft Dungeons||2020||Mojang||Randomly-generated 3D dungeons filled with monsters, traps and puzzles, and treasures.|
|Mini Metro||2015||Dinosaur Polo Club||Abstract 2D levels and audio system.|
|No Man's Sky||2016||Hello Games||3D galaxies with planets and their flora and fauna.|
|Pixel Piracy||2015||Quadro Delta||2D world, including islands, towns and shops, as well as ship's crew.|
|RimWorld||2013 (EA)||Ludeon Studios||Customization 3D spherical world map and flat 2D gameplay map, as well as many elements, notably narrative and events.|
|Rogue Legacy||2011||Cellar Door Games||Side-scrolling castle, made up of interconnected rooms.|
|Sir, You Are Being Hunted||2014||Big Robot||An open world island landscape.|
|Spelunky||2008||Mossmouth||Side-scrolling underground rectangular levels made up of tiles.|
|Spore||2008||Maxis||3D creatures, tribes, civilizations, planets and terrain, spaceships and galaxies, music, award-winning animation system.|
|Starbound||2016||Chucklefish||2D side-scrolling planets and content on them, such as dungeons and bosses.|
|Stardew Valley||2016||ConcernedApe||Cave areas of increasing difficulty and loot.|
|Terraria||2011||Re-Logic||Side-scrolling rectangular 2D world.|
|The Binding of Isaac||2011||Edmund McMillen||Top-down 2D levels made up of interconnected rectangular rooms with random monsters and loot.|
- Fogel, Stefanie. "7 roguelikes that every developer should study". www.gamasutra.com. Retrieved 2019-06-16.
- Dean, Paul (28 February 2014). "Banished review". Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "How many weapons are in Borderlands 2?". eurogamer.net.
- Totilo, Stephen. "Civilization V Preview: Small Changes, Big Differences". kotaku.com.
- "Review: Crypt of the NecroDancer". Hardcore Gamer. 24 April 2015. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- Thursten, Chris (12 May 2015). "Crypt of the Necrodancer review". Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- Matulef, Jeffrey (10 July 2015). "Crypt of the NecroDancer to get jiggy on PS4 and Vita". Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- https://www.gamezebo.com/author/rob-rich, Rob Rich (6 July 2016). "Crypt of the NecroDancer Review: Disco Inferno". Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- Bowman, Mitch (2018-02-09). "Downhill biking game Descenders could be the heir to Skate's throne". PC Gamer. Retrieved 2019-05-04.
- "Wot I Think: Don't Starve". rockpapershotgun.com.
- "Don't Starve update adds caves and bunnies". pcgamer.com.
- "Don't Starve: Shipwrecked is a breath of fresh… Nope, that's a hurricane". pcgamer.com.
- "Dwarf Fortress' creator on how he's 42% towards simulating existence". pcgamer.com.
- "Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard". polygon.com.
- Weiner, Jonah. "The Brilliance of Dwarf Fortress". nytimes.com.
- "Generation Next, Part 2: How To Generate A Religion". rockpapershotgun.com.
- "Enter the Gungeon PC Review: A Fistful of Bullets". USgamer.net.
- Walker, John (1 June 2009). "Left 4 Dead 2: Exclusive RPS Hands-On Preview". Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "Here's how 'Minecraft' creates its gigantic worlds". engadget.com.
- "Just how big is a Minecraft world? Big, as it turns out". PCGamesN.
- "'Minecraft Dungeons' is a blocky, smash-and-slash adventure". Engadget. Retrieved 2019-06-11.
- Campbell, Colin (2019-06-10). "Minecraft Dungeons is simple, Diablo-inspired fun for the family". Polygon. Retrieved 2019-06-11.
- Curry, Peter. "Postmortem: Dinosaur Polo Club's Mini Metro". www.gamasutra.com. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "After two years, is No Man's Sky everything Hello Games originally promised?". gamesradar.com.
- Alexandra, Heather. "A Look At How No Man's Sky's Procedural Generation Works". kotaku.com.
- Boccher, Mike (21 January 2016). "Pirate simulator Pixel Piracy headed to Xbox One and PS4". Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "Pixel Piracy Review: What Shall We Do With The Drunken Sailor?". Player.One. 11 August 2014. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "RimWorld's huge Wanderlust update is world-changing". rockpapershotgun.com.
- Moser, Cassidee. "How RimWorld fleshes out the Dwarf Fortress formula". www.gamasutra.com. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "How RimWorld Generates Great Stories". rockpapershotgun.com.
- "The making of Rogue Legacy". eurogamer.net.
- Plunkett, Luke. "See How Spelunky Levels Are Made". kotaku.com.
- Garst, Aron. "Developing Spore : An oral ('Sporal'?) history 10 years on". www.gamasutra.com. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- Kohler, Chris (13 March 2008). "Designer Will Wright Walks Us Through Spore". Retrieved 23 January 2019 – via www.wired.com.
- IGN Staff (15 October 2008). "Spore Honored with 2008 Popular Mechanics Breakthrough Award". Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- Grayson, Nathan. "Starbound: The Kotaku Review". Kotaku. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- Sykes, Tom (18 December 2016). "Starbound's Vault update adds procedural dungeons, procedural bosses". Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "How did indie farming sim Stardew Valley top the Steam sales chart?". polygon.com.
- "Stardew Valley review". eurogamer.net.
- Mc Shea, Tim (May 31, 2011). "Terraria Review, Terraria PC Review".
- "The Binding of Isaac takes on religion in a randomly generated Zelda-styled Roguelike". arstechnica.com.