List of generating stations in Prince Edward Island
Prince Edward Island has eight power stations, and is the only Canadian province without an active hydroelectric power station (the last one ended commercial operation in the 1950s). The province is largely dependent on imported power from NB Power generation facilities in New Brunswick. Two submarine power lines provide more than 80% of the provincial load. Since the early 2000, the Island has promoted the province as an ideal location for developing wind farms.
Maritime Electric, a subsidiary of St. John's-based Fortis Inc., operates the integrated public utility serving most of the province, with the exception of the City of Summerside which has had a municipal electric utility in operation since 1920; the City of Summerside Electric Utility purchases power from sources such as NB Power that is transmitted to the city through Maritime Electric's network. Both utilities own and operate generating stations (mostly diesel but the largest operated by Maritime Electric uses heavy fuel oil); these plants are used as peakers or during emergencies.
List of all wind farms in Prince Edward Island.
|Eastern Kings Wind Farm||30||North Lake||PEI Energy Corporation||Wind|||
|North Cape Wind Farm||10.6||North Cape||PEI Energy Corporation||Wind|||
|Norway Wind Farm||9||Norway||Suez Renewable Energy||Wind|||
|Summerside Wind Farm||12||Summerside||City of Summerside Electric Utility||Wind|||
|West Cape Wind Farm||99||West Cape||Suez Renewable Energy||Wind|||
|Borden Generating Station||42||Borden||Maritime Electric||Diesel|||
|Charlottetown Thermal Generating Station||112||Charlottetown||Maritime Electric||Fuel oil|||
|Harvard Street Generating Station||25||Summerside||City of Summerside Electric Utility||Diesel|||
Notes and references
- Government of Prince Edward Island (29 January 2007), Eastern Kings Wind Farm Begins Commercial Operation, Department of Environment, Energy and Forestry, retrieved 2010-08-22
- Government of Prince Edward Island, North Cape Wind Farm, Department of Environment, Energy and Forestry, retrieved 2010-08-22
- GDF Suez North America (March 2010), West Cape & Norway Wind Farms (PDF), retrieved 2010-08-22
- CanWEA, Summerside Wind Project, retrieved 2010-08-22
- Maritime Electric, Our Island Electricity, retrieved 2010-08-22
- City of Summerside, Annual Report 2008 (PDF), retrieved 2010-08-30