List of ghost towns in Alberta
The province of Alberta has several ghost towns that have been completely or partially abandoned. Many of Alberta's ghost towns exist as a result of a number of failed coal mining operations in the area during the early 20th century.
Ghost towns are towns that once had a considerable population, that have since dwindled in numbers causing some or all its business to close, either due to the rerouting of a highway, train tracks being pulled, or exhaustion of some natural resource.
List of ghost towns
- List of census divisions of Alberta
- List of communities in Alberta
- List of ghost towns in Canada
- List of hamlets in Alberta
- List of Indian reserves in Alberta
- List of municipal districts in Alberta
- List of municipalities in Alberta
- List of towns in Alberta
- List of villages in Alberta
- Ghost towns in Canada. "Alberta Ghost Towns". Archived from the original on 24 October 2007. Retrieved 30 October 2007.
- Morgan, O. 1948. Bighorn and Saunders. Western Miner, vol. 21, no. 8, p. 96.
- "Crag & Canyon 24 June 1922 / Mine Closed Permanently". Ourfutureourpast.ca. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- Census of Canada, 1921. Dominion Bureau of Statistics. 1921.
- Statistics Canada (2007). "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and designated places, 2006 and 2001 censuses". Retrieved 11 October 2010.
- "Population Data 1915" (PDF). Alberta Municipal Affairs. 1915. Retrieved 6 July 2011.
- Roads to Rose Lynn: Rose Lynn Book Club (1978). Roads to Rose Lynn.
- Roads to Rose Lynn: Rose Lynn Book Club (1978). Roads to Rose Lynn. p. 445.
- Fencelines and Furrows History Book Society (1971). Fencelines and Furrows. p. 35.
- Shaw, Keith (1978). Chief mountain country : a history of Cardston and district. Volume I. Cardston, Alberta: Cardston and District Historical Society. p. 63. ISBN 0-919213-89-8.
- "Population Data 1913" (PDF). Alberta Municipal Affairs. 1913. Retrieved 6 July 2011.
- "Population Data 1916" (PDF). Alberta Municipal Affairs. 1916. Retrieved 6 July 2011.
- Whitecourt Web (which summarized from Sagitawah Saga by Doreen Olecko, along with other source works). "Oil & Gas – 1950 to 1960s". Retrieved 10 October 2010.
- 1961 Census of Canada, Series SP, Population – Unincorporated Villages, Bulletin SP–4. Dominion Bureau of Statistics. 1961.
- Ghost towns. Alberta ghost towns