List of ghost towns in Colorado
This is an incomplete list of ghost towns in Colorado, a state of the United States. Colorado has over 1,500 ghost towns. Currently only about 640 remain. Due to incomplete records and legends that are now accepted as fact, no list will ever be complete. Ghost towns are predominantly of few reasons: mining towns, abandoned when the mines closed; many due to the devaluation of silver in 1893, mill towns that were abandoned when the mining towns closed, farming towns on the eastern plains deserted due to rural depopulation, coal towns abandoned when the coal, or need for it ran out, stage stops abandoned when the railroad came through, and the rail stops that were deserted when then railroad changed routes or abandoned the spurs. Some were resort towns which never brought in enough tourists. One or two were caused by the creation of reservoirs, or covered in mining tailings, as noted below. Of the list below, some involve settlements with visible tangible remains such as structures or cemeteries, while the precise location of others is known only through maps and historic accounts.
The ghost towns are listed sortable by town or county:
- List of ghost towns in the United States
- State of Colorado
- Writers' Program of the Work Projects Administration in the State of Colorado (1947). Ghost towns of Colorado. Hastings House.
- Bauer, Carolyn (1987). Colorado Ghost Towns: Remnants of the Mining Days. Primer Publishers. ISBN 1-55838-067-1.
- Boyd, Leanne; H. Glenn Carson (1984). Atlas of Colorado Ghost Towns. Carson Enterprises. ISBN 0-941620-19-0.
- Brown, Robert (1972). Colorado Ghost Towns - Past and Present. Caxton Press. ISBN 0-87004-218-1.
- Brown, Robert (2003). Ghost Towns of the Colorado Rockies. Caxton Press. ISBN 0-87004-342-0.
- Brown, Robert (1963). Jeep Trails to Colorado Ghost Towns. Caxton Press. ISBN 0-87004-021-9.
- Dallas, Sandra (1988). Colorado Ghost Towns and Mining Camps. Norman, Oklahoma: University of Oklahoma Press. ISBN 0-8061-2084-3.
- Eberhart, Perry (1959). Guide to the Colorado Ghost Towns and Mining Camps.