List of films featuring giant monsters
This is an alphabetical list of films featuring giant monsters, known in Japan as kaiju. One of the first films involving giant monsters was the 1933 classic King Kong, as developments in cinema and animation enabled the creation of realistic giant creatures. The film influenced many giant-monster films in its wake, including many produced in Japan, starting with the adaptation Wasei Kingu Kongu in 1933, which is now considered to be a lost film. The visual effects in King Kong, created by Willis O'Brien, inspired future monster film effects artists such as Ray Harryhausen and Dennis Muren. Early giant-monster films often had themes of adventure and exploration of unknown regions, and incorporated fights with giant monsters as a climactic element.
The development of atomic weaponry in the 1940s gave rise to its involvement in popular themes. The 1953 American film The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms featured a giant dinosaur that awakens due to nuclear tests in the Arctic.:42 The 1954 film Them! involved giant irradiated ants. Later in 1954, the Japanese film Godzilla was released. This was followed by an ongoing trend of giant reptiles created by nuclear radiation. Japan continued with a giant moth in Mothra, a turtle in Gamera, and many more that followed. Other countries have their own giant monster movies such as the United Kingdom with Gorgo in 1961.
Films featuring Godzilla and Gamera were made into the 1970s, and a King Kong remake was released in 1976. Awareness of toxic waste in the 1970s inspired the release of various horror films, and the giant monster subgenre saw the release of 1971's Godzilla vs. Hedorah. Godzilla received a 1998 remake by TriStar Pictures, and King Kong received a 2005 remake by Universal Pictures. 2008 saw the release of the successful Cloverfield, which some critics have claimed inspiration from the September 11 attacks. Pacific Rim, a film featuring giant mecha battling with kaiju, was released in 2013, and the following year Legendary reinterpreted Godzilla for a new generation of audiences in the series' 30th film. The latest entry in the Godzilla series, Shin Godzilla, premiered in Japan in July 2015. A reboot of King Kong known as Kong: Skull Island is scheduled for release in March 2017.
List of films
- 高槻真樹 (Maki Takatsuki). 戦前日本ＳＦ映画創世記 ゴジラは何でできているか (Senzen Nihon SF Eiga Souseiki). 河出書房新社 (Kawadeshobo Shinsha publishing). 2014. Pgs.79-82.
- Gilles Penso (director) (2011). Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan (Documentary film). France: Frenetic Arts, The Ray & Diana Harryhausen Foundation.
- Jones, Stephen (1993). The illustrated dinosaur movie guide (1st Titan ed.). London: Titan Books. ISBN 978-1852864873.
- Newitz, Annalee (6 February 2008). "How Pollution Created the Creepiest Movie Mutants". io9. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- Roger Ebert (January 17, 2008). "Review: Cloverfield". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2008-01-18.
- Stephanie Zacharek (January 17, 2008). "Cloverfield". Salon.com. Retrieved 2008-01-18.
- Newitz, Annalee (Jan 18, 2008). "Nevermind the Monster — Cloverfield Is All About 9/11". io9. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
- "Theater List" (in Japanese). Toho. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Warner Bros. Pictures Brings Heroes, Magic and Myth to This Year's Comic-Con International: San Diego". 11 July 2016.
- Timpone, Tony (May 15, 2014). "13 Best Giant Monster Movies". Chiller. NBCUniversal. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- Bellotto 2015
- "Godzilla Movie Listing". Toho Kingdom. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- Landis 2011, p. 18
- Waldman, Katy (January 2013). "The Nuclear Monsters That Terrorized the 1950s". Slate. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Berry 2005
- Warren, Keep Watching the Skies! American Science Fiction Movies of the Fifties, 1997, p. 325-326.
- Taylor, Drew (16 October 2013). "Review: 'Big Ass Spider' Starring Greg Grunberg Is An Oddly Satisfying B-Movie Romp". IndieWire. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- Foy, Scott (24 March 2008). "Rock Monster (2008)". Dread Central. Retrieved 6 August 2016.
- "Gammera the Invincible (1965) - Noriyaki Yuasa - Synopsis". AllMovie. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- Mark, Jon (2016). "Is 2016 the Year that 'Godzilla Resurgence' and Gamera Battle it Out at the Box Office?". Inquisitr. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- Gallagher, Brian (March 2016). "Is Ghostbusters Bringing Back the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man?". MovieWeb. Retrieved 6 August 2016.
- Eggertsen, Chris (4 March 2010). "Not So Scary... Top Ten Worst Movie Monsters!". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "The Giant Gila Monster (1959) - Overview". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Kalat, David (2007). A critical history and filmography of Toho's Godzilla® series (reprint ed.). Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland & Co., Inc., Publishers. ISBN 9780786430994.
- "It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955) - Overview". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved 3 July 2016.
- Newitz, Annalee (4 November 2010). "The world isn't ready for Mega-Shark vs. Crocosaurus". io9. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- Mendelson, Scott (25 May 2011). "HuffPost Review — Mega Shark Vs. Giant Octopus (2009)". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- Bishop, Bryan (7 December 2013). "Machine battles nature in this insane trailer for 'Mega Shark vs. Mecha Shark'". The Verge. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- Cady, Brian. "Mighty Joe Young (1949)". Leonard Maltin classic movie guide. Turner Classic Movies by arrangement with Penguin Group. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- Ebert, Roger. "Mighty Joe Young". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- "Mothra (1961)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- Weiler, A. H. (12 July 1962). "Screen: 'Hatari!' Captures the Drama of Tanganyika Wildlife:Howard Hawks Film Opens at DeMille Neighborhood Houses Offer 2 Twin Bills". The New York Times. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Reptilicus (1962) - Overview". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- Galbraith IV, Stuart (2008). The Toho Studios Story: A History and Complete Filmography. Scarecrow Press. ISBN 1461673747.
- Alt, Matt (14 May 2016). "Godzilla Returns to Japan". The New Yorker. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- Barr, Jason (2016). The Kaiju Film: A Critical Study of Cinema's Biggest Monsters. ISBN 9780786499632.
- "Review: 'Tarantula'". Variety. 31 December 1954. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Gallman, Brett (19 August 2012). "Horror Reviews - Tentacles (1977)". Oh! The Horror. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- Ward, Mikey (7 March 2016). "Zarkorr! The Invader (1996)". Mondo Exploito. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- Bellotto, Adam (July 24, 2015). "A new renaissance for giant monster movies is almost upon us". News. Film school rejects. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- Berry, Mark F. (2005). The dinosaur filmography. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland. ISBN 9780786424535.
- Farlow, James O.; Brett-Surman, M.K. (2000). "Dinosaurs and the media". In Farlow, James O.; Brett-Surman, M.K. The complete dinosaur. Bloomington, Ind. [u.a.]: Indiana Univ. Press. pp. 675–706. ISBN 9780253213136.
- Landis, John (2011). Monsters in the movies. Penguin. ISBN 9780756688462.
- Marrero, Robert (1994). Giant monster movies : an illustrated survey (1st American ed.). Key West, Fla.: Fantasma Books. ISBN 9780963498229.