List of High Commissioners of the United Kingdom to New Zealand
The High Commissioner of the United Kingdom to New Zealand is the United Kingdom's foremost diplomatic representative in New Zealand, and head of the UK's diplomatic mission in New Zealand. As the United Kingdom and New Zealand are fellow members of the Commonwealth of Nations, their diplomatic relations are at governmental level, rather than between heads of state. Thus, the countries exchange high commissioners, rather than ambassadors.
The British high commissioner to New Zealand is also non-resident governor of the Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Islands, a British Overseas Territory, and non-resident high commissioner to the Independent State of Samoa. Besides the High Commission in Wellington, the UK government maintains a consulate general in Auckland.
List of high commissioners
The following persons have served as British High Commissioner to New Zealand since 1939:
- 1939–1945: Sir Harry Batterbee
- 1945–1949: Sir Patrick Duff
- 1949–1953: Sir Roy Price
- 1953–1957: General Sir Geoffry Scoones
- 1957–1959: Sir George Mallaby
- 1959–1963: Sir Francis Cumming-Bruce
- 1969–1973: Sir Arthur Galsworthy
- 1973–1975: Sir David Aubrey Scott
- 1976–1980: Sir Harold Smedley
- 1980–1984: Sir Richard Stratton
- 1984–1987: Terence O'Leary
- 1987–1990: Robin Byatt
- 1990–1994: David Moss
- 1994–1998: Robert Alston
- 1998–2001: Martin Williams
- 2001–2006: Richard Fell
- 2006–2010: George Fergusson 
- 2010–2014: Victoria Treadell
- 2014–2017: Jonathan Sinclair 
- 2018–present[update]: Laura Clarke
- "British High Commission Wellington". gov.uk.
- "British Consulate General Auckland". gov.uk.
- "Change of High Commissioner to New Zealand". Press release. Foreign & Commonwealth Office. 18 February 2002. Archived from the original on 5 June 2011.
- "Change of High Commissioner to New Zealand". Press release. Foreign & Commonwealth Office. 8 February 2008. Archived from the original on 5 June 2011.
- "Change of High Commissioner to New Zealand". Press release. Foreign & Commonwealth Office. 10 September 2009. Archived from the original on 19 October 2009.
- "Jonathan Sinclair". gov.uk.
- "Change of British High Commissioner to New Zealand". Foreign & Commonwealth Office. 13 September 2017.
- UK and New Zealand, gov.uk