Highways in New South Wales
The present highway network in New South Wales, Australia was established in August 1928 when the Country Roads Board (the predecessor of the Department of Main Roads and the Roads and Traffic Authority) superseded the 1924 main road classifications and established the basis of the existing New South Wales (NSW) main road system. (the full list of main roads gazetted appears in the NSW Government Gazette of 17 August 1928). The number of a road for administrative purposes is not the same as the route number it carries e.g. the Great Western Highway is Highway 5 for administrative purposes but is signposted as part of route A32.)
Many major routes in New South Wales, including Sydney motorways and even some routes named as "highways" are not officially gazetted as highways. For a list of all numbered routes in New South Wales, see List of road routes in New South Wales.
While highways in many other countries are typically identified by number, highways in Australia, including New South Wales, are known mostly by names. These names typically come from 19th-century explorers, important politicians or geographic regions.
List of Gazetted Highways
|Road number||Road name||Route||Date of original gazettal||Distance||Notes|
|HW1||Princes Highway||Sydney to Victoria border via Wollongong|
|HW2||Hume Highway (includes Hume Motorway)||Sydney to Victoria border via Goulburn, Gundagai, Albury|
|HW3||Federal Highway||Hume Highway to ACT border|
|HW4||Snowy Mountains Highway||Princes Highway to Hume Highway via Cooma||Named as Monaro Highway until 1955|
|HW5||Great Western Highway||Sydney to Bathurst|
|HW6||Mid-Western Highway||Bathurst to Hay|
|HW7||Mitchell Highway||Bathurst to Queensland border via Dubbo|
|HW8||Barrier Highway||Nyngan to South Australia border|
|HW9||New England Highway||Pacific Highway to Queensland border via Tamworth|
|HW10||Pacific Highway||Sydney to Queensland border via Newcastle and Coffs Harbour|
|HW11||Oxley Highway||Pacific Highway to Mitchell Highway via Tamworth||653 km (406 mi)|
|HW12||Gwydir Highway||Pacific Highway to Castlereagh Highway via Moree|
|HW13||Cumberland Highway||Liverpool to Wahroonga|
|HW14||Sturt Highway||Hume Highway to South Australia border via Wagga Wagga||8 August 1933|
|HW15||Barton Highway||Yass to ACT border|
|HW16||Bruxner Highway||Pacific Highway to Newell Highway via Lismore|
|HW17||Newell Highway||Victoria border to Queensland border via Nerrandera and Dubbo|
|HW18||Castlereagh Highway||Lithgow to Queensland border via Mudgee|
|HW19||Monaro Highway||ACT border to Victoria border via Cooma||25 March 1938||285.1 km (177.2 mi)|
|HW20||Riverina Highway||Deniliquin to Victoria border|
|HW21||Cobb Highway||Wilcannia to Victoria border|
|HW22||Silver City Highway||Sturt Highway to Queensland border via Broken Hill|
|HW23||Unnamed (Newcastle Inner City Bypass)||Windale to Sandgate|
|HW24||Mount Lindesay Highway||to Qld Border, via||Decommissioned 12 February 1982|
|HW25||Illawarra Highway||Hume Highway to Princes Highway via Moss Vale|
|HW26||Calga–Ourimbah Expressway||Decommissioned after completion of parallel section of Pacific Motorway|
|HW27||Golden Highway||New England Highway to Newell Highway via Dunedoo|
|HW28||Carnarvon Highway||Moree to Queensland border|
|HW29||Kamilaroi Highway||Bourke to New England Highway|
|HW30||Central Coast Highway||Pacific Motorway to Pacific Highway via Gosford|
|HW31||Gold Coast Highway||Pacific Motorway to Queensland border||1 May 2009|
- Highways in Australia for highways in other states and territories
- List of highways in Australia for roads named as highways, but not necessarily classified as highways
- List of road routes in New South Wales for all major routes in New South Wales
- Roads & Maritime Services (January 2014). "Schedule of Classified Roads and Unclassified Regional Roads" (PDF). New South Wales Government. Archived (PDF) from the original on 22 September 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "The Sturt Highway". Main Roads (NSW Department of Main Roads) V (I): 20. November 1933.
- "Monaro Highway" (PDF). Main Roads. NSW Department of Main Roads. December 1959. pp. 44–49. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Google (11 Aug 2013). "Monaro Highway" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 11 Aug 2013.
- Daley, Michael (1 May 2009). "Reclassification of roads in association with Pacific Highway - Tugun Bypass in Tweed Shire" (PDF). Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales. NSW Government. p. 1947. Retrieved 23 September 2013.