List of hijackings of Indian aeroplanes
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of hijacking of Indian aeroplanes)
- 1971 January 30 : An Indian Airlines plane on its way from Srinagar to Jammu was hijacked by Hashim Quereshi and Ashraf Quereshi of the JKLF, who took it to Lahore. Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, then Foreign Minister of Pakistan rushed to Lahore and met the hijackers and helped them get maximum international publicity. On February 1, he persuaded them to release the crew and passengers who were then sent by road to Amritsar. The Government of India sought permission of Pakistan to send a replacement crew to fly the aircraft back to India. Pakistan authorities denied the permission. Instead it is alleged they supplied petrol to the hijackers with which they burnt the aircraft on February 2. From Lahore Airport the hijackers were taken into a procession as heroes.
- 1981 September 29 : An Indian airlines plane on flight from Srinagar to Delhi was hijacked by Sikhs to get appropriate rights from Hindu State and taken to Lahore. Pakistan took commando action using it's elite SSG which skillfully cleared the plane and got all passengers released.
- 1982 August 22: A lone militant, armed with a pistol and a hand grenade, hijacked a Boeing 737 on a scheduled flight from Bombay to New Delhi carrying 69 persons. Indian security forces killed the hijacker and rescued all passengers.
- 1982 August: An Indian Airlines flight from Jodhpur to Delhi was hijacked. The hijacked plane landed at Amritsar.
- 1984 July 6 : An Indian Airlines jet carrying 255 passengers and a crew of nine on flight from Srinagar to New Delhi was hijacked and forced to land in Lahore, Pakistan.The hijackers were reported to be armed with pistols, daggers and explosives. The hijackers' surrender to Pakistan authorities ended a 17- hour ordeal for the plane's passengers and crew, who remained aboard the A-300 Airbus in suffocating heat, with little food and water.
- 1984 August 24: Seven young hijackers demanded an Indian Airlines jetliner, on a domestic flight from Chandigarh to Srinagar with 100 passengers on board, be flown to the United States. The plane was taken to Lahore and then to Karachi and finally to Dubai where the defense minister of UAE negotiated the release of the passengers. It was related to the secessionist struggle in the Indian state of Punjab.The hijacker was subsequently repatriated by UAE authorities to India, who handed over the pistol recovered from the hijacker. Investigations revealed that the pistol was manufactured in Germany and was part of 75 pistols consigned from Germany to CAO, PO Box 1040, Islamabad.The Pakistani Foreign Ministry denied the accusation.
- 1993 April 24: Indian Airlines aircraft bound for Srinagar via Jammu from Delhi is hijacked . The hijacker wanted to take the plane to Lahore but Pakistan authorities refused permission. The plane landed at Amritsar where the hijacker was killed and passengers freed.
- 1999-2000: Indian Airlines Flight 814 flying from Kathmandu is hijacked and diverted it to Kandahar. After a week-long stand-off India agrees to release three jailed Kashmiri militants in exchange for the hostages. 1 hostage was stabbed to death and his body thrown on the tarmac as a "warning attack"