List of hip hop genres
|This article does not cite any references (sources). (October 2008)|
Hip hop music can be subdivided into various subgenres, fusions with other genres, and regional hip hop scenes.
Historical time periods
1Genres of hip hop that are connected with rave culture
2Mix of pop, hip hop, soul, rhythm and blues, and gospel
3subgenre of contemporary R&B and mix of hip hop and soul
4Mix of Electronicore and hip hop
5Mix of hip hop and traditional Caribbean or Polynesian genres
6Combination of hip hop with stylistic elements from the Chappist or steampunk subcultures and stereotypical English obsessions such as cricket, tea and the weather.
United States regional scenes
American hip hop regional scenes and genres that came from them.
World genres influenced by hip hop
- Bongo Flava - Originally from Tanzania
- Cumbia rap - from Colombia
- Grime - from London, though more connected to rave culture.
- Hiplife - hip hop and highlife from Ghana
- Igbo rap - from Southeast Nigeria
- Kwaito - South African house/hip hop fusion
- Low Bap - originally from Greece
- Merenrap - from the Dominican Republic
- Motswako - from Botswana and South Africa
- Reggae Español/Spanish Reggae - from Panama
- Reggaeton - from the Caribbean, mostly Puerto Rico
- Trip hop (or Bristol sound) - from Bristol, England
- Urban Pasifika - from New Zealand