List of instant foods
This is a list of instant foods. Instant foods are convenience foods which require minimal preparation, typically just adding water or milk. Some authors define "instant" food as requiring less than five minutes of preparation and "ultra-instant food" as requiring less than one minute. Instant foods are often dehydrated, freeze-dried, or condensed.
- Instant baby food – dehydrated baby food was produced by Gerber and Heinz in the 1980s. Dehydrated baby food products produced by both companies consisted of dehydrated food flakes. The Gerber product never came into fruition as a widely used product; it was only test-run in Omaha, Nebraska for around eight to nine months, and consumer adoption was not sufficient for the product to go into mass production.
- Bird's Custard
- Camping food
- Condensed soup
- Powdered eggs
- Instant gravy  – Bisto is a brand of powdered instant gravy that has been produced and consumed in Great Britain since 1908.
- Instant mashed potatoes 
- Smash – a brand of Instant mashed potatoes in the United Kingdom
- Instant noodle 
- Instant oatmeal – Quaker Instant Oatmeal is an example
- Instant pudding 
- Instant porridge  – an example is Cream of Wheat brand, which includes an instant variety in its product line
- Instant rice 
- Instant curry
- S&B Foods - an instant curry brand
- Instant soup
- Instant sauce mixes
- Instant tofu powder – introduced and produced circa 1966 by Japan Protein Industry (Nihon Tanpaku Kogyo), it was used at that time as a time-saver for the production of tofu. Later in 1973, a brand of instant tofu powder named Hausu Hontôfu was produced and marketed to consumers by the Hausu Foods Company.
Mixed Bird's Custard
A prepared chicken & vegetable cup-a-soup
A box of U.S.-made powdered eggs, prepared using whole dried eggs
- Awake – a short-lived artificial orange juice formulated by General Foods Corporation and introduced in 1964. It was a predecessor to Tang.
- Instant breakfast 
- Chocolate beverages
- Instant coffee 
- Drink mix 
- Freeze-dried fruit juices 
- Powdered milk – in a 1986 session in Moscow, Russia, the International Dairy Federation defined instant skim milk powder as qualifying for the term "instant" when no more than fifteen seconds are required for all lumps to disappear when the powder is mixed with water and stirred.
- Tang – a fruit-flavored drink that was originally formulated by General Foods Corporation food scientist William A. Mitchell in 1957. It was first marketed in powdered form in 1959. The Tang brand is owned by Mondelēz International.
- Instant tea 
- Field ration – a field ration, combat ration or ration pack is a canned or pre-packaged meal, easily prepared and eaten, transported by military troops on the battlefield.
- Military rations
- Dickinson, E.; Leser, M.E. (2007). Food Colloids: Self-assembly and Material Science. Royal Society of Chemistry. Royal Society of Chemistry. p. 413. ISBN 978-0-85404-271-5. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Bhattacharya, S. (2014). Conventional and Advanced Food Processing Technologies. Wiley. p. 314. ISBN 978-1-118-40632-8. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Ortega-Rivas, E.; Juliano, P.; Yan, H. (2006). Food Powders: Physical Properties, Processing, and Functionality. Food Engineering Series. Springer US. p. 285. ISBN 978-0-387-27613-7. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Caballero, B.; Finglas, P.; Toldra, F. (2015). Encyclopedia of Food and Health. Elsevier Science. p. 100. ISBN 978-0-12-384953-3. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- Kanner, Bernice (November 1986). Into the Mouths of Babes. New York Media, LLC. p. 30. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Forbes. Forbes Incorporated. 1984. pp. 206–207. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Peter, K.V. (2012). Handbook of Herbs and Spices. Woodhead Publishing Series in Food Science, Technology and Nutrition. Elsevier Science. p. 112. ISBN 978-0-85709-567-1. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Ferrell, O.C.; Fraedrich, J. (2009). Business Ethics 2009 Update: Ethical Decision Making and Cases. Cengage Learning. p. 114. ISBN 978-1-4390-4281-6. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Pardey, Lin; Pardey, Larry (2014). The Care and Feeding of Sailing Crew: fourth edition. l&L Pardey Publications. pp. 252–254. ISBN 978-1-929214-36-5. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Machlin, S. (2011). American Food by the Decades. ABC-CLIO. p. 161. ISBN 978-0-313-37699-3. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- British Industry Week. CBI/INI. 1968. p. 195. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- Food Product Development. Magazines for Industry. 1979. p. 68. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- Pope, J.; Katahn, M. (2005). The Low-Fat Supermarket Shopper's Guide: Making Healthy Choices from Thousands of Brand-Name Items. W. W. Norton, Incorporated. p. 73. ISBN 978-0-393-32585-0. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- Brown, A.C. (2010). Understanding Food: Principles and Preparation. Available Titles CourseMate Series. Cengage Learning. p. 351. ISBN 978-0-538-73498-1. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- Backpacker. Active Interest Media, Inc. August 2000. p. 41. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- Wyman, C. (2004). Better Than Homemade: Amazing Foods that Changed the Way We Eat. Quirk Books. p. 59. ISBN 978-1-931686-42-6. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- Shurtleff, W.; Aoyagi, A. (2012). History of Soy Sauce (160 CE To 2012). Soyinfo Center. p. 1585. ISBN 978-1-928914-44-0. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Smith, A. (2013). The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America. The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America. OUP USA. p. 241. ISBN 978-0-19-973496-2. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- Lantos, G.P. (2015). Consumer Behavior in Action: Real-life Applications for Marketing Managers. Taylor & Francis. p. 45. ISBN 978-1-317-47384-8. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- Backpacker. Active Interest Media, Inc. 1975. p. 24. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- India Today. Living Media India Pvt. Limited. 1985. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- Pradeepkumar, T. (2008). Management of Horticultural Crops. Horticulture Science Series. New India Publishing Agency. p. 569. ISBN 978-81-89422-49-3. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- Steyn, Mark (November 2004). "Tastemaker With a Sweet Tooth". Atlantic Monthly.
- "Spinoff Frequently Asked Questions". NASA.gov.
- "Tang breakfast drink". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). (advertisement). February 12, 1960. p. 27.
- Zeng, Z.; Wang, J. (2010). Advances in Neural Network Research and Applications. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. p. 894. ISBN 978-3-642-12990-2. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- The American Food Journal. American Food Journal, Incorporated. 1921. pp. 11–12. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Peter, K.V. (2004). Handbook of Herbs and Spices. Handbook of Herbs and Spices. CRC Press. p. 280. ISBN 978-1-85573-721-1. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- Lovegren, S. (2005). Fashionable Food: Seven Decades of Food Fads. University of Chicago Press. p. 228. ISBN 978-0-226-49407-4. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Davis, E.L. (2009). Encyclopedia of Contemporary Chinese Culture. Encyclopedias of Contemporary Culture Series. Routledge. p. 385. ISBN 978-0-415-77716-2. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- Solt, G. (2014). The Untold History of Ramen: How Political Crisis in Japan Spawned a Global Food Craze. California Studies in Food and Culture. University of California Press. p. 113. ISBN 978-0-520-27756-4. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- Mehta, Foram (August 12, 2016). "New Research Shows Instant Noodles are Especially Harmful for Women". India.com. Retrieved May 24, 2017.