List of international cricket centuries at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium
The M.A. Chidambaram Stadium, also known as Chepauk is a cricket ground in Chennai, India. Formerly known as the Madras Cricket Club Ground it now has a capacity of 50,000. The ground has hosted 30 Test matches, the first of these was played in 1934 between India and England. The ground has also staged 12 One Day Internationals (ODIs), the first was played between India and Australia in 1987.
The first Test century scored at the ground was by the Englishman Cyril Walters. Walters's innings of 102 was scored against India in 1934. The Indian Virender Sehwag holds the record for the highest score at the ground, 319 from 304 balls, which was made in 2008 against South Africa. This was Sehwag's second triple century, the only other Test players that have scored 2 triple centuries are Donald Bradman and Brian Lara. The record for the highest score by an overseas player belongs to the Australian Dean Jones who made 210 in 1986. Sachin Tendulkar is the only player to have scored 5 Test centuries at the ground. A century in each innings of a match has been achieved twice at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium. The Sri Lankan Duleep Mendis made 2 innings of 105 against India in 1982 and the Englishman Andrew Strauss scored 123 and 108 in 2008, also against India.
7 ODI centuries have been made at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium. The first of these was scored by the Australian Geoff Marsh who made 110 in 1987. The Pakistani Saeed Anwar holds the record for the highest ODI scored at the ground with 194, from 146 deliveries against India in 1997. Anwars innings was, at the time, a world record having beating the previous best of 189 not out by Viv Richards. Anwar's record stood until August 2009 when it was equalled by the Zimbabwean Charles Coventry and then, in 2010, beaten by Sachin Tendulkar. The highest score by an Indian batsman at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium is 139 not out which was made by MS Dhoni in 2007. At the time Dhoni was playing for an Asian XI against an African XI.
- * denotes that the batsman was not out.
- Inns. denotes the number of the innings in the match.
- Balls denotes the number of balls faced in an innings.
- NR denotes that the number of balls was not recorded.
- Parentheses next to the player's score denotes his century number at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium.
- The column title Date refers to the date the match started.
- The column title Result refers to whether the player's team won, lost or if the match was drawn or tied.
The following table summarises the Test centuries scored at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium.
|1||102||Walters, CyrilCyril Walters||England||NR||3||India||10 February 1934||Won|
|2||109||Rae, AllanAllan Rae||West Indies||NR||1||India||27 January 1949||Won|
|3||160||Stollmeyer, JeffreyJeffrey Stollmeyer||West Indies||NR||1||India||27 January 1949||Won|
|4||111||Roy, PankajPankaj Roy||India||NR||2||England||6 February 1952||Won|
|5||130*||Umrigar, PollyPolly Umrigar||India||NR||2||England||6 February 1952||Won|
|6||109||Engineer, FarokhFarokh Engineer||India||NR||1||West Indies||13 January 1967||Drawn|
|7||125||Borde, ChanduChandu Borde||India||NR||1||West Indies||13 January 1967||Drawn|
|8||102||Walters, DougDoug Walters||Australia||NR||1||India||24 December 1969||Won|
|9||124||Viswanath, GundappaGundappa Viswanath (1/2)||India||NR||2||West Indies||12 January 1979||Won|
|10||162||Border, AllanAllan Border (1/2)||Australia||360||1||India||11 September 1979||Drawn|
|11||100||Hughes, KimKim Hughes||Australia||204||1||India||11 September 1979||Drawn|
|12||166||Gavaskar, SunilSunil Gavaskar (1/3)||India||373||2||Pakistan||15 January 1980||Won|
|13||222||Viswanath, GundappaGundappa Viswanath (2/2)||India||374||1||England||13 January 1982||Drawn|
|14||140||Sharma, YashpalYashpal Sharma||India||298||1||England||13 January 1982||Drawn|
|15||127||Gooch, GrahamGraham Gooch||England||181||2||India||13 January 1982||Drawn|
|16||105||Mendis, DuleepDuleep Mendis (1/2)||Sri Lanka||123||1||India||17 September 1982||Drawn|
|17||155||Gavaskar, SunilSunil Gavaskar (2/3)||India||293||2||Sri Lanka||17 September 1982||Drawn|
|18||114*||Patil, SandeepSandeep Patil||India||NR||2||Sri Lanka||17 September 1982||Drawn|
|19||105||Mendis, DuleepDuleep Mendis (2/2)||Sri Lanka||NR||3||India||17 September 1982||Drawn|
|20||236*||Gavaskar, SunilSunil Gavaskar (3/3)||India||425||2||West Indies||24 December 1983||Drawn|
|21||201||Fowler, GraemeGraeme Fowler||England||409||2||India||13 January 1985||Won|
|22||207||Gatting, MikeMike Gatting||England||309||2||India||13 January 1985||Won|
|23||105||Azharuddin, MohammadMohammad Azharuddin||India||218||3||England||13 January 1985||Lost|
|24||122||Boon, DavidDavid Boon||Australia||258||1||India||18 September 1986||Tied|
|25||210||Jones, DeanDean Jones||Australia||330||1||India||18 September 1986||Tied|
|26||106||Border, AllanAllan Border (2/2)||Australia||172||1||India||18 September 1986||Tied|
|27||119||Dev, KapilKapil Dev (1/2)||India||138||2||Australia||18 September 1986||Tied|
|28||101||Mohammad, ShoaibShoaib Mohammad||Pakistan||NR||1||India||3 February 1987||Drawn|
|29||135*||Khan, ImranImran Khan||Pakistan||230||1||India||3 February 1987||Drawn|
|30||123||Srikkanth, KrisKris Srikkanth||India||149||2||Pakistan||3 February 1987||Drawn|
|31||109||Dev, KapilKapil Dev (2/2)||India||124||1||West Indies||11 January 1988||Won|
|32||106||Sidhu, NavjotNavjot Sidhu||India||273||1||England||11 February 1993||Won|
|33||165||Tendulkar, SachinSachin Tendulkar (1/5)||India||296||1||England||11 February 1993||Won|
|34||117||Lewis, ChrisChris Lewis||England||140||3||India||11 February 1993||Lost|
|35||155*||Tendulkar, SachinSachin Tendulkar (2/5)||India||191||3||Australia||6 March 1998||Won|
|36||141||Afridi, ShahidShahid Afridi||Pakistan||191||3||India||28 January 1999||Won|
|37||136||Tendulkar, SachinSachin Tendulkar (3/5)||India||273||4||Pakistan||28 January 1999||Lost|
|38||203||Hayden, MatthewMatthew Hayden||Australia||320||1||India||18 May 2001||Lost|
|39||126||Tendulkar, SachinSachin Tendulkar (4/5)||India||230||2||Australia||18 May 2001||Won|
|40||155||Sehwag, VirenderVirender Sehwag (1/2)||India||221||2||Australia||14 October 2004||Drawn|
|41||104||Martyn, DamienDamien Martyn||Australia||210||3||India||14 October 2004||Drawn|
|42||159||Amla, HashimHashim Amla||South Africa||262||1||India||26 March 2008||Drawn|
|43||319||Sehwag, VirenderVirender Sehwag (2/2)||India||304||2||South Africa||26 March 2008||Drawn|
|44||111||Dravid, RahulRahul Dravid||India||291||2||South Africa||26 March 2008||Drawn|
|45||155*||McKenzie, NeilNeil McKenzie||South Africa||339||3||India||26 March 2008||Drawn|
|46||123||Strauss, AndrewAndrew Strauss (1/2)||England||233||1||India||11 December 2008||Lost|
|47||108||Strauss, AndrewAndrew Strauss (2/2)||England||244||3||India||11 December 2008||Lost|
|48||108||Collingwood, PaulPaul Collingwood||England||250||3||India||11 December 2008||Lost|
|49||103*||Tendulkar, SachinSachin Tendulkar (5/5)||India||196||4||England||11 December 2008||Won|
|50||130||Clarke, MichaelMichael Clarke||Australia||246||1||India||22 February 2013||Lost|
|51||107||Kohli, ViratVirat Kohli||India||206||2||Australia||22 February 2013||Won|
|52||224||Dhoni, Mahendra SinghMahendra Singh Dhoni||India||265||2||Australia||22 February 2013||Won|
One Day International centuries
The following table summarises the One Day International centuries scored at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium.
|1||110||Marsh, GeoffGeoff Marsh||Australia||141||1||India||9 October 1987||Won|
|2||130||Harris, ChrisChris Harris||New Zealand||124||1||Australia||11 March 1996||Lost|
|3||110||Waugh, MarkMark Waugh||Australia||112||2||New Zealand||11 March 1996||Won|
|4||194||Anwar, SaeedSaeed Anwar||Pakistan||146||1||India||21 May 1997||Won|
|5||107||Dravid, RahulRahul Dravid||India||116||2||Pakistan||21 May 1997||Lost|
|6||107||Jayawardene, MahelaMahela Jayawardene||Asia XI||106||1||Africa XI||10 June 2007||Won|
|7||139*||Dhoni, Mahendra SinghMahendra Singh Dhoni (1/2)||Asia XI||97||1||Africa XI||10 June 2007||Won|
|8||113||Singh, YuvrajYuvraj Singh||India||123||1||West Indies||20 March 2011||Won|
|9||104*||Tiwary, ManojManoj Tiwary||India||126||1||West Indies||11 December 2011||Won|
|10||119||Pollard, KieronKieron Pollard||West Indies||110||2||India||11 December 2011||Lost|
|11||113*||Dhoni, Mahendra SinghMahendra Singh Dhoni (2/2)||India||125||1||Pakistan||30 December 2012||Lost|
|12||101*||Jamshed, NasirNasir Jamshed||Pakistan||132||2||India||30 December 2012||Won|
- "MA Chidambaram Stadium — Cricinfo profile". Cricinfo. ESPN. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "Statsguru: MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chepauk, Chennai / Test matches / Match result list". Cricinfo. ESPN. Retrieved 19 April 2010.
- "Statsguru: MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chepauk, Chennai / One-Day Internationals matches / Match result list". Cricinfo. ESPN. Retrieved 19 April 2010.
- "Statsguru: Test matches / Batting records / Innings by innings list". Cricinfo. ESPN. Retrieved 19 April 2010.
- "Statsguru: One-Day Internationals / Batting records / Innings by innings list". Cricinfo. ESPN. Retrieved 19 April 2010.
- "Records / One-Day Internationals / Batting records / Most runs in an innings". Cricinfo. ESPN. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- "Statsguru: Test matches / Batting records / Innings by innings list / Match result : Won". Cricinfo. ESPN. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "Statsguru: One Day International matches / Batting records / Innings by innings list / Match result : Won". Cricinfo. ESPN. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "Statsguru: Test matches / Batting records / Innings by innings list / Match result : Lost". Cricinfo. ESPN. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "Statsguru: One Day International matches / Batting records / Innings by innings list / Match result : Lost". Cricinfo. ESPN. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "Statsguru: Test matches / Batting records / Innings by innings list / Match result : Drawn". Cricinfo. ESPN. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "Statsguru: Test matches / Batting records / Innings by innings list / Match result : Tied". Cricinfo. ESPN. Retrieved 24 August 2011.