List of islands of England
- 1 List of islands
- 2 Largest islands in England
- 3 List of English islands by population
- 4 Places called "island" or "isle" that are not islands
- 5 See also
- 6 References
List of islands
Offshore and inshore islands
To group islands by geographical region, sort the table by "Island Group/Location" (click the icon by the column heading).
There are numerous islands within freshwater lakes and rivers in England. They are most numerous in the Lake District but other concentrations occur within the Norfolk Broads, some major reservoirs and principal rivers.
In the Lake District
To group islands by lake, sort the table by "Lake" (click the icon by the column heading).
In the River Thames
Inland islands elsewhere in England
To group islands by location, sort the table by "Location" (click the icon by the column heading).
|Alney Island||River Severn|
|Big Island||Carsington Water|
|Bird Island||Stocks Reservoir, Lancashire|
|Bridgemarsh Island||River Crouch, Essex|
|Denny Island||Chew Valley Lake|
|Flat Island||Carsington Water|
|Haddiscoe Island (or Chedgrave Island)||between River Waveney, River Yare and New Cut|
|Horseshoe Island||Carsington Water|
|Lady Island||Hornsea Mere|
|Millfields Island||Carsington Water|
|Peasholm Island||Peasholm Lake, Scarborough|
|Pleasure Island||Hickling Broad, Norfolk|
|Sailing Club Island||Carsington Water|
|Shiningford Island||Carsington Water|
|Swan Island||Hornsea Mere|
|Willow Island||Stocks Reservoir, Lancashire|
Largest islands in England
|Rank||Island||Area (sq mi)||Area (km²)|
|1||Isle of Wight||147.09||380.99|
|2||Isle of Sheppey||36.31||94.04|
List of English islands by population
|Rank||Island||Population (2001 UK census)|
|2||Isle of Wight||132,731|
|3||Isle of Sheppey||37,852|
|7||Mersea Island||about 7,200|
|15||Roa Island||about 100|
|18||St Michael's Mount||35  [2011 Census]|
|20||Burgh Island||about 12|
Places called "island" or "isle" that are not islands
Some places in the British Isles are called islands or isles, but are not. Some of these were formerly islands surrounded by marshland. Others are peninsulas or just coastal settlements. They include:
- Isle of Athelney
- Isle of Axholme
- Brown's Island, Rutland Water
- Cobholm Island, part of Great Yarmouth
- Isle of Dogs
- Isle of Elmley part of Sheppey
- Isle of Ely
- Isle of Grain
- Isle of Harty part of Sheppey
- Isle of Oxney
- Isle of Portland
- Isle of Purbeck
- Kelham Island
- Ramsey Island
- Spike Island
- Stones Island, Carsington Water, Derbyshire
- Sunk Island
- Isle of Thanet separated by the Wantsum Channel
- The Isle, within tight loop of the River Severn, Shropshire
- The Island
- Thorney Island, Cambridgeshire
- Isle of Wedmore
- List of islands of Scotland
- List of islands of Wales
- List of islands of Ireland
- List of islands of the British Isles
- List of islands of the United Kingdom
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-05-10. Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-02-22. Retrieved 2008-05-26.
- "Photographic image - Carsington Water Map" (JPG). Carsingtonbirdclub.co.uk. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Genuki: St Michael's Mount, Cornwall". Genuki.org.uk. Archived from the original on 7 July 2001. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- Riley, Sue. "The king of Piel Island brings a modern approach to the monarchy". Lancashire Life. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Polling District Order Sheet" (PDF). Tendring District Council. p. 2. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 October 2016. Retrieved 10 October 2016.