Lists of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States
Below are lists of people killed by law enforcement in the United States, both on duty and off.
Although Congress instructed the Attorney General in 1994 to compile and publish annual statistics on police use of excessive force, this was never carried out, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation does not collect these data either.
The annual average number of justifiable homicides alone was previously estimated to be near 400. Updated estimates from the Bureau of Justice Statistics released in 2015 estimate the number to be around 930 per year, or 1240 if assuming that non-reporting local agencies kill people at the same rate as reporting agencies. The Washington Post has tracked shootings (only) since 2015, reporting 990 shootings in that year, and 963 in 2016.
The Guardian newspaper runs its own database, The Counted, which tracked US killings by police and other law enforcement agencies including from gunshots, tasers, car accidents and custody deaths. In 2015 they and counted 1146 deaths and 1093 deaths for 2016. The database can be viewed by state, gender, race/ethnicity, age, classification (e.g., "gunshot"), and whether the person killed was armed. The Washington Post also keeps a database of police killings for 2015 to 2017. The database can also classify people in various categories including race, age, weapon etc. The database lists 995 deaths for 2015, 963 for 2016 and 976 for 2017.
Lists of killings
|Pre-2009 (170)[a]||List not separated by month|
|2009 (72)[a]||List not separated by month|
|2011 (172)[a]||List not separated by month|
- Not split by month; year links to list
- List of killings by law enforcement officers by countries
- Death in custody
- Encounter killings by police (India)
- List of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty in the United States
- List of cases of police brutality
- Lists of killings by law enforcement officers
- Lynching in the United States
- Police brutality in the United States
- Police misconduct
- Police riot
- Police use of deadly force in the United States
- Tony Dokoupil (January 14, 2014). "What is police brutality? Depends on where you live". NBC News.
- Johnson, Kevin (October 15, 2008). "FBI: Justifiable homicides at highest in more than a decade". USA Today.
- Bialik, Carl (March 6, 2015). "A New Estimate Of Killings By Police Is Way Higher — And Still Too Low". FiveThirtyEight.
- "People shot and killed by police this year". Washington Post. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Sullivan, John; Hawkins, Derek (1 April 2016). "In fatal shootings by police, 1 in 5 officers' names go undisclosed". The Washington Post. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- "The Counted: People killed by police in the US". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "The Counted: People killed by police in the US". The Washington Post. Retrieved 30 December 2017.
- The Counted: Tracking people killed by police in the United States – The Guardian
- Washington Post database of police shootings, 2015–2018 – The Washington Post
- US police killings undercounted by half, study using Guardian data finds – The Guardian. 11 October 2017.
- GunMemorial searchable database